0W20 at Dealership, Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Navy Chief! Yes, I know you said every 5k. I was referring more to the people at the dealership all saying 10k with synthetic oil, and 5k with non synthetic. It doesn’t matter what oil you use, it’s more about driving conditions. Dealers need to start asking questions about how people use their vehicles to determine the oil change interval rather using the oil to determine it.
I am going to ask soon as I pick it up. This will be the last time I have dealership do this.
I do all my oil changes, but traveling a lot and the skid plate, jacking up issue will be resolved soon.
Ps, Retired STSC(SS).

I am going to ask soon as I pick it up. This will be the last time I have dealership do this.
I do all my oil changes, but traveling a lot and the skid plate, jacking up issue will be resolved soon.
Ps, Retired STSC(SS).
I have a 15 and 20 4 runner. Ease run 5w30 in both. EP M1. The 15 has 275k and the 20 has 90k. Never had any issues. I also run 5w30 No VII in my LC but switching to HPL PCEO 5w40 in it.

True. I will once I can jack it up safely...The 4runners skid plate needs to come off. It hook into the frame a little. I am going to take it in to the hobby shop next oil change and take the plate off, cut the tabs that hook it. Then I can take skid plate straight off without have to jack the 4runner up high enough to get plate off, safely.. I have a 3 ton jack and with a 4x4 block I can barely get it high enough to accomplish this.
So, DIY for sure next time..

I have a 5th gen 4Runner. The last time I changed the oil I did it with the vehicle just parked in front of the garage, and didn't jack it up at all. I slid under and removed the skidplate bolts, and removed the skidplates. No need to cut off the tabs on the front of the skidplate, just slide the skidplate forward so the tabs come out of the slots. It's easy.

I've read on 4Runner forums were people have advised cutting off the tabs. It makes absolutely no sense to do so.

I do have a 2-post lift in my garage, but it was occupied by another vehicle. Changing the oil on the 4Runner when it is just parked on flat ground is easy, IMO.

As for the Dealer, I'd ask them what oil specifically they are using? Very unlikely that it's the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Most likely it's Valvoline, Pennzoil, or some other name brand bought in bulk. Which is fine. It's just probably not the TGMO they'll sell at the Parts counter in 1 QT. bottles.

If you do go to the Dealer for an oil change, I'd recommend taking off the skidplates beforehand, as lube techs have a bad habit of stripping, crossthreading, or over-torquing fasteners.

Please post where you found that 90% of drivers are in a lot of stop and go traffic. Statistics can be made up or backed up!
Where is your proof that it’s not? 😂😂

You can do your own research if you don’t think something is accurate. It’s not hard to know that well over the majority of Americans live in or around the city, there are more people in California then in all of Canada, at least while I lived there 12 yrs ago (you can look that up too), it’s hard to drive anywhere with out encountering stop and go. I live in the mountains of NC where the population is small and I encounter stop and go EVERYDAY! So, what do you think the percentage is? 😂😂😂

Remember, the Toyota 4Runner O/M states to change oil every 5k if you are in stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, or tow, it doesn’t state how much, so with that being said, wouldn’t that be everybody? So I guess it’s actually 100% 😂😂

Last edited:
Navy Chief! Yes, I know you said every 5k. I was referring more to the people at the dealership all saying 10k with synthetic oil, and 5k with non synthetic. It doesn’t matter what oil you use, it’s more about driving conditions. Dealers need to start asking questions about how people use their vehicles to determine the oil change interval rather using the oil to determine it.
Arent there multiple examples of long term tests of basic conventional oil (chevron supreme, Quaker state conv, etc) used in taxi fleets for 6k+ miles? And this is to much older specs. One was actually in Vegas too. This would be the ultimate definition of “stop and go” driving.

So what makes you think us normal, non-taxi drivers couldn’t go 10k on a full syn in a brand of car that’s knows for reliability?

Arent there multiple examples of long term tests of basic conventional oil (chevron supreme, Quaker state conv, etc) used in taxi fleets for 6k+ miles? And this is to much older specs. One was actually in Vegas too. This would be the ultimate definition of “stop and go” driving.

