0W20 at Dealership, Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealership quoted me two prices, one for full synthetic, and one a blend.
Is the dealership blowing smoke at me?.
I didnt realize there is a blend for my 2019 4runner.

What are you concerned about specifically, and what two different oils were they trying to sell you exactly? The forum members here cant assume we know what you know.

I dont presume anything. But, thw dealer has bottles and barrels that say Toyota on them. Good marketing
If you saw barrels, that's better, but I don't think any mass-market dealer (Ford, Toyota, etc) does oil changes with 1-quart bottles. Those are mostly for retail or counter sales, not shop use.

Last edited:
If you saw barrels, that's better, but I don't think any mass-market dealer (Ford, Toyota, etc) does oil changes with 1-quart bottles. Those are mostly for retail or counter sales, not shop use.
I was referring to the shop where you buy parts. And i've seen the barrels in the back in service section.
I know toyota does not make their own

I was concerned that the blend wasnt true.
As long as it meets Toyota requirements, then its okay.
Their synthetic, which is standard, is 10k mile intervals. I do 5 K mile intervals regardless.
10k interval, under normal driving conditions! The owners manual CLEARLY states if you are in a lot of stop and go ( which is 90%of people) or drive in dusty conditions (like dirt roads,or off road) or if you tow with it, oil changes SHOULD be every 5k. The service writers are clueless on this because none of them have probably never read an owners manual on the cars they recommend service on. They just say what every other idiot says and say it 10k interval. Get off the computer and read the owners manual and all your questions will be answered

The 2019 'Runner uses the 4.0L v-6 right? (1GR-FE ?)
That engine is pretty easy on oil.
No turbo heat, no DI dilution, etc.
I would think any decent API SP rated oil would suffice, regardless of base stock or vis. So either choice at the dealer would work; I'd pick the one of lesser cost.

Last edited:
10k interval, under normal driving conditions! The owners manual CLEARLY states if you are in a lot of stop and go ( which is 90%of people) or drive in dusty conditions (like dirt roads,or off road) or if you tow with it, oil changes SHOULD be every 5k. The service writers are clueless on this because none of them have probably never read an owners manual on the cars they recommend service on. They just say what every other idiot says and say it 10k interval. Get off the computer and read the owners manual and all your questions will be answered
I did read my manuals, as usual.
Only special conditioms I drive my 4runner is to amd from work, back roads 20 miles each way.
Ford and Jeep are for rest of errands.
Regardless, reading comprehension,.post 5, never stated I go 10k. All I asked was about synthetic blend available in 0w20.
So Chief (whatever type your are or were, HooYah).

LOL you will never know for sure unless you DIY.
True. I will once I can jack it up safely...The 4runners skid plate needs to come off. It hook into the frame a little. I am going to take it in to the hobby shop next oil change and take the plate off, cut the tabs that hook it. Then I can take skid plate straight off without have to jack the 4runner up high enough to get plate off, safely.. I have a 3 ton jack and with a 4x4 block I can barely get it high enough to accomplish this.
So, DIY for sure next time..

I did read my manuals, as usual.
Only special conditioms I drive my 4runner is to amd from work, back roads 20 miles each way.
Ford and Jeep are for rest of errands.
Regardless, reading comprehension,.post 5, never stated I go 10k. All I asked was about synthetic blend available in 0w20.
So Chief (whatever type your are or were, HooYah).
Navy Chief! Yes, I know you said every 5k. I was referring more to the people at the dealership all saying 10k with synthetic oil, and 5k with non synthetic. It doesn’t matter what oil you use, it’s more about driving conditions. Dealers need to start asking questions about how people use their vehicles to determine the oil change interval rather using the oil to determine it.

As others have already mentioned there are some 0W20 synthetic blends. The truth is you do not really know what they are putting in. The service advisor may have a false assumption. Only the person in charge of ordering the oil and who pumps it into the bulk tank really knows.

Could be a 5W20 bulk synthetic blend for the inexpensive oil change options.

Just like brake cleaner, rags and other fluids, oil is seen as a commodity purchased at whatever is advantageous to the dealership.

Not sure what the laws are in your state, but here North Carolina service shops are legally obligated to disclose the fluids put into vehicles. In my experience most shops seem to comply. But even then….you’re still trusting what the computer prints out. I took my car to a shop a while back for an oil change and the receipt said “BULK 5W20 MOBIL OIL.” Was it a conventional, semi syn, syn? Who knows - and I doubt even the tech knew. Maybe the tank had a Mobil sticker on it with Service Pro inside and the computer just prints out Mobil as the brand. Some shops still seem to just put “BULK 5W30 API SN” . So I am not sure if the law(s) requires brand, or just the spec of the fluid.

I’m guessing just the spec because at the end of the day that’s what matters. If I recall API did a study years ago where they took vehicles to shops and garages and tested the oil. A shocking amount of the oil tested was either an incorrect grade for the vehicle or did not meet API spec. I’m sure somebody could find the link.

Last edited:

Please post where you found that 90% of drivers are in a lot of stop and go traffic. Statistics can be made up or backed up!

Dealership quoted me two prices, one for full synthetic, and one a blend.
Is the dealership blowing smoke at me?.
I didnt realize there is a blend for my 2019 4runner.
I don't trust any new vehicle dealership Service Center, where the vehicle owner cannot watch the oil change take place. So just be aware that you may pay for full synthetic there and get syn-blend instead.

Always better to do your own oil changes, or take it to a private mechanic. Even better to just hand your private mechanic a five quart jug of oil that you picked out at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back