1/2" Cordless Impact for home wrenching... Ryobi? Thanks in advance.

I had that Ryobi as my 1st impact. Works for most stuff, but not enough power if you live in the rust belt like I do.

If it's because you have the batteries, wait for the gen 2 brushless Ryobi just announced. Supposed to be a prosumer tool.

I ended up swapping over to a Milwaukee Mid Torque.

You guys Ryobi-shamed me... I will never ask a tool question again.
I will get something and post what and why I picked it.

TBT, I don't do much wrenching anymore. But, "he who dies with the most tools wins!"

Not doing a lot of wrenching, and living in an ideal climate relative to corrosion, is exactly why a lower end tool like this might work for you. IIRC, Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee are all made by the same Chinese manufacturer anymore. DeWalt and Makita have some first world stuff, and it’s likely better in many ways, so I’d shop that first, especially since you’ll be able to get other tools that are more useful in the day to day (drills, impact guns, etc) that are markedly better.

Thanks for all the good advice. The "Ryobi shaming" was a joke, but you guys did get me thinking.
I hate cheap tools (not saying Ryobi is junk) and hate buying something and then being disappointed.

JHZR2's advice was spot on; there is no rust in Silicon Valley. What got me going was helping a young friend on her 2015 F-150's brake job.
My DeWalt was way overmatched on the 150# lug nuts. And it is bulky and heavy.

I have the Kobalt impact wrench and driver. The wrench will spin a Honda Odyssey lug (93 ft lbs) and my pentair pool filter bolt/nut. The latter isn’t taxing but a huge time saver when cleaning the filter.

Anything powerful enough with an established platform will be more than satisfactory for home use. Everybody loves to talk and advise like carpenters and mechanics. If anything should be in consideration it should be battery cost (assuming you'll buy other tools on the platform at some point).

This high power DeWalt XR will run circle around your old 18v one. It has much more torque than my IR 231 pnuematic gun, but less than my IR 2135TiMAX which is rated for 1350 ft/lbs. I would guess the 700 ft.-lb. rating is pretty accurate. With the Lisle weighted socket, I can remove any Honda crank bolt in 15 seconds or less with the XR gun.

DeWalt Max XR

Unfortunately, Blaine's won't ship to Cali, but you might find it for <$300 elswhere. It was on sale at Lowe's before Christmas.

Trav, please suggest a model. Between $200 and $300 if possible.
As long as it spins off F-150 lugs (150 pound feet) I'm good.

Thanks.
This is the new mid size from Makita, I am adding this one to my set also. Only 6-11/18" long it is smaller than their big cordless which is almost useless at almost a foot long. This will do almost any job you throw at it without breaking your arm.
This is as close to your budget as I can find for a really good tool.

I have bought batteries from this company, its okay.

Charger..

Trav, please suggest a model. Between $200 and $300 if possible.
As long as it spins off F-150 lugs (150 pound feet) I'm good.

Thanks.
Oh that changes the recommendations. If you are willing to spend that amount and are not already locked into a battery system. I though you were staying in the $100-$150 range from your original post.

I'm not trav but in this price range i'd get the makita xwt08z. for $88 bucks more at $388, it is probably the most powerful cordless impact.

It is 8lb and over 9" long and with a deep socket on it is over a foot. I looked at it and its way overkill for 99% of automotive jobs, it is better suited to industrial work. If I were to go with another model it would be the XWT15Z which is still powerful enough to do most automotive work.

It is 8lb and over 9" long and with a deep socket on it is over a foot. I looked at it and its way overkill for 99% of automotive jobs, it is better suited to industrial work. If I were to go with another model it would be the XWT15Z which is still powerful enough to do most automotive work.

I will concede to your judgement! You are the expert!

No expert just an old wrench turner that uses these things a lot. Honestly the XWT15Z would be well good enough but the price difference between it and the new models isn't much and they are not much larger.
The 08Z is for sure a good gun but its weight and size reduce its usability.

It's not brushless so it's normal for it to throw sparks but it should have worked every time.
So I actually did do research and found that to be true before I returned but I tried doing a tire rotation just to proof it out and it would intermittently not function when I pulled the trigger. I still want to love ryobi because they get great reviews and I can’t stand overpaying but this particular tool I need for work and it has to work when I need it in the field.

Makita has a ton of different models that all seem pretty similar, and the naming convention doesn't seem to have a pattern. Trav you previously recommended the XWT11Z which I've had sitting on my Amazon list for a while. Now it looks like there's a 14Z and 15Z that are very similar, along with the 18Z mentioned here. Are these newer/replacements for the 11Z? They seem to be about the same size.

Back