0w30 vs. 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
No....no....musn't comment....no....

Be sure to put a BIG wing on it. Everyone knows, the bigger the wing, the faster the car goes.

Also, put lots of decals and stickers on the car. Stickers are 'slipperyer' than paint, so they will cut down on wind drag on your car, and make it faster.

Finally, if you are street racing, remember, there's no prize for second place! Do whatever you have to to win, even if it is illegal or dangerous. Killing or maiming a couple of innocent bystanders is NOTHING compared to the shame of loosing!

Rock on, dude!

That is some funny stuff! Awesome.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
I love these type of guys. Especially when they rev when they see me. I don't even waste my gas....

Your not afraid of a little rice are you?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rjnagler
there is more pickup with the mobil 1 oil even castrol edge help hp but was no good by 800 miles

What makes you think the Castrol Edge was "no good" after 800 miles?

For the 4-cylinder Honda motors GC 0W-30 is your best bet in my opinion. If you have oil comsumption or are running hot at high-rpms go for M1 0W-40. I wouldnt use M1 0W-30 in racing applications there are better oils out there like GC or AMSOil SSO 0W-30.

If you want to race, I would put pink slips up for my 69 Nova SS with the 396 V8.

Street racing is for idiots! I hope you get pulled over, cuffed and charged before you hurt anyone. If you hurt someone in my family you wouldn't make it past your 12th birthday!

Originally Posted By: webfors
Street racing is for idiots! I hope you get pulled over, cuffed and charged before you hurt anyone. If you hurt someone in my family you wouldn't make it past your 12th birthday!

Ditto. Theres no excuse for it anymore. WORST case scenario, find a backroad somehwere where you'll only kill yourself. If not, grow up and hand in your keys.

Although I don't agree with street racing competitions or rice wings (lol), I still think its hilarious when I don't even have to downshift to get around some teenager running his ricecar at 6000+ rpm's.

I will tell you that I have run Honda engines HARD for years with Mobil 1 5w30 and Valvoline Maxlife 5w30. Not really raced, just ran them hard because they tend to be underpowered, especially the D-series. Those motors are great in the older civics/CRX but anything newer is too heavy. Redline is also good oil. Never had any problems with a Honda motor (except maybe eventual oil burning), no matter how hard its driven so long as its maintained. I would not put a Xw20 in a B or D-series Honda engine, nor would I use Xw40 in one. Your Integra likely has a B18-variant engine. They really are made for Xw30. If you really want the best get GC 0w30.

Originally Posted By: hal

I will tell you that I have run Honda engines HARD for years with Mobil 1 5w30 and Valvoline Maxlife 5w30. Not really raced, just ran them hard because they tend to be underpowered, especially the D-series. Those motors are great in the older civics/CRX but anything newer is too heavy. Redline is also good oil. Never had any problems with a Honda motor (except maybe eventual oil burning), no matter how hard its driven so long as its maintained. I would not put a Xw20 in a B or D-series Honda engine, nor would I use Xw40 in one. Your Integra likely has a B18-variant engine. They really are made for Xw30. If you really want the best get GC 0w30.

Hi hal,
What about the C series? Do you think the same as above applies?

***edit I was mainly speaking of those 1990s-engineered 4-cylinder Honda engines. *** C-series is a V6 right? Being that its a larger motor it might be ok with a Xw40 (albeit probably unnecessary) and some of the newest ones might have Xw20 as an option. I bet it's spec'd for Xw30 though, but I'm not really sure about those. I'd go with the weight your manual calls for.

Last edited:
Thanx, yes V6's, though mine is the older C27, same as put in the original legend's. Typical low torque at low rpm's, first generation mechanical variable valves as opposed to VTEC, has always had a diet of xw30. I like it the way it is.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
For the 4-cylinder Honda motors GC 0W-30 is your best bet in my opinion. If you have oil comsumption or are running hot at high-rpms go for M1 0W-40. I wouldnt use M1 0W-30 in racing applications there are better oils out there like GC or AMSOil SSO 0W-30.

