100 LL AVGAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

with winter coming around the corner. I been thinking about some ethanol free gas and put it in the equipment.

so far this is what i have..

a sthil ms250, two echo blowers, echo trimmer, honda pressure washer and two honda lawn mowers.

would putting 100ll AV GAS be okay for the small engines and 2 strokes? everywhere around me has gas with ethanol in it.. but i found a airstrip around me with 100ll for $4.99 an gallon. has anyone ran 100LL gas in their small engines?

thanks.

I ran AVGAS for several years in my OPE just because I liked the smell. The stuff is stable and will sit in a tank for years without degradation.

I stopped using the aviation gas mainly because it's leaded. This stuff left white deposits on everything the exhaust touched and the spark plugs would come out looking hideous after a season of use. I even had a piece of equipment seize a piston ring but I don't know if the leaded fuel caused this or just 8 years of use on a cheapy $100 2-stroke was the guilty party.

If you do use it I suggest you cut it 50/50 with ethanol free gasoline. AVgas is for airplanes that get a bit more maintenance (think piston ring and valve guide cleanings) than do automobiles and lawn mowers.

If you want to use it as a stabilizer then there's nothing better. After my experimentation with 100 LL I have fallen in love with Yamaha's Yamalube ring free plus. This stuff cleans fuel systems and combustion chambers and stabilizes fuel better than anything else I've used. It's way pricey ($55/quart) but that treats 320 gallons of fuel.

leaded fuel is excellent for two strokes.."low lead" av fuel certainly wont hurt...four strokes not designed for lead there may be issues

AVGAS works great in small engines. It has a long shelf life and doesn't need stabilizer. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted by sky06
hey guys,

with winter coming around the corner. I been thinking about some ethanol free gas and put it in the equipment.

so far this is what i have..

a sthil ms250, two echo blowers, echo trimmer, honda pressure washer and two honda lawn mowers.

would putting 100ll AV GAS be okay for the small engines and 2 strokes? everywhere around me has gas with ethanol in it.. but i found a airstrip around me with 100ll for $4.99 an gallon. has anyone ran 100LL gas in their small engines?

thanks.

None of these are near you ? https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

If your near a inland border there may be a closer station in OR, NV or AZ

Originally Posted by Rand
no it has way too much lead in it.

+1

Just use regular fuel with a dose of marine stabilizer in it. I've been running that with E10 87 from the local station in my equipment, and my small engine customers have been doing the same for years. Most small engine manufacturers recommend using 87 or 89 unleaded. No reason to use 100 octane leaded fuel which is likely more expensive anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FowVay

If you want to use it as a stabilizer then there's nothing better. After my experimentation with 100 LL I have fallen in love with Yamaha's Yamalube ring free plus. This stuff cleans fuel systems and combustion chambers and stabilizes fuel better than anything else I've used. It's way pricey ($55/quart) but that treats 320 gallons of fuel.

Could Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in with the 100LL gas be use just as well as Yamalube? Suppose to "Cleans the engine from the inside out".

the place around me sells it for $4.99 an gallon and is readily available

i brought a few gallons and im going to give it a try this winter.. i still have some 91 mixed with motul for the stuff.. after that runs out, im going to give 100 a try. .

I've used 100LL for years. Works well. It will dry out some seals, such as the cheap Chinese fuel shut off valves on harbor freight generators.

Otherwise, it never goes bad. Even 10 years in FL, it's still good

You really want to lead up your engine? 100LL leads up my Continental O-200 in my Cessna 150. I have no clue why on earth anyone would want to run that stuff in anything else. I mix TCP Alcor in my fuel to help scavenge and blow out all the lead.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I've used 100LL for years. Works well. It will dry out some seals, such as the cheap Chinese fuel shut off valves on harbor freight generators.

Otherwise, it never goes bad. Even 10 years in FL, it's still good

Agree. I love the stuff. I've noticed the white burn coloration but spark plugs and combustion chambers have always been clean. I personally don't believe lead has any harmful effects on an engine that doesn't need it.

You have used it after 10 years storage? How do you store it? Typical red plastic gas can?

Originally Posted by Blown347hatch

You have used it after 10 years storage? How do you store it? Typical red plastic gas can?

I stored some in my generator's gas tank, from 2006 to 2017. It never went bad. Same goes for the plastic 6.5 gal cans. Stored in the garage.

most you guys will not be old enough to know. In the days of leaded gas, one of the ways to see if an engine was burning oil or excess rich was look at the tail pipe. A brilliant white tail pipe was always a sign of low oil consumption and good compression. We cleaned plugs every 12K miles or less. I made special scrapers out if fishhooks to get the gunk out of the gap between the porcelain and shell. An engine that lasted to 200K miles was an exception.
even 100K was good. Stuck rings, stuck valves, were common. Lead had good points, but the modern engines outlast those old ones 2 to 3 times. The lead was also supposed to cause wear on carburetors, but in those days every thing wore.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back