'10 Cadillac SRX recall---Possible Engine failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine can blow using regular fuel

Vehicle Make / Model: CADILLAC / SRX Model Year(s): 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V223000

Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 CADILLAC SRX EQUIPPED WITH A 2.8L V6 ENGINE. IF LOW OCTANE (REGULAR) FUEL IS USED IN THE VEHICLE INSTEAD OF THE REQUIRED HIGH OCTANE (PREMIUM) FUEL AS STATED IN THE OWNER MANUAL AND ON THE FUEL FILLER DOOR, THE COMBINATION OF REGULAR FUEL USAGE AND AGGRESSIVE DRIVING MANEUVERS MAY INDUCE PRE-IGNITION. IF PRE-IGNITION OCCURS, YOU MAY HEAR A PINGING OR KNOCKING SOUND FROM THE ENGINE.

Consequence:
IF THE VEHICLE CONTINUES TO BE DRIVEN AFTER THE ONSET OF THIS NOISE, A CONNECTING ROD OR PISTON MAY BREAK, RESULTING IN ENGINE DAMAGE, AND PERHAPS ENGINE FAILURE, WHICH WOULD DISABLE THE VEHICLE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JUNE 11, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE CADILLAC CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-866-982-2339 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT www.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO [url=HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.][url=HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.]HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.[/url][/url] )

Many people who lease will use regular fuel causing big problems.

Wonder why the computer can't adjust timing appropriately like it does on just about every other vehicle on the road that requires premium, including other GM and even Cadillac models.

Does GM not use knock sensors, or half decent ones?
One of the only differences between the Suzuki version and my Tracker is the absence of a knock sensor... Seems silly to even bother to remove it and setup a new ECM, but they did!

Sounds like a motor configuration that was rushed to market before being properly field-tested.

My WAG is that someone, somewhere, not only used regular grade fuel, it was also low quality, out of spec, regular grade fuel and they kaboomed an engine.

The ECU reprogram will probably expand the fuel envelope.

The little 4.2 V8 in my wife's Jag will cackle like it's full of castanets if fed even high quality 87 AKI. When Jag says use premium fuel only, they mean use Premium fuel only. It's full of knock sensors.

I don't believe gas is gas. I sell the cheap stuff at a c - store I have leased out, but I won't use that junk in my lawnmower, much less a car.

Or, Caddy engines could be junk!

Thanks to all of you vets this Memorial Day.

Ugh. I'm slowly turning into a Ford man. I've had many GM vehicles with little problems but with them not being financial responcable and [censored] quality up til recently they're just not what they used to be.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
So they are going to retard the total timing which will decrease MPG and power. Lame repair attempt if you ask me.

I dont see anything that says they change the total timing.
They probably just modify the timing parameters for the conditions that are most likely to cause pre-ignition running fuel that is below the recommended octane.

A knock sensor may not be the best solution as for it to be effective a knock must be present before the sensor can react to it.

I doubt if any reduction in power will be noticed if the correct fuel is used.Its easier to recall the car than the customer who decided to get frugal and damaged their engine.

Why not tell people to use the high octane fuel that apparently is in the manual and on the fuel door? Don't see this as their fault as much as lazy owners.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Why not tell people to use the high octane fuel that apparently is in the manual and on the fuel door? Don't see this as their fault as much as lazy owners.

ref

Because it's my right as a good American to do whatever the heck I want, ignoring all warnings and instructions, that's why.
33.gif

Seriously, I think someone posted a link a month or two ago and this was discovered when an auto journalist grenaded an engine in a quirky situation. He filled up with regular was going up a mountain when the knocking started and a combination of faulty logic and the grade kept retarding the timing until the engine blew.

Bottom line, I kind of agree with the original sentiment. My Cobalt is supposed to use premium gas and even though it will adjust for regular, I look at the extra 20-cents/gallon or so over regular to be the price of admission to a performance vehicle. If someone can drop the bucks on a Caddy, they should also be able to afford the gas.

My 2-cents anyway.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Hasn't there already been a thread about this, like a month ago for this same issue? Or was that a different car?
yes, but it's about GM so....nevemind.
28.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Win
My WAG is that someone, somewhere, not only used regular grade fuel, it was also low quality, out of spec, regular grade fuel and they kaboomed an engine.

The ECU reprogram will probably expand the fuel envelope.

It was an automotive journalist.

Here's the article I remember reading:

Jalopnik Article

Originally Posted By: willix
This car should have already been able to operate in peramiters for all fuel grades. Its a V6 for cripes sake.

Tell that to MB, BMW, Jag, some Lexus, Acura, Infiniti...

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Hasn't there already been a thread about this, like a month ago for this same issue? Or was that a different car?
yes, but it's about GM so....nevemind.
28.gif
27.gif

The recall article came out 4 hours ago.
34.gif

GM Recalls 2010 Cadillac SRX Crossovers Citing Engine Failure Risk ‎ - 4 hours ago

General Motors Co is recalling certain 2010 Cadillac SRX crossovers that are equipped ... the recall concerns a fault that may result in an engine failure. ...

http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/gm-recalls-2010-cadillac-srx-crossovers-citing-engine-failure-risk/

Originally Posted By: opus1
Not a dig at you, Colt, just a general observation.
56.gif

Thanks,opus.
cheers3.gif

The ever-increasing stupidity of the average driver is once again dictating an unnecessary re-design. Sad. Back in the day, an engine that needed premium fuel couldn't even try to compensate, so warnings to use premium fuel HAD to be taken seriously (or you had to know enough to baby the engine until you could get a tank of premium back in it). Today, the average idiot thinks you can treat a car any way you want, and if it fails it must be the manufacturers fault. As human technology gets more advanced, the layman's understanding of technology should GROW, not retard as it seems to be doing.

We're so screwed as a society.... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back