1/2" Cordless Impact for home wrenching... Ryobi? Thanks in advance.

Makita has a ton of different models that all seem pretty similar, and the naming convention doesn't seem to have a pattern. Trav you previously recommended the XWT11Z which I've had sitting on my Amazon list for a while. Now it looks like there's a 14Z and 15Z that are very similar, along with the 18Z mentioned here. Are these newer/replacements for the 11Z? They seem to be about the same size.
The 17z and 18z are newer mid torque models ( 17 detent/ 18 friction ring).

14z and 15z are the compact 4 speed models with 15 detent vs the 14friction ring.

the 11z is a 3speed compact model

Makita has a ton of different models that all seem pretty similar, and the naming convention doesn't seem to have a pattern. Trav you previously recommended the XWT11Z which I've had sitting on my Amazon list for a while. Now it looks like there's a 14Z and 15Z that are very similar, along with the 18Z mentioned here. Are these newer/replacements for the 11Z? They seem to be about the same size.
Yes as the previous poster said the 11Z IIRC was the first of the mid size and a good gun, I still use mine all the time and like it just as much as when I bought it. The 14 and 15Z have a little more power and an extra speed The 18Z is mid way between the 08Z and the 15Z and more than enough for almost anything on a car or pickup you may come across with the exception of some crank or big rusted suspension bolts but those would probably stop the 08 also.
I use the pin type not the hog ring, it is much nicer to work with.

I have a ton of Ryobi stuff and for the price its hard to beat. Last month I bought a two piece Ryobi set of the the 1/2" and 3/8" impact for 99.99. I think for the price its a good deal. Now, a Milwaukee would out perform it any day but Im not willing to pay double and start a new battery platform since I have about 25 other Ryobi tools. Plus, Im a home gamer, not a professional.

I picked up a cheap set of the Ryobi one+ for homeowner work a few years back. Been fine so far.

I went cheaper on the impact though - Harbor Freight $30 +/- corded one. Also been fine for a couple years. The new lower price on the Ryobi had me tempted, but I'm not sure how much time a cordless would save me on tire swapping.
2-4 times / year on various vehicles. I can deal with the extension cord. Either way, torqueing with a hand wrench and lifting/lowering the vehicle takes up way more time than laying out one extension cord.

I picked up a cheap set of the Ryobi one+ for homeowner work a few years back. Been fine so far.

I went cheaper on the impact though - Harbor Freight $30 +/- corded one. Also been fine for a couple years. The new lower price on the Ryobi had me tempted, but I'm not sure how much time a cordless would save me on tire swapping.
2-4 times / year on various vehicles. I can deal with the extension cord. Either way, torqueing with a hand wrench and lifting/lowering the vehicle takes up way more time than laying out one extension cord.
The cordless will save you lots of time...approx 3 min each tire swap (the time it takes to get out the ext cord and put it away). However the cordless also allows you to take it with you on a trip, where you might need it along the road.

I like my 3/8 M12 stubby a ton, wanted something I'd have never wished I'd need an upgrade in the future or wanted a 'buy once-cry once' sorta deal.
Not a pro but do work on family and some friends' cars. M12 seemed to be the line that offered me flexibility, power and reasonable pricing for tool sets I mean to use for rest of my life and then to pass them on to my grandson.
Their 2Ah batts work great in heated hoodie when I go late fall and winter salmon and steelhead fishing too.

Yes as the previous poster said the 11Z IIRC was the first of the mid size and a good gun, I still use mine all the time and like it just as much as when I bought it. The 14 and 15Z have a little more power and an extra speed The 18Z is mid way between the 08Z and the 15Z and more than enough for almost anything on a car or pickup you may come across with the exception of some crank or big rusted suspension bolts but those would probably stop the 08 also.
I use the pin type not the hog ring, it is much nicer to work with.

For whatever reason the friction ring on the mid torque model doesn’t have a bushing or oring under the clip and it doesn’t keep sockets on very well. I’d go with the detent version personally (I sent the 17z back and got the 18z.

As you stated, the mid torque will do just about everything a pro needs, let alone a homeowner. The big oversized crank and pulley sockets help with those tough bolts.

Last edited:
I can't believe how long the LXT batteries on my Makita's hold charge for. I mean, a few months can go by and they seem to still be charged. So tossing one into a trunk does seem possible. I forget what model I have for my 1/2" impact but it zips off lugs that were snugged down to 90 ft-lb and the the 150 ones come off nearly as quick.

Gave in and bought their 36V circular saw. Almost quiet enough to forgo hearing protection. Suddenly for luddite I now have 3 or 4 of the 2Ahr batteries, 4 of the 5Ahr batteries, and 3 or 4 chargers. I really need to stop buying these things when they are on sale...

