0w30 high mileage availability?

I’m struggling to find a 0w30 high mileage oil, there is such a thing - right? Even better if DEXOS rated.

You'll find one of these first.

1691949960110.jpg

Good Housekeeping

What type of vehicle? There's plenty of HM 0W-20 available that are better suited for MN winters.

I’m struggling to find a 0w30 high mileage oil, there is such a thing - right? Even better if DEXOS rated.
“High mileage” oils and dexos ratings are essentially mutually exclusive due to their add packs. Plus, since dexos is a royalty license mainly for warranty requirements, and engines needing “high mileage oils” are generally outside of warranty, very few if any oil companies would pay for a dexos license that merely increases their product cost but does not really expand their customer base.

“High mileage” oils and dexos ratings are essentially mutually exclusive due to their add packs. Plus, since dexos is a royalty license mainly for warranty requirements, and engines needing “high mileage oils” are generally outside of warranty, very few if any oil companies would pay for a dexos license that merely increases their product cost but does not really expand their customer base.
I see this one at Walmart all the time
08AD7AD6-6D49-4BF1-81B8-90BC03D8CB08.jpeg

Since Dexos does not apply, M1 FS 0W-40 should cover HM 30 and the 0W part and the obligation to mention the King of the hill.

Thick 30 (HM) almost same as thin 40. Can't recall but isn't M1 0W-40 on the thinner side of the 40 spec?

I think we have a perfect match at half the price plus some Euro bells & whistles!

I see this one at Walmart all the timeView attachment 172712
Yep, you got me. There are 7 high mileage oils out of 1156 licensed d1G3 oils on GMs list; Castrol and Quaker State each offer a 0w20 and 5w30. This includes duplicates of Castrol’s 5w30 and both Quaker States for some reason, doesn’t make sense how they’d have two different 5w30 HM offerings.

I’d say less than half of one percent (five per thousand) meets the definition of “very few”, wouldn’t you?

I gave up on 0w30 since its hard to find, and if its there, its 20$ more than what I pay for 5w30. If you aren't living in -10C temps 24/7...Don't see a difference between 0w and 5w IRL.

Using the M1 0W-30 ESP on the late model Merc GLC300. Well respected and available at Autozone, O'Rielly's and Advance Auto in 5qt. but only single qts sold at Walmart so far.

May be overkill and a bit costly. Appreciate it is NOT labelled as "high mileage".

Thanks for the responses. The vehicles in question are a ‘14 Equinox and a ‘14 CR-V. My daughters are going to school in Duluth and won’t have access to electrical outlets for aux heaters. Just looking for something that would cover both vehicles especially LSPI and DI in the Equinox - thus the DEXOS bit. For whatever it’s worth I do like to run HM oils in all my vehicles. Ran 0w-30 (non HM) in an old ‘03 CR-V in Duluth last winter with no problems. Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses. The vehicles in question are a ‘14 Equinox and a ‘14 CR-V. My daughters are going to school in Duluth and won’t have access to electrical outlets for aux heaters. Just looking for something that would cover both vehicles especially LSPI and DI in the Equinox - thus the DEXOS bit. For whatever it’s worth I do like to run HM oils in all my vehicles. Ran 0w-30 (non HM) in an old ‘03 CR-V in Duluth last winter with no problems. Thanks again.
Any Dexos 1 Gen 2/3 Oil / API-SP / ILSAC GF-6 oil will do fine and if you are sub 0 in the morning's no problem running a 0w20. Ive ran 0w20 and 0w16 for many many miles problem free but I run a 5w30 in this hot summers here (although this has been the most mild summer in the state's history). A few people around here stand by the low Ca oils (Castrol) for LSPI but I data log my GDI turbo engines with valvoline's 1200ppm Ca and don't have any knock or LSPI even with tunes.

HM oil will simply help condition various silicone/rubber seals. Its not gonna seal things like head gaskets. So is there really a reason?

Back