10,000 mile ATF drain interval - use synth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

I have been draining the trans fluid in my Chevy Suburban and Mercury Villager every 10,000 miles and replacing with Mobil ATF (non-syn). I like changing the fluid at this interval because ATF is cheap and trannies are not. The fluid is in pretty good shape after 10,000 miles and has only darkened very slightly. In 500,000 miles of driving in the last 12 years, I have never had a single tranny problem.

I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in using synthetic ATF at this interval? Would synthetic ATF offer better protection even at a longer change interval?

Thanks,

Wayne

Why mess with a good thing.......just keep doing what you are doing.
grin.gif

Stick with what you are doing! I t woud not make sense to use a synthetic with that short of an oil change interval. I would consider Auto-Rx though. With 500,000 even with frequent fluid changes your seals have to have harden some and their is still some build up in the transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by wwillson:
All,

I have been draining the trans fluid in my Chevy Suburban and Mercury Villager every 10,000 miles and replacing with Mobil ATF (non-syn). I like changing the fluid at this interval because ATF is cheap and trannies are not. The fluid is in pretty good shape after 10,000 miles and has only darkened very slightly. In 500,000 miles of driving in the last 12 years, I have never had a single tranny problem.

I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in using synthetic ATF at this interval? Would synthetic ATF offer better protection even at a longer change interval?

Thanks,

Wayne

If you're just dropping the pan and only emptying it you're getting maybe 30-50% of the old fluid. So doing this every 10,000 miles with non synthetic ATF is fine. If you went for a total fluid exchange then even going 30,000 miles with regular ATF should be fine as long as you don't do any really heavy duty towing or activities which really heat up the tranny.

Whimsey

If you are going to use an ATF additive there is only one: Lubeguard. (www.lubeguard.com)

It also contains esters and will help extend your tranny's life. Its recommended as OEM fill additive by several manufacturers and by virtually almost every reputatble rebuilder.

I would flush the transmission totally, install a synthetic, and then just do the drain and refill yearly. I've done this for over 20 years with so many cars/trucks (I can't count), and never had a failed transmission. Note that the new GM Dextron III standard has stiffened.

If you found something that works, stick with it.
ATF is cheap. I'm guessing that you are not an abusive driver or towing anything. Your location isn't in a 12month heatwave zone. The cheap ATF should be fine. Use synth if you tow, speed, drive like nuts, smoke the tires........

This is definitely a situation where frequent cheap maintenance is proven. Don't bother paying more for flushes if you are doing the maintenance yourself. Since the ATF is cheap, you could even step up to 7.5k or 5k intervals especially if you have drainplugs.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
If you found something that works, stick with it.
ATF is cheap. I'm guessing that you are not an abusive driver or towing anything. Your location isn't in a 12month heatwave zone. The cheap ATF should be fine. Use synth if you tow, speed, drive like nuts, smoke the tires........

This is definitely a situation where frequent cheap maintenance is proven. Don't bother paying more for flushes if you are doing the maintenance yourself. Since the ATF is cheap, you could even step up to 7.5k or 5k intervals especially if you have drainplugs.

I'll promise you that neither my 'Burb or Villager will or have ever smoked the tires! :) I think I'll just stick with the 10K mineral ATF changes...

wwilson,
You do the same thing that I do except I change mine about every 6,000 miles with Mobil conventional ATF. Like you said, ATF is cheap and since I have a drain plug in my tranny pan, drain and refills are very easy. Hopefully this will result in extended tranny life.

Wayne

I also change the ATF annually. I just buy a case of Dexron III from Sam's and do several drain/refills. The last time I used Pennzoil ATF and it is performing very well.

quote:

Originally posted by Stooge:
Note that the new GM Dexron III standard has stiffened.

Very few brands have the new DEXRON-III(H) ATF on the shelves yet. Most is still the III(G) until the old stock is sold and the new stuff gets through the distribution chain. GM is using the -III(H) as factory fill, and claims it is good for 100,000 miles in normal service, 50,000 miles in severe service, and soon will be rated for 100,000 in sever service when they get more data in.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back