@JeffKeryk I bought the 1/2" Ryobi Impact that you mentioned way back in your original post. I already had a couple of Ryobi tools, and I wanted to stick with the same battery type. The tool does great for ripping off lugnuts and general tasks around the garage. That said, if I was starting from scratch with batteries, I would have gone with a different brand, probably Makita.

Regardless, the Ryobi does its job for my DIY projects, and I don't think they're nearly as bad as many people makes them out to be. Best of luck with your search.

Thanks for all the good advice. The "Ryobi shaming" was a joke, but you guys did get me thinking.
I hate cheap tools (not saying Ryobi is junk) and hate buying something and then being disappointed.

JHZR2's advice was spot on; there is no rust in Silicon Valley. What got me going was helping a young friend on her 2015 F-150's brake job.
My DeWalt was way overmatched on the 150# lug nuts. And it is bulky and heavy.

Jeff,

I had a whole line of the blue Ryobi at home with NiCad batteries! They served me well for years, but when the batteries went, it was time for an upgrade.

I went full bore into Ridgid simply for the lifetime battery agreements. Register the tools and batteries, lifetime warranty. Cant ask for much more than that! I now own the sawzall, drill, hammer drill, oscillating tool, 1.4 impact driver, and 1.2" mid tq impact. The mid TQ is 1/2" drive, rated at like 425 ft./lb, and has done very well for me. But there came a time when it struggled, and I was just waiting for a reason to upgrade! (Ridgid now has a 1/2" drive high TQ impact available!!)

I purchased the Milwaukee high TQ model, 1400 ft/lb of nut busting tq, $299 on sale with a single 5ah Li battery and charger and case. I brought this to work at the dealership, and ise it daily. It does an excellent job, go days between battery changes, and is very stout!! Highly recommended

One other thought though......Ive got a co-worker with an Earthquake from Harbor freight, and that thing isnt far behind my Milwaukee!! So if you just tinker a little, no hardcore mechanical work, dont be afraid of Earthquake or Bauer for that matter. Ive used them as well, very good equipment!

@Trav for the win!
Not sure if the 2 batteries I have fit.
BL1815. Spec calls for BL1815N.
PXL_20210112_212815867.jpg
PXL_20210112_212617744.jpg

I've been using Ryobi 10V ONE+ cordless tools for years with no issues. A lot of people don't realize that Ryobi and Milwaukee are made by the same manufacturer TTI and they're both made in China.

Now some will swear that Milwaukee is vastly better than Ryobi while never having even used a Ryobi cordless tool. Someone told them that Milwaukee was the best and that became their opinion. I see this all the time, Snap On, Fluke, Milwaukee, Klein, etc.

I have had Ryobi corldess tools and I have yet to have any of the batteries go bad(as long as they're Ryobi batteries and NOT aftermarket). I am speaking of Lithium Ion batteries and not the Ni-Cd Heck some of my Ryobi batteries are at least 10 years old

Unless the OP is using it to make their living, the Ryobi will do just fine.

The Makita is pretty dang strong. I used to to remove the lugs from the GS today. No probelmo....
Reinstalling them is tricky; you can't just run 'em down cuz you will exceed the 80 pound feet.
Don't ask me how I know.

It's a really good tool.

I bought this exact deal and mine was throwing sparks and working only every other trigger pull. Returned it and got the dewalt deal. 1/2 impact (899 model) with a 4ah battery for 200. It rocks.
Older thread l know, but that's what l mean. l have the older mid torque DCF 894 and l'ts not bad at all. l'm looking for a close out price on the DCF899. l know the DCF900 has more power, but l thought lf l could find an 899 cheap enough, between the 894 and 899 l would be good to go.

To the OP, at the time, I actually tried to do this deal several times. But they were either back ordered or out of stock.
I had even gone to a real Home Depot that had this impact in stock and I showed them the ad. They wouldn't give it to me for that price. Now I had been using Milwaukee Fuel tools for about 10 years (since they came out with the Fuel line) and they are a decent tool, but in the end I went with the Harbor Freight Hercules.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...rcules-vs-milwaukee-long.364065/#post-6449227

I've been very happy with it. I probably wouldn't have gone with HF when the nearest store was an hour away, but now there's one 30 minutes away, so that helped seal the deal. Tool warranty is an exchange instead of a mail-in. Also, about a two weeks ago, I did the compact impact driver/small battery/charger special for $97. A coworker has a similar DeWalt (although his is a couple of years old) and the HF runs circles around his DeWalt.
My nearest HD is a good hour away.
Glad you are happy with yours.

Back