So what makes you think us normal, non-taxi drivers couldn’t go 10k on a full syn in a brand of car that’s knows for reliability?
I don’t think you can’t.
I’m simply going off what Toyota 4 runner O/M RECOMMENDS. They state using TGMO oil 0w20 to change it 10k interval, UNLESS , you drive in dusty condition, stop and go, or tow, then it must be every 5k. This is based off their oil recommendation only. I only drive Toyotas for personal use so I don’t really know what other manufacturers say in their O/M nor do I care, this is for the Toyota 4 runner that tje OP was asking about

With all that being said, there are way better oils out there where you can go much longer and everyone is different. My LC. is only driven about 2k miles a year and I’m using HPL and I plan on doing a two year oil change and I tow with it, that’s because I only put so few miles on it and I’m using a better quality oil with higher viscosity and I’m not using what Toyota RECOMMENDS, now if I were using what my O/M recommends which is TGMO 0w20 and I tow with it, I would change it every six months, because it would be 5k or 6 months. But I’m not so I know I can go longer.
I hope this helps.
Everyone’s driving habits and situation is different. That’s why it’s not about the oil, it’s more about the driving conditions.

I don’t think you can’t.
I’m simply going off what Toyota 4 runner O/M RECOMMENDS. They state using TGMO oil 0w20 to change it 10k interval, UNLESS , you drive in dusty condition, stop and go, or tow, then it must be every 5k. This is based off their oil recommendation only. I only drive Toyotas for personal use so I don’t really know what other manufacturers say in their O/M nor do I care, this is for the Toyota 4 runner that tje OP was asking about

With all that being said, there are way better oils out there where you can go much longer and everyone is different. My LC. is only driven about 2k miles a year and I’m using HPL and I plan on doing a two year oil change and I tow with it, that’s because I only put so few miles on it and I’m using a better quality oil with higher viscosity and I’m not using what Toyota RECOMMENDS, now if I were using what my O/M recommends which is TGMO 0w20 and I tow with it, I would change it every six months, because it would be 5k or 6 months. But I’m not so I know I can go longer.
I hope this helps.
Everyone’s driving habits and situation is different. That’s why it’s not about the oil, it’s more about the driving conditions.
But what exactly does “stop and go” MEAN? Is it in reference to a taxi or Uber delivery vehicle? What goes “extended idling” MEAN? Is it in reference to how a police car is operated?

I’d like to believe these EXTREME conditions apply to the minority of people operating these vehicles. Otherwise, how could Toyota build such a reputation worldwide?

But what exactly does “stop and go” MEAN? Is it in reference to a taxi or Uber delivery vehicle? What goes “extended idling” MEAN? Is it in reference to how a police car is operated?

I’d like to believe these EXTREME conditions apply to the minority of people operating these vehicles. Otherwise, how could Toyota build such a reputation worldwide?
I don’t know that answer. The O/M just says stop and go! It’s up to the individual to interpret what that means.

Your opinion might be different from someone else.

I was concerned that the blend wasnt true.
As long as it meets Toyota requirements, then its okay.
Their synthetic, which is standard, is 10k mile intervals. I do 5 K mile intervals regardless.
this right here is what made me say what I’m saying.

The people working at the dealership will say if you use TGMO synthetic, you can go 10k but if you use conventional you can only go 5k.

My whole point is, it’s not the oil that determines the interval, it’s the driving conditions. That’s why I think the people working at these places need to read the O/M and understand that everyone driving Conditions is different and for the Toyota 4 runner, LC, and Tundra the O/M states that dusty roads, stop and go, or if you tow the oil change should be 5k using their recommended oil 0w20.

Now could you go longer than 5k with this oil doing these things sure, but what’s the limit, only way to know is do an oil sample. The problem with that is not everyone is going to do that. So it’s important that service writer ask question like when a guy pulls up in a Tundra, he should ask, do you tow with this truck and if the person says yes, he should say, your O/M recommends 5k if you tow. Then he can leave it up to the owner say yes or no, but make sure they are aware instead of just saying it’s good to 10k regardless.

The problem is, it doesn’t say how much towing, or dusty driving, or how much stop and go, that is for each person to decide.

I would never use TGMO 0w20 for 10k, in fact, I wouldn’t use any off the shelf oil for 10k in any of my vehicles, regardless if I was doing those things are not, but that’s just me.

I use Mobil 1 ep, afe, and the regular Mobil 1 all the time in my 4 runners, and in my previous Tundras and LC’s but always changed it at 5k. Very seldom went over, if I did, it was only maybe 1k or so.

I just think people are wrapped up with 10k OCI and set on it, without really reading the O/M to see what it actually says because if they did read it, I bet a lot less people would go 10k and change it much sooner.

this right here is what made me say what I’m saying.

The people working at the dealership will say if you use TGMO synthetic, you can go 10k but if you use conventional you can only go 5k.