If you want to race, I would put pink slips up for my 69 Nova SS with the 396 V8.

Aw give him a break.These kids today dont have a clue as to what REAL horse power/torque is! They never experienced a real car! just these under powered sewing machines that sound like a loud [censored] going down the road!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: el_zorro

Aw give him a break.These kids today dont have a clue as to what REAL horse power/torque is! They never experienced a real car! just these under powered sewing machines that sound like a loud [censored] going down the road!

hmm,

well I finished college almost a decade ago, and friends of mine had a variety of cars, so I'm fairly unbiased.

A good buddy had a '71 Camaro SS with a 4 speed which was an amazing car! he and his dad rebuilt it, and it was immaculate.

I also had a friend who had an immaculate CRX with a modern japanese twin cam engine in it, that made over 220 hp @ 2100 lbs.

Dont get me wrong, the camaro would be my ride of choice, BUT, the CRX would have eaten its lunch. He ran low 13's. Not earth shattering, but nothing to laugh at.

Not that I'm not completely and utterly sick of the modified import scene, its just that some of them are genuinely quick.

Last edited:
Well given the choice my friend,A good 4bbl carb.and headers with turbo mufflers is still music to my ears.Heck even just a nice loud 4bbl is sweet to me!
thumbsup2.gif
And the best part is,you dont sound like your [censored] your pants going up the pike!
grin2.gif
A good friend of mine bought a nice 71 Chevelle after High school.4sp.tranny,and of course maxed out with the 383 build,cam and all of that good stuff! I love just hearing that baby idle.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryan2022
A good buddy had a '71 Camaro SS with a 4 speed which was an amazing car! he and his dad rebuilt it, and it was immaculate.

I also had a friend who had an immaculate CRX with a modern japanese twin cam engine in it, that made over 220 hp @ 2100 lbs.

Dont get me wrong, the camaro would be my ride of choice, BUT, the CRX would have eaten its lunch. He ran low 13's. Not earth shattering, but nothing to laugh at.

Not that I'm not completely and utterly sick of the modified import scene, its just that some of them are genuinely quick.

Come on man. It might win if the Camaro was a stock resto, but it certainly wouldn't "eat it for lunch". If there were any performance mods (especially if it was a big block); See you later CRX. I ran high 12's with a small block powered '83 malibu 4 door.

There is no replacement for displacement.

oh yeah, dont get me wrong.

I worked for a shop that dealt with race cars, mainly C3 and C4 corvettes as well as LT1 camaros.

The one C3 we had, had a 500+ hp, built race motor, side exit headers with 4" collectors to a dump pipe.

...It was one of the best ways I can think of to go deaf.

Even though I do like a handfull of japanese/european stuff, I will admit, there isnt a replacement for displacement.... its that simple.

Even forced induction like in a WRX. You still fight turbo lag, and you're missing that big hunk of low end power.

Last edited:
Yeah my pop's 32 Ford 3 Window with a 425HP 409 in it. Now that will be a crazy power to weight ratio, and unlike some modern ricers, it wont look like an electric razor.

Heck even my 70 Nova with the hot 327 (bored to aprox 340) it had in it ate every ricer I faced for lunch. Too many people start up front, but for street fast sometimes the best place to start is in the back by changing your gearing in your rear wheel drive cars. My car came with a 2.56 10 Bolt in it. Talk about zilch for low end. It was day and night when I went to a 3.55 12 bolt.

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
Yeah my pop's 32 Ford 3 Window with a 425HP 409 in it. Now that will be a crazy power to weight ratio, and unlike some modern ricers, it wont look like an electric razor.

Heck even my 70 Nova with the hot 327 (bored to aprox 340) it had in it ate every ricer I faced for lunch. Too many people start up front, but for street fast sometimes the best place to start is in the back by changing your gearing in your rear wheel drive cars. My car came with a 2.56 10 Bolt in it. Talk about zilch for low end. It was day and night when I went to a 3.55 12 bolt.

You bored .080+ on a 327?????? That is a LOT of meat to remove from the cylinder walls...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back