0W20 or 5W20 ok to mix?

Hi

I was going to help a friend this weekend and change the oil in her 2019 Toyota Corolla

It takes 0W20.

I have 3 quarts of 5W20 Mobile Full Synthetic sitting in my garage. I also have a jug of the 0W20 Full Synthetic from Kirkland. Actaully I bought both of these oils at Costco.

The location is the SF bay area so it is not too hot and not too cold.

is it ok to use the 3 quarts of 5W20 and they 0W20 for the remaining?

I believe the total capacity if 4.4 quarts with the oil filter change.

Thanks

Okay. So use the jug of 0W-20 then top off with the 5W-20. What are you actually asking?
sorry I wasn't clear. I have some 5w20 bottles lying around and none of my current cars call for that weight. So I sort of want to get rid of them.

Not your car so it's ok to mix as long as you don't tell her.

Joking aside, I have used 10w30 in my TL when it calls for 5w20 with no issues to the engine or the mileage. As long as quality of oil is good and using a good oil filter, no worries.

Yes, its fine. The first number, the W, will end up falling somewhere between 0 and 5W. The engine will never notice the difference, and you or your friend won't either. A 5w oil is usable down to something like -30F anyway so the temperature is something you will never have to worry about, either.

Both are 20-grade oils. The winter rating only matters for your expected starting conditions. Between those two if you are not starting below -25F or so then it won't make a bit of difference.

Back