100% Synthetic Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand what synthetic oils are 100% additives and carrier oil's that are true 100% synthetic oils? brands? i am using delvac 1 5w-40 iam hoping that this is one of those 100% additives and carrier oil that is 100% synthetic

Sorry-as far as I know both Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 have carrier oils. I believe thats also true for Amsoil and assume its true for other PAO/Ester oils. Not sure about Redline and I seem to recall that Royal Purple's latest generation does not have mineral carrier oils. I could be wrong about some of this info.

al, are you saying that both mobile full synthetic and delvac 1's carrier oils are 100% synthetic? i know redlines are a total 100% synthetic additive and carrier oil..

I think that Delvac 1 and M-1 have non-synthetic carrier oils
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
al, are you saying that both mobile full synthetic and delvac 1's carrier oils are 100% synthetic? i know redlines are a total 100% synthetic additive and carrier oil..

From what I've read elsewhere, when Mobil 1 introduced the Tri-Syn formula, they no longer used a mineral-based additive carrier oil. In the previous formulas of Mobil 1, it was clearly stated on the bottles that the oil was fully synthetic "exclusive of carrier additive oil." The Tri-Syn and SuperSyn formulas don't have this disclaimer.

Before additive technology advanced to what is today, there were no additives that could be directly added to synthetic oils; additives had to be added to Group I oils and then added to the synthetic base oils. Even then, the carriers only comprised
Modern additives can be added directly to synthetic oils as additive companies have additive packages for either dino or synth, and most additives can be added to either or both without an intermediate carrier.

Al,

It is possible to incorporate the additive chemistry these days without using petroleum oil as a carrier. I know of at least one company that has been doing this for some time and Mobil may be doing it as well ....

TooSlick

thanks everyone, i just called mobil corp. and they told me that they DO NOT USE ANY PETROLEUM OIL IN THEIR SYNTHETIC OIL'S SUPERSYN AND DELVAC 1

Thanks guys. I hate to answer with wrong information. Thats the nice thing about this board-we can all be correctly recalibrated.
smile.gif

The "blenders" order their adds in a large container that uses a carrier or diluent oil.

Most offer a PAO or Petroleum diluent oil, guess which one is more expensive ?

IMHO, the small amount of petro carrier oil makes little difference in the quality of the final product .

For the technically pure it is an abomination !

like i said early mobil does not!!! use any petroleum oils in their synthetic oils...it use to say:" exclusive to carrier oil" long long time ago i have an old bottle of it here in front of me..so they changed that...this is a great site!!!

I've read this to re: M-1's "exclusive of carrier oils" statement. Why do oil companies use mineral oils for their 'carrier oils'??? Why can't they add the addatives directly to the synthetic base oil?? Do they use the same addatives across the board ie. conventional grades and synthetic? eg. does Drive Clean have the same addative package of M-1? Does it differ according to grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back