1,000,000 mile Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came across in my YouTube subscription list a day or two ago.

I think this is probably the newest 1,000,000 mile vehicle I've seen. I didn't come away from the video without questions, though.

The odometer reads 9999999. Does it just stop counting at that number? I would expect it to "roll over" as analog odometers used to do. The Toyota spokesman also mentioned the engine having had two timing chains replaced. If I'm not mistaken, this is Toyota's 2UZ-FE engine, which uses timing belts. The UR-series engine (4.6, 5.0, and 5.7L displacements) uses timing chains, but the 4.7L in this truck uses timing belts. I guess it shows how durable a timing belt system is if this truck has had only two belt replacements. It would also show the Toyota guy's ignorance on the engine design.

Interesting nonetheless.

1 million miles pretending to be a F150
grin.gif

770000 out of a Toyota transmission seems reasonable.

Really surprised that he didn't use a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for hotshotting, and I didn't know that was still going on.

Also didn't know that the 4.7 used a timing belt.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I guess it shows how durable a timing belt system is if this truck has had only two belt replacements.

I'd say 4 timing belt replacements would show the durability of the system. 2 replacements shows his luck.

Wowzer.

2 timing chains (obvious error) but he claimed one water pump. That seems beyond the pale, and if true, a sign of a cheap owner--I'd have done at each timing belt. Still, impressive!

Did you notice the spare? It was an alloy, not cheapo stamped steel.

4.7L would have been the 5spd auto, which lacks a second OD. But if it was towing/loaded, and esp with that smaller V8, it'd help with not hunting. Lots of scratches in that bed, from usage; but no rust? Must be way down south--I would have expected more wear.

9 years, 1M miles. If the guy worked 50wk/year, 5day/week, I come up with 444miles/day. Between towing and hauling he might have been filling up twice/day on a regular basis. Good thing it worked in the oil fields, a Tundra is a thirsty beast.

the most important question SHOULD be: what oil, filter, and OCI did he use?

FWIW, there is a Harley Rider that put 1,000,000 miles on his hawg - although it needed numerous rebuilds and looked really beat.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I guess it shows how durable a timing belt system is if this truck has had only two belt replacements.

I'd say 4 timing belt replacements would show the durability of the system. 2 replacements shows his luck.

If they aren't interference, he could have just drove it until it snapped the belt or ate a pulley.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
grin.gif

I'll bet the Toyota plugs can be removed without snapping.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: glock19

If they aren't interference, he could have just drove it until it snapped the belt or ate a pulley.

Toyota, from my understanding, used belts for non-interference, and chain for interference.

In this application the belt wouldn't have aged out, so maybe that's what they did. Or maybe they waited until "opportune" times. Like when reverse went out--perfect time to do a belt, since it was in the shop for that.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
grin.gif

LMAO
lol.gif

1 Million Miles / 15 mpg = 67000 gallons of fuel (there were a few years if not more of $4 gallon) so lets go with $3/gallon average. Thats $200,000 in fuel.

From the article it says that the owner drove the truck long haul trips from his home to his job..so that would be a commuter vehicle.

IF he would have bought a 2007 Prius instead... 50mpg - 20000 gallons of fuel..thats $60000 in fuel.

He would have $140000 in his pocket in fuel alone.

---------------
Ok this is the mystery- commuter vehicle back and forth to his job. 1 million miles/ 9yrs. 111000 miles a year. A job worth driving that far for has to be a dang decent job..so lets say he works 5 days a week. So that puts the pickup truck on the road 2 days a week. That would be 104 days on the road. Thats 1000 miles a day...so that cant be right. So lets say he works his shift then goes home every day after work. 250 work days a year- thats 444 miles every day after work. at 60 miles per hour he would be on the road 7.5 hours every day after work... wait that dont make sense either.. he would have to split it up...so yeah he would have to drive 4 hours every day after work, then drive 4 hours to work.

There is no mention of tires and oil changes etc..so you gotta guess that there was alot of time spent doing tires and oil changes in between his breaks of not working and not driving...

grin.gif

When I was working at a Ford dealership we did have a 5 year old V10 Super Duty come in with almost 800k on it. It had no rebuilds yet and towed a trailer everywhere. Owner was on the rodeo circuit. But things like belts, hoses, fluids, etc were changed conservatively and religiously.

I know someone that put a million miles on a Ford Ranger. He picked up undevolped rolls of film and delivered prints to stores. Original engine, the five speed manual was replaced though.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Good point.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
1 Million Miles / 15 mpg = 67000 gallons of fuel (there were a few years if not more of $4 gallon) so lets go with $3/gallon average. Thats $200,000 in fuel.

From the article it says that the owner drove the truck long haul trips from his home to his job..so that would be a commuter vehicle.

IF he would have bought a 2007 Prius instead... 50mpg - 20000 gallons of fuel..thats $60000 in fuel.

He would have $140000 in his pocket in fuel alone.

---------------
Ok this is the mystery- commuter vehicle back and forth to his job. 1 million miles/ 9yrs. 111000 miles a year. A job worth driving that far for has to be a dang decent job..so lets say he works 5 days a week. So that puts the pickup truck on the road 2 days a week. That would be 104 days on the road. Thats 1000 miles a day...so that cant be right. So lets say he works his shift then goes home every day after work. 250 work days a year- thats 444 miles every day after work. at 60 miles per hour he would be on the road 7.5 hours every day after work... wait that dont make sense either.. he would have to split it up...so yeah he would have to drive 4 hours every day after work, then drive 4 hours to work.

There is no mention of tires and oil changes etc..so you gotta guess that there was alot of time spent doing tires and oil changes in between his breaks of not working and not driving...

He was hotshotting. He wasn't driving to his job, his job was driving (making deliveries). I don't think he could have fit the equipment he was delivering in a Prius.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
grin.gif

When I was working at a Ford dealership we did have a 5 year old V10 Super Duty come in with almost 800k on it. It had no rebuilds yet and towed a trailer everywhere. Owner was on the rodeo circuit. But things like belts, hoses, fluids, etc were changed conservatively and religiously.

Conservative and religiously. That is the key. And, it all depends on the type of miles miles. I have a 8 year old E450 6.0PSD with 87,000 (12,000 hours) and it is bleeding itself to death. It's twin is only 72K but it is to the point that it is sitting because I can't put 60% of my repair budget into it at the first of the budget year. I inherited a fleet that was the opposite of "conservatively and religiously". Worse, they ran B50 in the 6.0 for two years(Ford limits it to B5 max). Now the vehicle I purchased since then have been excellent but the 12mph average and now at 5000 hours still hurts. You don't know how "easy" highway miles are until you run a local-only service. Brakes last about 15K miles and Tires are 18-20K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back