Penzoil Platinum 100% Synthetic ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
BS on the motorsports comment as pro racers + regular racers of ALL kinds usually use specific RACE only oils that have special add packs + prolly Ester + or PAO base oils budget permitting + NO additives for longevity but just low friction + the best protection for pro motorsports NOT seen in daily driving or a rare track day. the later should be using better oils as well!

I'm going to go with over 99%. If it's GTL I think it's classified by the powers that be as a genuine synthetic oil. I however look at group 5 esters based oils with grp 4 as the only real ones, but I will wait as someone will make the record straight.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
I recently saw posts from users that said Penzoil Platinum is a 100% synthetic oil. The implication is that it is 100% PAO or PAO/Ester blend, not a Group 3 Hydro-cracked petroleum oil.

Who told you this? ...or.... where did you read it?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
I recently saw posts from users that said Penzoil Platinum is a 100% synthetic oil. The implication is that it is 100% PAO or PAO/Ester blend, not a Group 3 Hydro-cracked petroleum oil.

Who told you this? ...or.... where did you read it?

You are not going to get an answer. That member got vamoosed off the site.

Thanks.
I'm curious about my Ultra Platinum, as it's billed as a step-up from Platinum. Think I'll get a VOA done that's more recent than what's in that board room currently. Maybe I'll stop at Napa tomorrow and order-up an Oil Analysis kit. The PAO content doesn't interest me as much as knowing the most recent Add-Pack, TBN & cst #s

Kia is looking at 6K OCIs (one year) and Hyundai's staying with 4K (every six months). We are both retired now and driving much less these days..

Last edited:
Thanks.
I'm curious about my Ultra Platinum, as it's billed as a step-up from Platinum. Think I'll get a VOA done that's more recent than what's in that board room currently. Maybe I'll stop at Napa tomorrow and order-up an Oil Analysis kit. The PAO content doesn't interest me as much as knowing the most recent Add-Pack, TBN & cst #s

Kia is looking at 6K OCIs (one year) and Hyundai's staying with 4K (every six months). We are both retired now and driving much less these days..

Hey, I have a few NAPA UOA kits if you want one. I'd be happy to ship it to ya on my dime. PM me if sounds like a plan triplese7en
smile.gif

Look at your flashing PM box Adam ........ thanks for the helping hand / belated XMas gift..

You're welcome
11.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
BS on the motorsports comment as pro racers + regular racers of ALL kinds usually use specific RACE only oils that have special add packs + prolly Ester + or PAO base oils budget permitting + NO additives for longevity but just low friction + the best protection for pro motorsports NOT seen in daily driving or a rare track day. the later should be using better oils as well!

How nice of you to call Gena a liar. You base your assertion on direct knowledge of how many professional teams?

M1 0w-40 is used in numerous 24hr races, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a comparable SOPUS product is used in similar applications.

Look at your flashing PM box Adam ........ thanks for the helping hand / belated XMas gift..

Hey Joe I mailed the UOA kit today. Check your PM box
10.gif
34.gif

Got it & got the tracking number too Adam..... thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Bought a kit from NAPA today - put it together and sent a Virgin sample of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 to ALS Tribology Lab in Atlanta.

Yours coming Saturday will get a 50-50 blend of virgin Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and Pennzoil Gold Semi-Syn 5w30s. Hopefully Monday I'll ship that one ALS

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

M1 0w-40 is used in numerous 24hr races.

That is correct, I remember Doug Hillary posting about M1 0W40 being used by numerous race teams in big 24 hour endurance events like the Nürburgring

Originally Posted by Scuder

How nice of you to call Gena a liar. You base your assertion on direct knowledge of how many professional teams?

Forget it! benjy never responds when you call him out on one of his many stupid rants.

Yeah, like the PP euro 0w40 I scored for $2/quart … although it will wind up in a mighty 1.4 T, … LoL

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by Scuder

Forget it! benjy never responds when you call him out on one of his many stupid rants.

Thanks. I'd think people would value official word from manufacturers on the forum. Treating them badly is a good way to lose that. Plus, it's just bad manners.

I could see m1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 being used. The engines are better built and I'm sure they replace internal parts whenever they have to. I imagine that the oil capacity sumps are quite large to help longevity and cooling. Might they add in a oil additive? Maybe...

Originally Posted by Marco620
I could see m1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 being used.......Might they add in a oil additive? Maybe...

I've never seen any professional oil blender recommend using extra oil additives, from the Doug Hillary link previously

Don't add anything at all to your oil - it can do more harm than good. Additive "clash" and overdosing is a very real issue

This is from a guy who helped develop oils used by some of the big race teams in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back