10 Fastest Police Cars in the World

Several years ago I was approaching a traffic light on Walnut Grove Rd. near Humphreys Blvd. and noticed a black Charger SRT (the 6.2L 425 HP engine with upgrades) with Gov’t Service plates (unmarked, of course).

Pulled up beside him and it was Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

I wondered then (and still do) how he got away with spec’ing out a Charger SRT for himself on my dime.

How do the police do this?
I would think there would be oversight and rules forbidding them to use taxpayer money to order themselves hot rods to tool around in.

I mean, did he really need the SRT? After all - the standard 5.7L Hemi V8 is no slouch at 345 HP.
Back in the 60s, my then girlfriend's uncle was the fire chief in a town on Long Island. He drove a baby blue Dodge convertible that had the special Fire Chief plates on it, a siren, and a flashing light setup mounted on the front of the car. It was his car and he was reimbursed some amount by the city for it being used for Chief duties. Perhaps that's how your Police Director did it?

The car, and Uncle Larry, were well-known in the area, including in nearby towns. There were a few times I drove the car with my GF and some of her friends as passengers, often with the top down. Until I became known to the various jurisdictions, I'd be pulled over and checked out by the various police departments. If there was a question, they'd usually call Larry. The first time that happened, Larry didn't know I was using the car as his wife, Joyce, had given it to me for the afternoon. There was quite a bit of excitement until everything got straightened out.

Back in the 60s, my then girlfriend's uncle was the fire chief in a town on Long Island. He drove a baby blue Dodge convertible that had the special Fire Chief plates on it, a siren, and a flashing light setup mounted on the front of the car. It was his car and he was reimbursed some amount by the city for it being used for Chief duties. Perhaps that's how your Police Director did it?

The car, and Uncle Larry, were well-known in the area, including in nearby towns. There were a few times I drove the car with my GF and some of her friends as passengers, often with the top down. Until I became known to the various jurisdictions, I'd be pulled over and checked out by the various police departments. If there was a question, they'd usually call Larry. The first time that happened, Larry didn't know I was using the car as his wife, Joyce, had given it to me for the afternoon. There was quite a bit of excitement until everything got straightened out.
It’s possible, but I doubt it.

Wonder what axle ratio they had. Iirc Mopar used 3.23 a lot. While not a very steep gear what rpm would a 440/727 be when running 147 mph with 3.23?
my first ride was a 73 new Yorker smogged down to 215 to 230 h.p 440 4bbl 727 trans with i think 273 or 276 rear end . At 80 it was just loafing along many times the needle hide behind the 120 was it accurate ? if it was the gap it had on 120 i figured it was maxed out at 130.
and man she was a hand full at top end bobbing and weaving like the town drunk.
actually lucky that car did't kill me.

I believe it was an 80's issue of either Motor Trend or Car and Driver...there was an ad that stated something like...'In Germany, there are no getaway cars...' and it was a picture of a 911 with police lights and decals.

I believe it was an 80's issue of either Motor Trend or Car and Driver...there was an ad that stated something like...'In Germany, there are no getaway cars...' and it was a picture of a 911 with police lights and decals.
here it is...beginning of this video...

Back