0w20 Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trolling this board lately and trying to learn as much as possible. I drive a 2002 Honda Civic Si, as I am sure you know the owners manual calls for 5w-20. I was first skeptical about this weight. It sounds as though this board is beginning to accept this weight and after seeing results from oil analysis I though that I would give this weight a try. I would like to use M1 (for various reasons) and have been waiting for them to release their version of 5w-20. Being impatient I emailed Mobil 1 and asked them when they will release this new weight to the market. In response to the email I received:

"Mobil1 0W20 motor oil will be available in March 2003 which will be approved for all 5W20 vehicles."

My question is with the varying support of the thin 5w-20 how will this even newer, even thinner 0w-20 be accepted?

I'm looking forward to the new M1 0w-20 also. I understand that it uses no VI improvers and will have Ford and Honda approval. That means it has to pass a double-length sequence IIIF test. I'm sure it will be a fine oil. I just hope that it's as widely available as the other M1 weights. The 0w-20 is only thinner than 5w-20 at very cold temperatures where you want an oil to be thinner.

Well, I sorta addressed this before. xW-20 is the future. However, you can expect uphill sledding in regards to acceptance from the Luddites in Europe and Japan (much the same as their Luddite resistance to genetic engineering of crops to dramatically reduce wear and tear on the environment).

Its simply too obvious to thin the oil a tad (taking into account the vastly improved additive packages of the last five years) and slightly alter engine design to have this accepted in certain quarters.

They'd much rather Kyoto-harp on CO2 emmissions on a "per capita" basis and totally ignore CO2 emmissions based upon a country's "landmass capacity to absorb CO2" basis.

[ January 15, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

quote:

Originally posted by Surprise:

My question is with the varying support of the thin 5w-20 how will this even newer, even thinner 0w-20 be accepted?

I'm sure it will have it's share of skeptics, many on here as well, however once the oil analysis results come in showing it can do the job, they'll change their mind.

My way of thinking is this. If a car is designed for 5w30, such as a lot of the tight clearance OHC engines, then it can run a 5w20 or 0w20 with no problems, at least when new.

For an older engine that's looser, you will want something thicker. And I still feel most comfortable with a thicker oil in my old pushrod V8. With an engine like this it'll probably see better results with a 30wt oil that's closer to the top end of the scale, or even a thinner 40wt oil.

But for a brand new tight engine, I think the 20wt oils will do just fine.

Weight reduction is far more effective in improving mpg than thinner oils. Putting 5w20 in a 3 ton SUV for improved gas mileage seems pretty stupid to me. Now Honda putting 5w20 in the Insight makes a lot of sense.

Surprise, I'm driving the same vehicle (I've got a post in the oil analysis section if you're interested for this vehicle). I am running 5w-30 for the time being, but I will probably try 3w-30 or 0w-20 next, haven't decided.

My personal choice is to use a good synthetic if you are going with a xw-20 oil , I don't think it matters whether it is 5w or 0w. If you are set on a conventional oil my choice would be Castrol 5w-20 as it is heavily loaded up with moly additive to assist with metal to metal contact, the other oils are not. I would not trust any other conventional 5w-20 oil, even the Honda bottled stuff. Honda has recently released a 0w-20 oil for the insight BTW, I doubt it is synthetic though. hth, good luck with your choice, if you ever do some oil analysis testing please let us know I would love to see the results and how they compare to mine. I should have a third oil analysis test by late spring, at which time I have to decide whether or not to run a thinner oil than 5w-30.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
Well, I sorta addressed this before. xW-20 is the future. However, you can expect uphill sledding in regards to acceptance from the Luddites in Europe and Japan (much the same as their Luddite resistance to genetic engineering of crops to dramatically reduce wear and tear on the environment).

Its simply too obvious to thin the oil a tad (taking into account the vastly improved additive packages of the last five years) and slightly alter engine design to have this accepted in certain quarters.

They'd much rather Kyoto-harp on CO2 emmissions on a "per capita" basis and totally ignore CO2 emmissions based upon a country's "landmass capacity to absorb CO2" basis.

I can see one poster who is gonna trial the canola based lubricating oils in the near future.

Another way of looking is to say "Use what is beneath your soils and nothing else". Then we'd see a reduction in greenhouse emissions.

It will be interesting to see the new Mobil oil. I would surmise with their experience with the other Supersyns it will be a fine oil. Time will tell won't it?
smile.gif

I am thinking it will have mucho Moly in it,,any thoughts on that and Mobil dropping the 0/30 oil from the line-up ?

I don't see them dropping 0w30 from their lineup, as I think it probably sells pretty well for them. It would sell even better if they'd actually sell it in Canada in all the same places they sell their 5w30/10w30/15w50.

[ January 16, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

"but I will probably try 3w-30 or 0w-20 next, haven't decided. "

This was question in a previous posting, but thought I would raise the question again. The SAE J300 Viscosity Classification does not list a "3W" as one of the recognized engine oil viscosity grades, at least in its December 1999 edition.

Another way of looking is to say "Use what is beneath your soils and nothing else". Then we'd see a reduction in greenhouse emissions.

The majority (approx. 93%) of Green House emissions are caused by soil, forest fires, cosmic rays, and volcanoes. The rest is caused by man.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

If this approach was taken, then there would be massive starvation in the world like the world has never seen, and Wars to conquer land resources would become the norm. The earth has been warming up for thousands of years, long before the discovery of oil and the industrialization of the world. Why would anyone expect to be able to control this trend?

Sorry for going
offtopic.gif

Surprise, apologies for dragging off topic with my reply.

There's now a thread in the General and Off-Topic.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Surprise, apologies for dragging off topic with my reply.

There's now a thread in the General and Off-Topic.

No problem, I find the discussion very interesting.
smile.gif

mojo,

Synergyn Oil in OK has a product that they call a 3w-30. This is simply a marketing thing that is supposed to attract attention and indicate that the cold temp properties are even better than a 5w-30. If you look at the actual viscometrics of this oil, it is essentially a 0w-30, PAO/Ester like the Mobil 1 or Amsoil synlubes ....

The synergyn 3w-30 ends up costing about $70.00 - including shipping - for a 12 quart case. So that's midway between the mobil 1, 0w-30 and the Series 2000, 0w-30 in terms of price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back