0w30 in place of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If it takes 5w20 why not use 0w20? Not sure why you would run 0w30 instead.

Because slightly higher HTHS will not hurt a thing, and might even prove useful once in a while.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Can a 0w30, say Mobil 1 not Castrol Edge, be safely used in place where a 5w20 is called for? The specific engine is a Ford 3.7L V6 Duratec. If yes, would the 0w30 protect significantly more. Conditions are short tripper, stop and go in Northern California.

Thanks in advance!

Sure!
A 0w-x syn will very likely flow a bit better on those near-freezing mornings.
The extra visc when warm may not be necessary, but won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
I owned a 2006 Honda Accord 2.4L that called for 5W20, from 50K miles to 110K miles I ran conventional 5W30 changing every 4K miles. When I sold the car it ran perfectly. Based in my years of experience I would run 0W30 or 5W30 with no concern whatsoever. Do it!

Those Honda engines you speak were so responsive to oil and more importantly, fluid dynamics. the case with the vtec v6 version, that you could easily discern when energy conserving oil(5w-20) was used versus something it originally speced for which was 5w-30 (atleast that was the case with the V6s, pretty sure same with 2.4 4cyl)..right now, my major concern for imminent OCI is 0w-30 versus 0w-20 since like your aforementioned Accord 2.4 are very responsive to fluid dynamics so it is indeed a box of chocolates and for us to identify the best performing oils for our applications. as we were, gents..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back