0w30 vs. 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
can i use the mobil 1 0w30 and still run my engine hard. i mean street racing hard have a 98 acura integra wanna soup it up and give it wings would love some feedback.....

I hear that 0w40 will make you faster and more furious
grin2.gif

In all serious if you plan on racing hard think more along the lines of redline.

Search for the post showing the lighter oils giving more horse power, I think you will want to use the 30wt over the 40wt for raw horse power reasons alone, much less the better start up properties....but you have to give us more information, do you have a turbo ? any mods to the car, any mods to the engine bay (other than cold air intake etc) any mods to the engine, and any mods to the internals of the engine... As in wings are you talking a bod kit, or a rear spoiler ? Now what is the engine in your car ? what does the original manufacture specs call for in oil ? do you know if it's been back spec for a newer oil ?

Eneos 0W50.. tho a 0w20 would make the most horsepower only by 1-2 i'd guess? fuel economy i've seen as high as 5.8% vs a 40w oil

No turbo but im putting a cold air intake on it. and a slx performance chip and flowmaster dont want to ruin engine just want to run it hard. at this point im probably only adding 20 to 30 hp i have the 1.8 dohc engine manufacturer calls for 5w30 i went ahead and changed to syn and love it just wanna find the best syn to run in my situation. using mobil 1 filter now with 0w40 mobil 1 works pretty good increased hp but getting less miles to the gallon. please know im new to this and eager to learn.

so far ive used syntec. synpower and now mobil 1 i think mobils the best

I doubt you'll gain 20 or 30HP from a CAI and a muffler. Maybe 5HP if you are lucky.

There will also be very little appreciable HP difference between oils between a 30 and 40 weight oil.

Hi,
rjnagler - OVERK1LL said this;
"There will also be very little appreciable HP difference between oils between a 30 and 40 weight oil."

IME that's about right. Other parasitic losses or gains may be more influencial rather than such a lubricant viscosity shift

Originally Posted By: rjnagler
No turbo but im putting a cold air intake on it. and a slx performance chip and flowmaster dont want to ruin engine just want to run it hard. at this point im probably only adding 20 to 30 hp i have the 1.8 dohc engine manufacturer calls for 5w30 i went ahead and changed to syn and love it just wanna find the best syn to run in my situation. using mobil 1 filter now with 0w40 mobil 1 works pretty good increased hp but getting less miles to the gallon. please know im new to this and eager to learn.

so far ive used syntec. synpower and now mobil 1 i think mobils the best

When you increase efficiency, you increase both HP and MPG. They are directly proportional.

there is more pickup with the mobil 1 oil even castrol edge help hp but was no good by 800 miles

What method did you use to determine that the Castrol Edge was no good? FWIW, Edge is a high TBN oil with a service life of 15K miles.

what oil do you guys recommend for the type of car that i have does any one out drive acura

I think you would be fine with any 30 weight synthetic oil.

grrrrr, where do I start.

We'll I drove an Acura for years, in a few different styles.

I had some modifications done, and SOME of them made a difference.

First of all, check online for local solo 2 or autocross clubs.

Also track days can be had for cheap if you live anywhere near a road course or 1/4 mile if that's your thing.

You WILL NOT net 20-30 hp out of the modifications you mentioned. For that kind of power, you'll need to look at cams/ manifolds/ throttle bodies with some computer work and an exhaust, and you might be close.

If you're going to street race, fill the engine with sand. If you're going to the track to really get a feel for the car and how it drives, continue to use a 5w30 synthetic.

If you burn oil, try 0w30 Castrol or a 0w40 Mobil or 40 wieght Amsoil.

Have fun and be safe/ smart

No....no....musn't comment....no....

Be sure to put a BIG wing on it. Everyone knows, the bigger the wing, the faster the car goes.

Also, put lots of decals and stickers on the car. Stickers are 'slipperyer' than paint, so they will cut down on wind drag on your car, and make it faster.

Finally, if you are street racing, remember, there's no prize for second place! Do whatever you have to to win, even if it is illegal or dangerous. Killing or maiming a couple of innocent bystanders is NOTHING compared to the shame of loosing!

Rock on, dude!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Be sure to put a BIG wing on it. Everyone knows, the bigger the wing, the faster the car goes.

Also, put lots of decals and stickers on the car. Stickers are 'slipperyer' than paint, so they will cut down on wind drag on your car, and make it faster.

Finally, if you are street racing, remember, there's no prize for second place! Do whatever you have to to win, even if it is illegal or dangerous. Killing or maiming a couple of innocent bystanders is NOTHING compared to the shame of loosing!

Rock on, dude!

+1 and dont forget the 8 inch tailpipe, good for at least another 30 HP.....LOL

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Rock on, dude!

LOL. that was worth it!

rjnagler - You can use M1 0-30 and run the engine hard.
it is on of many excellent oils.

As to mods: The cold air may net you 2 HP, if the manifolding is better. Flowmaster? HP could go up or down. Chip? Ah ha! There is where the power gains can come from! But figure 10, maybe 15 outside. Your car is already decently tuned from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back