My whole point is, it’s not the oil that determines the interval, it’s the driving conditions. That’s why I think the people working at these places need to read the O/M and understand that everyone driving Conditions is different and for the Toyota 4 runner, LC, and Tundra the O/M states that dusty roads, stop and go, or if you tow the oil change should be 5k using their recommended oil 0w20.

Now could you go longer than 5k with this oil doing these things sure, but what’s the limit, only way to know is do an oil sample. The problem with that is not everyone is going to do that. So it’s important that service writer ask question like when a guy pulls up in a Tundra, he should ask, do you tow with this truck and if the person says yes, he should say, your O/M recommends 5k if you tow. Then he can leave it up to the owner say yes or no, but make sure they are aware instead of just saying it’s good to 10k regardless.

The problem is, it doesn’t say how much towing, or dusty driving, or how much stop and go, that is for each person to decide.

I would never use TGMO 0w20 for 10k, in fact, I wouldn’t use any off the shelf oil for 10k in any of my vehicles, regardless if I was doing those things are not, but that’s just me.

I use Mobil 1 ep, afe, and the regular Mobil 1 all the time in my 4 runners, and in my previous Tundras and LC’s but always changed it at 5k. Very seldom went over, if I did, it was only maybe 1k or so.

I just think people are wrapped up with 10k OCI and set on it, without really reading the O/M to see what it actually says because if they did read it, I bet a lot less people would go 10k and change it much sooner.
Honestly, I don’t think many people are wrapped up in the 10,000 mile oil change interval segment. I’d say it‘s 70/30 in favor of shorter intervals.

Some dealers are not adhering to 10,000 mile intervals anyway - some are now suggesting 7,500 - they are open to telling you the recommended Toyota interval is 10,000 miles using synthetic, but will suggest 5,000. With 5,000-7,500 being a happy medium.

The independent I work for now recommends 6,000 miles (up from 5,000 miles). All the techs I work with change the oil between 3,000-5,000 miles. I have NEVER seen one single tech in all my years ever do a 10,000 mile interval on their own vehicle (except me). I’m ok with 10,000 mile intervals on some engines (primarily port injection/non turbo), but even then it depends on all the criteria you mention…short trips, city, towing, hauling, dusty roads, whether you live in the salt belt blasting up and down those roads in freezing temps everyday. All this ^^^ should be accounted for. And when you do THAT, half the country does not meet the criteria of “ideal driving conditions” set forth by Toyota.

Honestly, I don’t think many people are wrapped up in the 10,000 mile oil change interval segment. I’d say it‘s 70/30 in favor of shorter intervals.

Some dealers are not adhering to 10,000 mile intervals anyway - some are now suggesting 7,500 - they are open to telling you the recommended Toyota interval is 10,000 miles using synthetic, but will suggest 5,000. With 5,000-7,500 being a happy medium.

The independent I work for now recommends 6,000 miles (up from 5,000 miles). All the techs I work with change the oil between 3,000-5,000 miles. I have NEVER seen one single tech in all my years ever do a 10,000 mile interval on their own vehicle (except me). I’m ok with 10,000 mile intervals on some engines (primarily port injection/non turbo), but even then it depends on all the criteria you mention…short trips, city, towing, hauling, dusty roads, whether you live in the salt belt blasting up and down those roads in freezing temps everyday. All this ^^^ should be accounted for. And when you do THAT, half the country does not meet the criteria of “ideal driving conditions” set forth by Toyota.
Yes, I agree. Mechanics mostly do 5k on their own vehicles.

As for 70/30, I would disagree completely you hear people on here everyday posting 10k with synthetic oil and they even say the engineers at what ever manufacturer knows more than we do. I hear this s lot. Out of all the billions of cars out there, I don’t think 70% of these people don’t event think about the oil. They just do it when the service light comes on and don’t even care.

The problem with this is, most dealerships don’t have the mechanics talking with the customers, it’s usually the clueless service writer recommending or telling people it’s a 10k interval.

My thing is still if you read the O/M it does tell you the same thing all those mechanics you are referring to, do, change it at 5k.

