0w30 for the new Caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking of running 0w30 Signature Series in the new Caravan instead of the 5w20 as the manual says that 5w30 can be run if 5w20 is not available but that 5w20 assures best cold weather performance and improved fuel economy Blah Blah Blah.

My dad has been running 5w30 conventional in his for the last 100K (60K Miles) but it did run 5w20 conventional when it was a fleet vehicle for the first 200K (120K miles).

There are limited UOA's here with GC's running a 30wt so it's hard to gauge which it seems to prefer. I did look through the UOA's for other PentaStar equipped vehicles but this might be skewed in different setups than the Caravans due to different operating conditions and transmissions. There seems to be 20wt, 30wt, 40wt's all used with about the same results.

Third thought is maybe I'll run the 0w30 in the summer and the 0w20 in the winter.

Thoughts? (Not looking to make this a thick/thin conversation, just what suits the engine best conversation)

Last edited:
And here I thought you were the advocate for 20 grade oil. j/k.

I run 5W30 PU in my 3.6L Pentastar Wrangler and won't be going back to a 20 grade. I'm certain you'll be fine with SS 0W30.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I run 5W30 PU in my 3.6L Pentastar Wrangler and won't be going back to a 20 grade. I'm certain you'll be fine with SS 0W30.

I got no quibbles about running a 20wt. Just want whatever the engine setup prefers. If it does better on a 20 so be it but seeing as this engine is virtually untouched since it was spec'ed with a 30wt makes me think it might do better on a 30. Oh and I read your posts on the Jeep forums.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
0w30, either in Amsoil SS or M1 AFE brands, is a good idea in any 0w20, 5w20, and most xw30 applications. Year around. Especially good for summer in xw20 applications.
You would get a small benefit in start up wear & fuel economy when using a 0w20 in November-February though.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Why do some Canadians on here seem to prefer a thicker oil than called for?

I only raised the question because this engine was originally spec'ed for a 30wt and the design has remained virtually unchanged since then. Otherwise I would go with what's on the oil cap at 5w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I got no quibbles about running a 20wt. Just want whatever the engine setup prefers. If it does better on a 20 so be it but seeing as this engine is virtually untouched since it was spec'ed with a 30wt makes me think it might do better on a 30. Oh and I read your posts on the Jeep forums.
grin2.gif

Part of the switch for me to a 30 grade was also based on what you mentioned here. The engine was originally spec'd for 30 grade, then they went to 20 grade only, and then they stated 20 or 30 grade was OK. I haven't seen a 2018 owners manual though. Again either should be fine. Yes I do frequent other forums of interest.
wink.gif

It depends on use case IMO. I have no issues running a 20 weight oil in a port injected, non-forced induction, engine that has ~6quart sump and has no history of fuel dilution.

Driving with a loaded van with family, pulling a trailer for almost 5k miles across the east coast and Newfoundland, I use a 30 weight to protect against those spikes in engine temp.

Our van gets only VWB. 5w30 in the summer and 5w20 in the winter. I have enough for another 4 years in my stash
grin.gif

Originally Posted by webfors
It depends on use case IMO. I have no issues running a 20 weight oil in a port injected, non-forced induction, engine that has ~6quart sump and has no history of fuel dilution.

Driving with a loaded van with family, pulling a trailer for almost 5k miles across the east coast and Newfoundland, I use a 30 weight to protect against those spikes in engine temp.

Our van gets only VWB. 5w30 in the summer and 5w20 in the winter. I have enough for another 4 years in my stash
grin.gif

Thanks... That real world info helps.
thumbsup2.gif
I feel like the PentaStar's are so well designed that it could be a true Million kilometer (600K mile) engine and would love to go that far with the highway miles I drive for work.

Here is what the 2018 GC manual says.

Pretty much the same as my 2016 Rubicon's OM.

Originally Posted by Zee09
I'd mix equal parts of 5w30 with 5w20 Amsoil SS and that way everybody will be happy
smile.gif

lol.gif
The 5w20 will get into all the tight spaces and the 30 will protect all the thicker gaps. Those molecules are smart like that.

Last edited:
See if you like the car before dreaming which oil will make your life worth living. Oil is oil with the proper specs..

Originally Posted by CT8
See if you like the car before dreaming which oil will make your life worth living. Oil is oil with the proper specs..

We have 3 of these vans in the family and I have driven one for 4 years prior. The test drive was also great so I know I will be fine with this one.

While spec's are specs there can be better than just meeting the spec.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

We have 3 of these vans in the family and I have driven one for 4 years prior. The test drive was also great so I know I will be fine with this one.

While spec's are specs there can be better than just meeting the spec.
wink.gif

Why did you buy the Toyota then !!! I am razzing you !!! The 0W-30 oils seem to work well in most every gas engine . .

Yea, I thought you were a 0w-20 guy? Anyways, Mopar MS-6395 was originally PYB 5w or 10w-30. Why the Amsoil? Save your money and buy the wife something nice!

Last edited:
xw-20 works for millions of vehicles for billions of miles.
xw-30 works for millions of vehicles for billions of miles.

Use a xw-20 if you want. Use a xw-30 if you want. It will make no difference in that (and most other) vehicle(s).

I personally have come to terms in using what the manufacturer specs for my specific vehicle.
Or if I want to change weight, I will do so because it really won't matter (unless using a 20w-50 in a 0w-20 spec vehicle and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back