Mobil 1 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Scooter:
FYI - In an e-mail reply from Mobil.... "Mobil1 0W20 motor oil will be on the market in March 2003."

And since Canada is always behind in getting their new stuff, we probably won't see it up here until late 2003. For instance, you guys got SuperSyn in April, while we just got our first batches a few weeks ago.

Cool, Ill have to let my friend know. He has a Mustang GT and won't put anything but a 5w-20 in. Right now he is using Amsoil's 5w-20, which is a group III oil. I'd like to see how it stacks up against this.

[ December 05, 2002, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
True, I find it hard to believe auto engineers would recommend an oil that doesnt hold up. It will be fine I'm sure. Like SS, which everyone knocked, it turned out to be great.

You have to consider this: Most people figure if they get 100k on a motor, that it has been a very good motor. that is fine until you consider hat almost all engines made today are designed to last a minimun of 150k or better. So with that 100k mentality, using that 5w-20 and getting only 100k out of that motor,you get happy and go out and buy another car figuring that the 100k you got was quality engineering..sound feasable?

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
The Insight engine runs part time so an ultra low viscosity oil makes sense in a drive train that does not [make sense]. The engine runs part time so it does not reach full operating temps. Engine tends to run rich due to low temps so this should yeild reduced engine life and higher overall emissions. This is my suspicion for the 'hybrid' cars.

FALSE. FALSE. FALSE. Please stop spreading mis-information and "suspicions" when you obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

The Insight engine runs 100% of the time, except when not moving. AND, it runs just as hot as any other engine. AND, it passes SULEV/ULEV emissions standards.

If you don't know, don't talk. Thank you. There's enough false information floating around on the web. We don't need false rumors about the Insight Hybrid being spread too.

So, please, stop spreading false information.

Troy

P.S. Note that I'm am challenging your false ideas, not you. You're probably a really nice guy, but the information you're spreading about the Insight is completely and totally false. Please stop.

quote:

Originally posted by troy_heagy:

The Insight engine runs 100% of the time, except when not moving.

Umm, which means the engine does not run 100% of the time after starting the vehicle, no? Making it run part-time, as previously stated.

Whats with the long winded diatribe about false information?

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Umm, which means the engine does not run 100% of the time after starting the vehicle, no? Making it run part-time, as previously stated

Saying the engine runs "part-time" implies that you can drive down the road with the engine turned off. That's not true. Anytime the car is moving, so is the engine. The Insight engine operates 99.9% of the time.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Whats with the long winded diatribe about false information?

(1) I own a Honda Insight.

(2) People who open their mouths and spread false information annoy me. They should just keep their mouths shut if they don't know what they are talking about.

Mormit was spreading false info about the Insight, and people were believing him. Instead, Mormit should have kept his mouth shut and stop spreading lies.

Troy this is for your information:

Try to temper your comments on another poster or you are going to annoy me. Final Warning and I personally don't care if you don't like me or my comments to you. Enough said.

[ May 24, 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

So wheres the documentation that the engine is runing 99.9% of the time? I know my vehicles are stopped a lot more that 0.1% of the time they are running.

Just trying to prevent the passing on of falsehoods and lies when all I've seen is a difference in terminology - specifically what constitues "part-time operation".

from http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002307

quote:

I guess the reason for the 0W is because the hybrids turn off their engines sometimes.
Troy

quote:

Mormit was spreading false info about the Insight, and people were believing him. Instead, Mormit should have kept his mouth shut and stop spreading lies.

dunno.gif

-

Troy,

Instead of busting anyones chops about not telling the truth, many may be telling the truth as they know it. That my friend isn't a lie. Might I suggest that instead, just say, I don't agree with what you're saying because.......

then explain the what's and why's as you know it. That way we all can learn from your experiences /expertise in the subject. This is how we all gain from this board. We're not like other boards, getting personal and accusing one of something gets none of us anywhere. So, tell us exactly what you know on the subject and help us all understand. Thanks.

Okay, I suppose I was a little harsh. I'm just tired of people spreading lies about the Honda Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Toyota Prius. These hybrid cars have a hard enough time selling themselves without people spreading false facts.

But, that's no excuse for how I talked to mormit. I'm sorry.

Now, please re-read what mormit said:
quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
Bror: The Insight engine runs part time so an ultra low viscosity oil makes sense in a drive train that does not. The engine runs part time so it does not reach full operating temps. Engine tends to run rich due to low temps so this should yeild reduced engine life and higher overall emissions. This is my suspicion for the 'hybrid' cars. I would like to see some real emissions data on these engines....OK Monarch, you can rant on me about your 200k mi Prius......
rolleyes.gif

(1) He said the Insight engine runs "part-time". Okay that's rather vague, so I'll skip it. I'll just agree with him.

