100k 4.3 Silverado Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad bought the 2016 Silverado in Florida. I called the salesman and got the invoice all straightened out and am flying down to Florida this Saturday and driving it back to Western New York.

Newer Silverado, 2013+ with 4.3

Once I am back, I already have all maintenance planned -- and all supplies purchased or on order.

Transmission
Will drop the pan, change the filter, add a drain plug and re-fill with new fluid. Most likely will drain and fill next spring.
Parts: ACDelco Transmission Filter 24236933, Valvoline MaxLife ATF

Engine
Change all (6) spark plugs, install new air filter, oil and filter change. Will probably hold off until next spring for a radiator drain and fill. Service in manual states 5yr/150k.
Parts: ACDelco 41-114 Professional Iridium plugs, Fram TGA8755A air filter, Valvoline SynPower 5W30 (with D1G2 labeling), Fram Ulta XG10575 (a yearly OCI will probably suit him well)

Brakes
Suck all brake fluid from the reservoir and fill with new, then bleed/flush each line. Will also visually inspect brakes. If they brake well on the trip back, I'll just pull them apart to lube them with silicone paste.

Interior
Install new cabin air filter and detail the ever-living snots out of this thing. It was a work truck so it is somewhat dirty, but I am super confident that with my Bissell Little Green machine and my mix of ajax/laundry detergent, I'll have the seats looking like new. Vinyl floor and plastics in truck will be easy.
Parts: Fram Fresh Breeze CF11809

Got some Winterforces for the steel wheels on the truck now to go through the winter. Will probably look for a set of 2001-2006 Tahoe Z71 wheels for the summer .

Then Dad can have his truck. Want it all clean and up-to-snuff before it goes into his DD routines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Out of curiosity.....How come you bought a Florida truck ?

2 years old, been in Florida it's whole life (not exposed to any NY salt) and it was a pretty good price. We cannot find this kind of vehicle for this price around here.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Add fuel filter, diff fluid (front and rear), and transfer case fluid.

Yeah probably should do those too, they look easy.

I do not think there is a serviceable fuel filter.

Originally Posted by redhat

2 years old, been in Florida it's whole life (not exposed to any NY salt) and it was a pretty good price. We cannot find this kind of vehicle for this price around here.

So you bought a Florida truck that hasn't seen salt but your going to drive it in the winter.
21.gif

Best of luck to you and your Dad .

I would like to draw your attention to two things . A 2016 GM vehicle will spec Dexos and Dexron VI . I purchased some Maxlife ATF that says for Dexron VI , but is not licensed as Dexron VI . Got nervous and Bought some licensed Dexron VI . I just do not know ?

I will use it in an older Chevy .

I used to drive a 2008 Silverado - WT . Changed the pads and shoes at a little over 100,000 miles . I had driven it since new . I was shocked . Rotors / drums looked almost new . Pads / shoes probably had almost 50% of the friction material left . Would have left it alone , but had already purchased supplies .

But , I am an old man & drive like one .

I live in the South Central USA and have no experience / advice for rust prevention .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Best of luck to you and your Dad .

I would like to draw your attention to two things . A 2016 GM vehicle will spec Dexos and Dexron VI . I purchased some Maxlife ATF that says for Dexron VI , but is not licensed as Dexron VI . Got nervous and Bought some licensed Dexron VI . I just do not know ?

I will use it in an older Chevy .

I used to drive a 2008 Silverado - WT . Changed the pads and shoes at a little over 100,000 miles . I had driven it since new . I was shocked . Rotors / drums looked almost new . Pads / shoes probably had almost 50% of the friction material left . Would have left it alone , but had already purchased supplies .

But , I am an old man & drive like one .

I live in the South Central USA and have no experience / advice for rust prevention .

Thank you for the warm wishes. I completely understand your Dex VI thoughts. I have used MaxLife in a 4T65E (spec'd Dex III when originally new and back-spec'd to Dex VI) without any issues and most recently have used it in the 6F50 of my Taurus. Looking at the spec approval from Valvoline, it looks like MaxLife is definitely tailored to low viscosity fluids. I am going to try it and will report back but I think it'll do well.

Also that is very good lifetime for brakes, I must say you are more than likely easier on your vehicles than I sir. Congrats to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by redhat

So you bought a Florida truck that hasn't seen salt but your going to drive it in the winter.
21.gif

Yes, it will be rustproofed religiously at Carwell. My alternative is buy a 2016 for 3-5k more around here (at least!) and have it exposed to salt prior to any potential rust proofing.

As to brakes on the company truck , cost wise , did not matter . Purchased the parts on the company credit card .

I do very little towing . Try to coast when I see a traffic sign or red light ahead . That kind of thing .

The truck lasted until about 160,000 miles , at which point it was totaled . With the brakes I installed .

that new of a GM truck will spec out Synthetic gear oil for at lest rear diff if not both and LS additive is fine for open diffs for sure. just use 75-90 in both diiff's and they will be fine. Transfer case may use Auto Trac 2 or dexron 6 check owners manual and we always use Dexron 6 for GM's 2006 and up for sure. There was a TSB about using it in older GM's also .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back