0W20 at Dealership, Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taxi-ing ? Everybody does stop and go traffic, donā€™t they? You go from point A to point B without ever stopping? Just curious.
By your logic, when I pull out of my garage and stop at the end of my driveway, that's "stop and go" so I automatically fall under most automaker's "severe" service schedule ? šŸ˜‚

Yes, I agree. Mechanics mostly do 5k on their own vehicles.

As for 70/30, I would disagree completely you hear people on here everyday posting 10k with synthetic oil and they even say the engineers at what ever manufacturer knows more than we do. I hear this s lot. Out of all the billions of cars out there, I donā€™t think 70% of these people donā€™t event think about the oil. They just do it when the service light comes on and donā€™t even care.

The problem with this is, most dealerships donā€™t have the mechanics talking with the customers, itā€™s usually the clueless service writer recommending or telling people itā€™s a 10k interval.

My thing is still if you read the O/M it does tell you the same thing all those mechanics you are referring to, do, change it at 5k.
I think if you did a poll on here comparing the folks that go 10,000 vs the folks that do 5,000ā€¦5,000 would be the vast majority. IMO

I think you bring up a good point though...people/customers donā€™t pay attention to it/donā€™t care. To hear they can change it at 10,000 miles is music to their ears, and those people arenā€™t checking their oil levels in between either. Then there are the people that arenā€™t going to do anything but occasionally change their oil once a year if they happen to need a repair or notice the sticker on the windshield is months past due.

By your logic, when I pull out of my garage and stop at the end of my driveway, that's "stop and go" so I automatically fall under most automaker's "severe" service schedule ? šŸ˜‚
Nope, thatā€™s not ā€œ severeā€ again the O/M doesnā€™t say ā€œ severeā€ or ā€œ excessive ā€œ itā€™s up to you to define that. Iā€™m just telling you what it says, Iā€™m not saying either way. I always do 5k except with my newest LC.

Itā€™s not what Iā€™m saying, not my logic, not my thinking. Iā€™m just saying what the O/M says, thatā€™s all. It states special conditions, not severe or excessive.

I think if you did a poll on here comparing the folks that go 10,000 vs the folks that do 5,000ā€¦5,000 would be the vast majority. IMO
The people here aren't your average people who just drive their cars. The average person doesn't study and research the approvals on the back of a bottle of oil or determine the amount of "moly" and say "not good enough". The average person gets their oil changed a) when the car annoys them long enough to do it and b) done at quick-lube places or a dealer.

Pretty sure the dealer is using the cheapest OE stuff. I wouldn't even trust them to use synthetic knowing how lube techs can be. That's why I buy my own oil and do my own changes.

If I was paying for an oil change I'd get the regular (blend) over the synthetic because a synthetic OC often costs double or even triple what a blend costs....I can buy a 5qt. jug of full synthetic for just $4 or $5 dollars more than dino (which is now a blend) and yet they charge $79, $89 even $99 for a 5qt. 0w20 SP syn. OC versus $39 for a dino 5w20 OC...

Last edited:
this right here is what made me say what Iā€™m saying.

The people working at the dealership will say if you use TGMO synthetic, you can go 10k but if you use conventional you can only go 5k.

My whole point is, itā€™s not the oil that determines the interval, itā€™s the driving conditions. Thatā€™s why I think the people working at these places need to read the O/M and understand that everyone driving Conditions is different and for the Toyota 4 runner, LC, and Tundra the O/M states that dusty roads, stop and go, or if you tow the oil change should be 5k using their recommended oil 0w20.

Now could you go longer than 5k with this oil doing these things sure, but whatā€™s the limit, only way to know is do an oil sample. The problem with that is not everyone is going to do that. So itā€™s important that service writer ask question like when a guy pulls up in a Tundra, he should ask, do you tow with this truck and if the person says yes, he should say, your O/M recommends 5k if you tow. Then he can leave it up to the owner say yes or no, but make sure they are aware instead of just saying itā€™s good to 10k regardless.

The problem is, it doesnā€™t say how much towing, or dusty driving, or how much stop and go, that is for each person to decide.

I would never use TGMO 0w20 for 10k, in fact, I wouldnā€™t use any off the shelf oil for 10k in any of my vehicles, regardless if I was doing those things are not, but thatā€™s just me.

I use Mobil 1 ep, afe, and the regular Mobil 1 all the time in my 4 runners, and in my previous Tundras and LCā€™s but always changed it at 5k. Very seldom went over, if I did, it was only maybe 1k or so.

I just think people are wrapped up with 10k OCI and set on it, without really reading the O/M to see what it actually says because if they did read it, I bet a lot less people would go 10k and change it much sooner.
The owners manual states and this is not verbatim, I have quoted it enough over the years, ā€œif the majority of your driving is in these conditions follow the severe service intervalā€. Not some of the time or sitting in traffic during your commute, and it.. it mentions car top carriers, towing, driving on rough roads( I take this is for retorting the chassis bolts and body mounts, and dusty condition's. Driving a few times off road or Doing 500 miles of towing would not constituteā€œthe majority of drivingā€.
To add to this Toyota is well aware of the driving conditions in North America and have taken that into account With their recommendations.

The owners manual states and this is not verbatim, I have quoted it enough over the years, ā€œif the majority of your driving is in these conditions follow the severe service intervalā€. Not some of the time or sitting in traffic during your commute, and it.. it mentions car top carriers, towing, driving on rough roads( I take this is for retorting the chassis bolts and body mounts, and dusty condition's. Driving a few times off road or Doing 500 miles of towing would not constituteā€œthe majority of drivingā€.
To add to this Toyota is well aware of the driving conditions in North America and have taken that into account With their recommendations.
My LC and 4 runner manuals donā€™t say anything about ā€œMajorityā€ it just states if you do it. Not trying to argue, itā€™s up for how anyone interprets it. I simply just said read the owners manual because if people read it a lot of their questions would be answered, thatā€™s all.

My LC and 4 runner manuals donā€™t say anything about ā€œMajorityā€ it just states if you do it. Not trying to argue, itā€™s up for how anyone interprets it. I simply just said read the owners manual because if people read it a lot of their questions would be answered, thatā€™s all.
Understood, I can support my statements with documentation. here is the language in the maintenance manual of 2017 Tacoma page 37.

toyota does not use severe service language they call it special operation conditions which are spelled out on page 39

to dive into stop and go driving Toyota considers extensive idling such as police service, taxi service or door to door delivery(door dash example) as special operating conditions. Heavy city traffic does not fall into this. However short trips repeatedly at below freezing temps do.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back