(2) He said the engine does not reach full operating temperature. That's simply NOT true. The Insight operates just like any car: It runs until it's hot.

(3) "Engine runs rich," he said. Again, not true. If it ran rich, how on earth would it get 70 mpg? Plus, it has lean-burn, so it runs lean much of the time.

(4) And finally he says it has higher emissions. Again, false. The Insight like all cars is strictly regulated to meet ULEV standards (SULEV in California) and monitored by various Emissions Inspections Programs. It has ultra-low emissions.

Mormit is spreading false information. It's the equivalent of me coming in here and saying, "Synthetic oil is trash! Don't use it!" I'm spreading false information. Anyway, I don't think he's doing it intentionally... it's just lack of knowledge.

MY point was that he should not be stating false facts about the Insight. He should go *educate himself first* before discussing the car. Why? Because Mormit is presenting himself as an Insight expert. When he said the Insight runs cold, runs rich, has high emissions, and a short engine life, most people believed him. They believed his false information.

And then *those* people will go tell other people, "The Insight runs rich and has high emissions. Don't buy one." And so on. That's how false rumors, urban legends, et cetera get spread.

My position is that Mormit should simply say, "I don't know much about the Insight, so I cannot comment," rather than spreading false facts.

That is all.
Okay now... re-reading my position, did I say anything in this message that was offensive?

If yes, what was it? I will apologize for it.

Troy

[ May 25, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

Troy,

Thanks, as I see you're making an effort.

Example,
You say.. he's spreading false information...
Try... He's mis informed and is not correct from what I know(or IMO). Here's why..

Ok, first statement can get you in trouble as you really don't know who you're talking with and that person just might be the engineer that built it.

Second statement leaves you an out as like most of us on here, don't know it all and just maybe YOU might be the one mis informed.

Now, from my experience, I've come to learn that even though I may have a lot of information about a subject, I've always had someone come in behind me that was a tad more intelligent than I about the subject, and you might even find that once in a while the person you're talking to is actually more involved in the subject than first thought. I've learned many things from many people and especially when I had thought I knew it, I'd come to find out that maybe I was wrong. That's what this whole board is about. We all can gain from experience.

I have seen many boards on the internet that are quite rude, pointing fingers, yell and call names at each other and accuse people of stuff when in fact the guy may not have been informed and on occasion, I've seen where someone who knows what they are talking about, get the same lack of respect. On here, we try to share respect and the word, lying,just isn't something that goes with that.

I'm sure you may have seen what I'm talking about and by no means am I accusing you of any of this, just hope you can look back and see how that when talking with others, you might want to talk to them as if in person or maybe how you'd want someone to talk to you.

I see your point Bob about friendly discussions. You're right.

Still, I find it hard to tolerate people who see a car like the Insight, Civic, or Prius Hybrid, and then just make up a bunch of false information about them. I consider that the equivalent of saying 2+2 = 5. Rather than make it up, the poster should go get a math book and confirm it.

Or else, make no comment at all.

I guess I expect too much from people. It's just part of human nature to "fake it" rather than say, "I don't know." I need to learn to be more tolerant.
Let me share my experiences with the Insight:
(1) It's ULEV-rated and 70 mpg highway by the EPA. It's rated as the #1 Cleanest Car by www.greenercars.org

(2) When you turn it on, it idles at 1500 rpm until it reaches operating temperature. It becomes "hot" very, very quickly.

(3) The car has auto-stop to save gas. If during auto-stop the engine cools off, it will automatically turn itself back on.

(4) Under light-load conditions (highway mostly) the Insight will enter into a Lean-Burn mode.

(5) I expect the car to last 200,000 miles. Why? Because it's a Honda. Their engines last forever.

(6) I expect the battery to last 200,000 miles. Sure, it might be a little "weak" but it will still do its job. It's a NiMH battery and they last a very, very, very long time.

(7) Even if the battery was completely dead, the Insight would still work. The car is built with redundancy so it can operate just like a normal gasoline car. In other words at end-of-battery-life, I can still use the Insight.

More info: www.insightcentral.net

Everything I said above also appies to the Civic Hybrid, except since it's a larger car/larger engine, it's MPG = 51 highway.

Troy

[ May 25, 2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back