Last edited:
Where is your proof that it’s not? 😂😂

You can do your own research if you don’t think something is accurate. It’s not hard to know that well over the majority of Americans live in or around the city, there are more people in California then in all of Canada, at least while I lived there 12 yrs ago (you can look that up too), it’s hard to drive anywhere with out encountering stop and go. I live in the mountains of NC where the population is small and I encounter stop and go EVERYDAY! So, what do you think the percentage is? 😂😂😂

Remember, the Toyota 4Runner O/M states to change oil every 5k if you are in stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, or tow, it doesn’t state how much, so with that being said, wouldn’t that be everybody? So I guess it’s actually 100% 😂😂

I am not the one who posted the 90% figure and asked for your proof. Again, statistics can be made up or backed up! Just because the majority of the US residents live in or around an urban area not all of them drive or even own a car or vehicle. Here is a report from 2018 (I am not sure it how much it may have changed much then) about New York City drivers. Less than half own a car and only 27% commute via car, truck, or van. Do a lot of people drive in stop and go traffic? Yes. Do a lot of people NOT drive in stop and go traffic? Yes. Is it only 10% of drivers who do not? Not by any reports or studies I have tried finding.

According to recent census estimates,[1] almost 1.4 million households in New York City own a car compared to 3.1 million total households. This means 45 percent of all households in the city own a car (and almost 3 percent that own three or more!). Ownership is lowest in Manhattan, where only 22 percent of households own a car, while ownership is highest in Staten Island where cars are owned by 83 percent of all households. Queens (62 percent) is also above the city average, while the Bronx (40 percent) and Brooklyn (44 percent) look more like the city as a whole.

While almost half the households in the city own cars, fewer people use them to commute. Of the 3.8 million workers in the city, only 27 percent commute via car, truck, or van. Staten Island is the only borough where the majority of commuters (64 percent) drive, while only 8 percent of Manhattanites drive to work. Staten Island is also the only borough where more commuters drive than take the subway, but it’s close in Queens. In Queens, an even 38 percent of people drive to work, but 38.2 percent take the subway—a difference of under 3,000 people.

Link to the article https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-and-their-cars

Last edited:
I am not the one who posted the 90% figure and asked for your proof. Again, statistics can be made up or backed up! Just because the majority of the US residents live in or around an urban area not all of them drive or even own a car or vehicle. Here is a report from 2018 (I am not sure it how much it may have changed much then) about New York City drivers. Less than half own a car and only 27% commute via car, truck, or van. Do a lot of people drive in stop and go traffic? Yes. Do a lot of people NOT drive in stop and go traffic? Yes. Is it only 10% of drivers who do not? Not by any reports or studies I have tried finding.

According to recent census estimates,[1] almost 1.4 million households in New York City own a car compared to 3.1 million total households. This means 45 percent of all households in the city own a car (and almost 3 percent that own three or more!). Ownership is lowest in Manhattan, where only 22 percent of households own a car, while ownership is highest in Staten Island where cars are owned by 83 percent of all households. Queens (62 percent) is also above the city average, while the Bronx (40 percent) and Brooklyn (44 percent) look more like the city as a whole.

While almost half the households in the city own cars, fewer people use them to commute. Of the 3.8 million workers in the city, only 27 percent commute via car, truck, or van. Staten Island is the only borough where the majority of commuters (64 percent) drive, while only 8 percent of Manhattanites drive to work. Staten Island is also the only borough where more commuters drive than take the subway, but it’s close in Queens. In Queens, an even 38 percent of people drive to work, but 38.2 percent take the subway—a difference of under 3,000 people.

Link to the article https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-and-their-cars
Good job, but what is the definition of stop and go traffic? It may mean different things to many different people? Toyota doesn’t specify how much stop and go before switching from 10k to 5k. To get from point A to point B and you have to stop and go once, is that sufficient to change OCI, I guess it’s up to the individual.
I lived in Southern California for 12 yrs when I was in the military and there are a lot of cars on the road and EVERYONE there wears in Stop and go traffic everyday and that makes up 11 % of Americas population.
I also lived in Chicago for about three years while in the Navy and EVERYONE there driving was in Stop and go traffic a lot

I grew up in Atlanta and it’s the same there.

I lived in Norfolk VA and it was the same there too

I lived in Philly for a short while it was the same there too

I have been yo New York for Fleet week many times. And it was the same there too.

These are just a few of the places I have been and stop and go traffic is heavy.

So I’m comfortable day at least 90% of drivers , who drive, experience stop and go traffic. If you think they is high, please tell me where you live. 😂😂😂

I don’t know that answer. The O/M just says stop and go! It’s up to the individual to interpret what that means.

Your opinion might be different from someone else.
Exactly, but the engineers do. And they say that 10k is safe for most drivers on the road. These cars aren’t made with 100% of users towing and taxi-ing.

Exactly, but the engineers do. And they say that 10k is safe for most drivers on the road. These cars aren’t made with 100% of users towing and taxi-ing.
Taxi-ing ? Everybody does stop and go traffic, don’t they? You go from point A to point B without ever stopping? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back