10 yr Auto loans....yikes!

Can you post link of this dealer ?
I see it every where including credit unions
Screenshot_20230422-120737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't pay cash, you can't afford an expensive car.
I have paid cash for all my vehicles for 25 years or longer. Once you start driving a paid off vehicle many people will not go back to borrowing money. Making a vehicle payment then buying new tires and an unexpected repair or a $500 insurance deductible can put many people under water fast. Especially if you have a job loss during that 10 year loan time period. Imagine the interest paid on a 10 year loan.
In my opinion, if you can't pay cash, you can't afford an expensive car.

It's really a philosophy question. It depends on whether you want interest working for you (investing) or working against you (borrowing).

The best summation I know of is from Alberta: "Big hat. No cattle." Do you see yourself as a "big hat, no cattle" kind of guy? Or do you identify more with the guy driving the well used, older, but good running half ton and having a big herd?

80 year olds take out 30 year mortgages all the time.
Do you actually know anyone who has done this?

In Canada most (or maybe all) mortgages are life insured. When the borrower dies the mortgage is paid off. You'd have to be pretty dumb to provide a 30 year mortgage to an 80 year old, or be the insurer who is agreeing to pay off the mortgage when they die. If you know a lender who is actually writing a lot of these deals there may be a lot of money to be made by selling their shares short.

I think it's a great plan - for the borrower. When I get to be 90 I'll buy a multi-million dollar house with a life insured mortgage. When I croak (if I croak) my estate will get the house - tax free and fully paid. All I'd have to do is make the payments for a few years. And hope I don't live too long.

Reactions: JC1
The most expensive car I've evee bought was $20,000. Never owned a new car. I've done a couple of 72 month loans to keep the payments low, but always paid extra every month and usually paid off a couple years early. I transitioned to 60 month loans, then 48 month and so on. Now I pay cash. It's a learning experience.

Picture this. Around 1955. (Yes, I’m old). I used to hang out at a used car lot. Loans were 12 month. Yes, one year. Then they started 24 month car loans. Crazy. I remember thinking who would want to pay on a car loan for two years? Credit is CRAZY today.

I have not taken a car loan since my 1998 Dodge. Now, I pay cash. If I want a certain car, I save for it.

I’ve saved a lot of money in the last 25 years in interest not paid.

Plenty of folks with auto loans that aren't in dire straights or broke or financial morons. Some basic common financial sense is i.e. downpayment, not over extending, low rates, etc. are really all that is required. I own all 5 of my vehicles but would take a loan to buy something today if I needed something new/slightly used without worry...20% down...5 year loan max...pay it off....drive it....a reasonable receipt that has worked for me for many years or can work for many folks that don't have large sums of liquid cash or that want to drive something newer/more reliable. Rates are pretty high now but even then, at some point you need something to drive and paying cash for large purchases isn't always the best or most practical thing to do as much as folks want it to be. To me, I always had an out when I had vehicles that I had borrowed money on. Worse case, I sell it, pay off the loan, and buy something cheap to drive with the balance...not really a particularly risky situation but does require the bits in my second sentence. The more important financial issue, to me, isn't the loan part of this, it's the constant trading-in to a new car every few years with basically a life payment vs. paying off and owning/driving a car for the longer term without payments.

Last edited:
Maybe all these repoed vehicles will bring the used car prices down? Personally I wouldn’t mind that.
That would be the correction that could happen...just like the housing market crash in '08, folks walking out leaving keys on the counter, foreclosure, prices bottomed out.

Reactions: JC1
That would be the correction that could happen...just like the housing market crash in '08, folks walking out leaving keys on the counter, foreclosure, prices bottomed out.
I know a few people who did that and had no trouble buying another house any where from 2 to 3 years after that correction.

I know a few people who did that and had no trouble buying another house any where from 2 to 3 years after that correction.
Same - many houses in our neighborhood were like that...."hey...I didn't know the so and so's were moving today" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CKN
You get bored of cars, I get bored of spending money I don't have that is why I have a 21 year old Chevy and 22 year old Toyota still on the road and they will remain on the road for many more years to come, but I could see keeping modern junk that long being a problem for the wallet.

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford an expensive car.

In my opinion, if you can't pay cash, you can't afford an expensive car.

It's really a philosophy question. It depends on whether you want interest working for you (investing) or working against you (borrowing).

The best summation I know of is from Alberta: "Big hat. No cattle." Do you see yourself as a "big hat, no cattle" kind of guy? Or do you identify more with the guy driving the well used, older, but good running half ton and having a big herd?
In the past, the question has been why would you want to pay cash for the entire vehicle at 0% or 0.9%? Could I write a check for $60k right now? I sure could or I could put a new roof on my house with that $60k plus some other improvements or fund my retirement account and pay either $60K or at most $61,383 dollars back over time. I could write a check for $120K right now to cover the car and the other stuff too but that's a bit more of a bite and at 0% or 0.9% or even 1.9% why - because some guy on BITOG says if I don't write a check for the full amount I can't afford it?

Last edited:
Back