10k VW Atlas 3.6 VR6 Mobil 1 Euro 0w40

0484D195-1AB4-4F07-BA1F-A7ED2F6CE3B4.jpeg
Iron & Aluminum are up as are viscosity base and calcium phos zinc. Maybe due to the fuel dilution being down. Prob go 7,500 from here due to oxidation. Similar driving conditions, predominantly short trips and lots of idling, with the 600 mi trip thrown in on the OCI. Vehicle was plagued w vacuum related MIL/CEL for a bad fuel tank that took dealer a bit to sort out. That was certainly prior to this OCI, perhaps related? Enjoy!

Last edited:
My favorite oil there. Thanks for the reminder on why I stick to 5k OCIs in all my vehicles.
As far as I know - no engines died from shorter-than-recommended OCIs, but plenty experienced failures from recommended or extended OCIs. Just in general, not referring to this exact engine or VAG alone.
Thanks for sharing!

My favorite oil there. Thanks for the reminder on why I stick to 5k OCIs in all my vehicles.
As far as I know - no engines died from shorter-than-recommended OCIs, but plenty experienced failures from recommended or extended OCIs. Just in general, not referring to this exact engine or VAG alone.
Thanks for sharing!
Sludge on Direct injected, think some Audi, could have some issues w initial burn off of virgin oils on short OCI (3k) compared to overall Noack & longer OCI’s.

Sludge on Direct injected, think some Audi, could have some issues w initial burn off of virgin oils on short OCI (3k) compared to overall Noack & longer OCI’s.
If I remember correctly, the issue was there mostly regardless of OCI length, but was slightly accelerated by shorter OCI, or extended OCI. More of an engineering brainfart, IMHO. Dual injection is the way to go.

If I remember correctly, the issue was there mostly regardless of OCI length, but was slightly accelerated by shorter OCI, or extended OCI. More of an engineering brainfart, IMHO. Dual injection is the way to go.
Yeah, it went both ways. Definitely a sweet spot. The argument for the long OCI’s being at fault was the initial burn off. Point was, there’s no real gain from short OCI’s.

Cartridges are coming clean now, even at 10k. Most are saying 5k but ill see what 7,500 does next.
The cartridges are absolutely massive compared to your typical canister filter so I'm comfortable leaving them in place for 10k miles. Clean oil is important for the VR6. They have been known for timing chain stretch since they measured 2.8l and had only 12 valves.

Are you cutting and stretching them to inspect what the folds are hiding, or just a quick visual check before it gets thrown away?
You can separate the pleats pretty well if that's as far as you want to go. I always cut mine open with a box cutter though. I'd be surprised if he was getting any shavings or crud with his OCI.

Are you cutting and stretching them to inspect what the folds are hiding, or just a quick visual check before it gets thrown away?
Separating the pleats, earlier ones that I cut flat had some obvious aluminum chunks. No visible wear metals on this OCI

OLM, maybe 50 mi past on this one.

hasn’t been my experience thus far. 8,400 on FF, 9,400 on last one and 10k on this one.
So your olm does vary. I always reset my trip b when i reset my olm during the oil change so I can see exactly how many miles I've traveled on the oil.

View attachment 98938Iron & Aluminum are up as are viscosity base and calcium phos zinc. Maybe due to the fuel dilution being down. Prob go 7,500 from here due to oxidation. Similar driving conditions, predominantly short trips and lots of idling, with the 600 mi trip thrown in on the OCI. Vehicle was plagued w vacuum related MIL/CEL for a bad fuel tank that took dealer a bit to sort out. That was certainly prior to this OCI, perhaps related? Enjoy!
7500 sounds like a good call.

Back