10 Fastest Police Cars in the World

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Those aren't my words, but I'm sure you'll agree that there are some fast cop cars here ...

This one just barely missed the mark. :D
1663976517685.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just going to post that, in 1970, a Dodge Charger Daytona set a course record at Talladega of over 200mph on Goodyear bias ply tires. Most racing cars of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s ran bias ply tires.

Alabama used AMC Javelin for it's fleet. Many rumors but officially top speed of 130 mph. I seen one in 80's that someone but a blower on. There were several drawback was they were light and with 401 4 barrel it was hard to hold. Being a 2 door hard to get in and they had to call for a 4 door to transport. Faster than anything at that time as far as police cars go.

This one just barely missed the mark. :DView attachment 118162

The Pa. State Police had a special elite pursuit unit for some years. If I recall correctly, it was called the Turnpike Pursuit Squadron. Or something similar. In the late 60's, early 70's, they had Plymouths with 440 TNT engines that were likely tweaked a bit more. Possibly some 413 or 426 max wedges earlier? I saw them in use a few times on the turnpike. Anecdotally, a guy related to me that he was eventually run down by one trooper in his 60's Corvette. It took more than 140 to get him. I remember the unit being disbanded, but not sure of the year. 80's?

I would guess that they had a final drive ratio of more like 2.92 or 3.08.

BMW used to give the South Carolina state Police an M5 every couple of years. Why? It's biggest and most profitable plant is in SC.

Several years ago I was approaching a traffic light on Walnut Grove Rd. near Humphreys Blvd. and noticed a black Charger SRT (the 6.2L 425 HP engine with upgrades) with Gov’t Service plates (unmarked, of course).

Pulled up beside him and it was Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

I wondered then (and still do) how he got away with spec’ing out a Charger SRT for himself on my dime.

How do the police do this? I would think there would be oversight and rules forbidding them to use taxpayer money to order themselves hot rods to tool around in.

I mean, did he really need the SRT? After all - the standard 5.7L Hemi V8 is no slouch at 345 HP.

Back