10W vs 10W-30 vs SAE 30 cylinder wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Hold on, guys..... Note the fine print at the lower left corner of the graph. The designation for the tested engine, "OM616" refers to the four cylinder Mercedes-Benz passenger car engine of the seventies to early eighties and not marketed here since 1983. Oelmotor, is what M-B calls a diesel. Shed any light on the report?

I don't think the fact that this a diesel is dispositive one way or the other.

Quote:

If any body needs straight 10w...I can get Cenex 10w HDEO...in my neck of the woods...Apparently there are still some "old-school" farmers in Nebraska that run 10w in January and February when for about 3 weeks we get a cold spell...Highs never get above 20f...lows are below zero...at the local coop they also sell 20w HDEO...and in the winter time the lobby of the coop is stacked full of 10w and 20w...At the local CarQuest they sell 20w...I will stop by today and check out specs on it...it is CarQuest brand oil made by Ashland...by the way if I had a 5w-20 spec'd car I would consider 20w in the summer...

I wonder how long it takes to drain the SAE30 out of the family tractor during one of your cold spells?

Quote:

Quote:

.but all 10w oils that I've ever seen are, in fact, 10w(20).

I hadn't noticed that, so I checked three of them and they would all qualify as 10W-20 oils as long as the HTHS was over 2.6. HTHS wasn't listed.

The PZ LL was only 2.4 ..so does that rule it out in wearing the "20" thingie
confused.gif

nono.gif
According to this chart SAE 30 provides better protection even at low temperatures between 20 -30 degrees Centigrade. That's contrary to all I've ever read.
crazy.gif

Quote:

Quote:

If any body needs straight 10w...I can get Cenex 10w HDEO...in my neck of the woods...Apparently there are still some "old-school" farmers in Nebraska that run 10w in January and February when for about 3 weeks we get a cold spell...Highs never get above 20f...lows are below zero...at the local coop they also sell 20w HDEO...and in the winter time the lobby of the coop is stacked full of 10w and 20w...At the local CarQuest they sell 20w...I will stop by today and check out specs on it...it is CarQuest brand oil made by Ashland...by the way if I had a 5w-20 spec'd car I would consider 20w in the summer...

I wonder how long it takes to drain the SAE30 out of the family tractor during one of your cold spells?

pat2.gif
Hah!...funny you should mention this...it helps if you have a heated shop...but if you don't...I guess you would have to start tractor get it warm and then drain...only one cold start with 30w compared to many...I may have overposted because I have no real figures on how many folks use 10w and 20w HDEO in Winter in tractors...but I know of a few...

Quote:

This thread is having profound implications across the board . . . I mean PROFOUND!
smile.gif
banana.gif

What other board has an Admin who "mixes it up" like me?
throwroses.sml

Quote:

Schaeffers 7000 straight 30 (grp II+ & PAO) has some nice looking specs -

HTHS = 3.5
VI = 105
Pour pt(F) = -10
Evaporatoin = 5% (not sure if this is NOACK though).
TBN = 10

Could be an excellent seasonal oil here in Little Rock.

Some of Valvoline's SAE 30 specs are better:

VI = 113
Pour Point = -17F

Quote:

nono.gif
According to this chart SAE 30 provides better protection even at low temperatures between 20 -30 degrees Centigrade. That's contrary to all I've ever read.
crazy.gif

Note that it's cylinder wall temp.

It's the period before the anti wear adds kick in and help.

I have always liked using SAE30, especially when towing. I'm very glad I was able to cash in on the Delo400 SAE30 $1/gal sale a while back. My Jeeps run great on it. The UOA on my trail beaten YJ was pretty good.
I'll be posting a new UOA of my Mom's Kia Rio on Delo400 SAE30 soon.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This thread is having profound implications across the board . . . I mean PROFOUND!
smile.gif
banana.gif

throwroses.sml

----! You're crazy!

I wish I could be crazy like G-MAN; being normal and sane is very boring.
grin.gif

(said in the manner that the French vampire in the theater responded to the women in the audience when she said "Take me!" in Interview with the Vampire)

Wait yr turn!! It's an acquired skill to S-cap~ the mundane!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif
banana.gif

throwroses.sml

----! You're crazy!

I wish I could be crazy like G-MAN; being normal and sane is very boring.
grin.gif

(said in the manner that the French vampire in the theater responded to the women in the audience when she said "Take me!" in Interview with the Vampire)

Wait yr turn!! It's an acquired skill to S-cap~ the mundane!

And this from the guy who was running 0w10 in his mini van, which under the hood looked like the clearance table in the plumbing section at Home Depot.
wink.gif

laugh.gif

..but I escaped!! (some say from the asylum
grin.gif
) You've got to be someone who can't resist the temptation of "Whatever you do, don't push that button!" or "Don't cross the red line!!"
(for the moment -envision the classic Star Trek "in the round" Roman theatrical format)

For every boundary ..every frontier ..there are those who refused to be denied!!

laugh.gif

More data here: 1st slide of Page 6. Effect of viscosity on shear strain rate. The 30 wt oil is nearly Newtonian while the 20W-50, having polymers, is a psudoplastic Non-Newtonian fluid. In this chart, above some shear rate, the 30 wt. is more viscous than the 20W-50. Take this as an example, NOT a universal trend with all straight 30 wts and all 20W-50 oils.

Newtonian fluid means the viscosity is constant as shear strain rate varies.

http://www.mt.luth.se/~rola/tribology/handouts_ehl.pdf

These slides also discuss the equally important effect of pressure on viscosity.

Here's a good HTHS thread by MolaKule: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=525921&an=0&page=0

My opinion is that straight weight oils are viable only in engines that get lots of continuous hours... boats, aircraft, etc. Maybe long haul driving without lots of cold starts. This test only looks at bore wear. What about the rest of the engine? Truly adequate lubrication starts when the oil reaches it's operating temp, so cold (or even luke-warm) starts are going to have the potential of increased wear until the oil reaches operating temp (and viscosity). I agree with mechtech2;

"Right now, it seems to be a partial and isolated picture to me."

It's only one element in the performance elements we have to balance for the best overall performance from our lubriucants.

Quote:

Some of Valvoline's SAE 30 specs are better:
VI = 113
Pour Point = -17F

I'm having a hard time believing that Valvoline is not using at least some VII's -- with a VI that is up around 113. Schaeffers 7000 (mixed with PAO) only has a VI of 105.
smile.gif

This thread is certainly interesting. I could see a straight grade Group I outperforming a multi-grade Group I, but what about against a modern Group II?

I've seen evidence suggesting that Group II's can outperform Group I's substantially when it comes to wear. This is where Group II/III oils seem to excel -- which is probably why the UOA's with conventional (Grp II) show such good wear characteristics (if one goes by the UOA's). We see modern Group II's performing as well as synthetics (and perhaps better than some PAO based motor oils like Mobil 1).

In this test (Cummins M11 see page 17) Global Base Oil Product Trends.pdf the crosshead wear on the Group II based oil was less than half that of the Group I base oil.

In this test, the EHC (Group II from Exxonmobil) had substantially less wear than the Group I (see table 10 and 11 near bottom of page) …patentstorm …

Table 10
………………………………… … … … … Grp…. I … II
Avg. Cam + Lifter Wear, microns … 15.4 … 9 … 30 Max.
Cam + Lifter Wear, microns … ….. …74 … 20 … 64

Table 11
Avg. Cam Wear, microns…………… 83.6 … 18 … 130 max
Max. Cam Wear, microns ………….. 231 … 27 …. 380 max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back