1/2 drive deep sockets

I can tell you my limited suspension work went very easy with a $25 set of Stanley impact sockets and a cordless 1/2" impact wrench. Places where it was impossible to get a breaker bar and cheater to loosen tight nuts came off no problem.

If it was me and on a certain budget, I'd spend the money on a good impact wrench first and get budget sockets or shop around for some higher quality used ones.
This is the common sentiment on that other tool-oriented site. For low hour home users, cheap impacts are good enough, even for big jobs. Once you are hammering on them daily, time to move up.

I have a real mish-mash of brands for 1/2", but for 3/8" the costs are not so steep, so I have complete Master SAE and Metric sets of Sunex, which are made of the proper Cr-Mo steel for the job. Supposedly they are the OEM for some of the biggest truck brands. So, that is my recommendation.

This thread has made me think. I finally picked up an Aircat 1150 on an Amazon price dip. Do I really want to put a cheap Cr-V socket on that beast when I need it the most? Time to start pricing the Sunex Master 1/2" sets...

I can tell you my limited suspension work went very easy with a $25 set of Stanley impact sockets and a cordless 1/2" impact wrench. Places where it was impossible to get a breaker bar and cheater to loosen tight nuts came off no problem.

If it was me and on a certain budget, I'd spend the money on a good impact wrench first and get budget sockets or shop around for some higher quality used ones.

Stanley is a strange company, in Germany they are still well regarded with much of their line being made in the USA. I have a set of Stanley impact sockets and a micro head ratchet some years ago that are US made, they are Proto branded in the US and very good quality and not cheap.
It seems they are maintaining a well known name with quality tools instead of introducing a lesser known (there anyway) brand like Proto.

Proto makes excellent tools. As you say, they’re not cheap.

I’ve got a couple sets of Sunex impact sockets. Bought when budget was a concern. They’ve performed very well.

Sunex impacts are a great value, yes they hold up well. Genius is another Taiwan brand that has some decent impact stuff.
I bought some SAE impacts from Genius as I don't use them often, they have held up okay for a $50 set.

I agree on the Sunex impacts as well. Most of my impacts are Pittsburgh Pro they have done fine for me. I’ve got a Snap-on impact socket that I found. I also have a lot of Grey Pneumatic impacts which seem to be doing very well.

I agree on the Sunex impacts as well. Most of my impacts are Pittsburgh Pro they have done fine for me. I’ve got a Snap-on impact socket that I found. I also have a lot of Grey Pneumatic impacts which seem to be doing very well.
Tekton makes decent impact sockets as well.

This is the common sentiment on that other tool-oriented site. For low hour home users, cheap impacts are good enough, even for big jobs. Once you are hammering on them daily, time to move up.

I have a real mish-mash of brands for 1/2", but for 3/8" the costs are not so steep, so I have complete Master SAE and Metric sets of Sunex, which are made of the proper Cr-Mo steel for the job. Supposedly they are the OEM for some of the biggest truck brands. So, that is my recommendation.

This thread has made me think. I finally picked up an Aircat 1150 on an Amazon price dip. Do I really want to put a cheap Cr-V socket on that beast when I need it the most? Time to start pricing the Sunex Master 1/2" sets...

While some of northern tool's tools are not that great, their cro-mo 1/2 impact sockets are good. I have the deep and shallow and I like them.
The smaller size deep sockets are not as fat as the cheaper ones and fit well in tight spots. This tells me they are made of decent metal. I use them on my air cat 1150, and I have not broken or cracked one yet.

Back