10k OCI with original filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my next oil change I'm thinking of putting Pennzoil Platinum synthetic along with Fram Xtended. Do you think 10k will be a safe? I've been reading a lot of posts saying it's best to change the filter at 5k which I think is [censored] if the Xtended guard says it lasts up to 10k.

The manual says change after 3k or 3 months which ever is first.
confused2.gif

The filter will easily handle the 10,000 miles and more, but the oil may not be up to the task. I would play it safe at 7,500 miles. PP is a good oil, but the 2.7 isn't as easy on oil as a Japanese 4 cylinder engine.

Originally Posted By: Mter00s
For my next oil change I'm thinking of putting Pennzoil Platinum synthetic along with Fram Xtended. Do you think 10k will be a safe? I've been reading a lot of posts saying it's best to change the filter at 5k which I think is [censored] if the Xtended guard says it lasts up to 10k.

It's now called the FRAM Ultra and it says it'll last til 15k. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

It's now called the FRAM Ultra and it says it'll last til 15k. Use with confidence.

It's possible he has a new old stock Xtended Guard which was 97% efficient @ 20 microns and rated for 10,000 miles, but they could have probably went more than 10k even with the slightly different media. The Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and 15,000 miles rated.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
10K with the Chrysler 2.7?

This was my first thought.

I use PP and the Fram XG or Ultra for 10k but those are highway miles over 3 months in the Honda 2.4L.

Mter00s,

I admit I'm about 50/50 on that subject. Now a days everything about a car is going extended including the oil. I figure as long as the oil filter can go the distance why not these days.

For myself I'm just getting out of that old feeling of doing OCI's every 3K and have been using my OLM to tell me when it's time. Once per year OCI's I admit I still feel uncomfortable to say "go for it" for you.

I would safely say that if you have a OLM monitor in your car then I would certainly begin to use it and use a good synthetic like to one you mentioned.

On my personal two cars I just use a good synthetic and the standard factory OEM filters and use the OLM to stay within factory specs for safety sake.

For you I'd stay with the 5k changes if your fine with that but it's just my preference to use the OLM.

Durango

I've been doing 10k on filters and oil for years with excellent results. Cheapo filters often have cheap nitrile rubber parts which don't live as long with hot oil. Good filters have silicone rubber parts which have a long service life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back