0w oils?

All my 5w30 is euro ford spec which is resource conserving with hths in 2.9 region. A5 B5 stuff.
The A3 B3 stuff seems to be hths 3.5+

I've taken to putting M1 Euro in everything, partially to consolidate my "stock" but also because it is stout and covers a wide temperature range. Also, being such a bargain (especially with rebates/coupons) it's a no-risk, no-brainer choice IMO.

Since these engines get hot has anyone done modifications to add oil cooler or something to cool engine more?
Take a look at the larger Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, etc engines, a lot of them do have oil coolers on them. Here's one off a B&S twin cyl.
Screenshot_2020-09-26_11-15-07.png

At a minimum, an air cooled engine should have 10W-30, preferably synthetic.
Some of us run Rotella 5W-40/15W-40 in air cooled engines.
Winter use is another matter, but 5W oil would be fine during the snow season.

My 2¢

Thats awsome does it have a fan on that rad?

I have one on my Kohler V-twin mower. There’s a duct off the main fan that provides airflow to where the radiator is mounted.

I have another mower with the same engine but without the optional oil cooler, I might have to compare oil temps between the two some day.

Is it bad to run 5w40 in these engines? The owners manual doesnt mention any 40 weight oils and skips straight to a 15w50 recommendation for constant use or hot climates?
I have an older Briggs powered Troy Bilt with a ton of hours on it. Last couple of seasons it had begun to burn a fair amount of oil. I made the switch from the recommended 5w-30 synthetic to conventional 10w-40.....along with 3 oil changes over the course of a month or so with 4 ounces of Restore added each time. It has basically stopped using oil and doesn't smoke anymore. It seems to start and run fine on the heavier oil

I use straight 30HD in my mowers. Tried 10W-30 one season and it consumed oil so I went back switched back. I use 10W-30 in my pressure washer as it's what the engine operator's manual calls for.

5w-30 ST synth. in my multiple mowers and snowblowers year round. '90's vintage motors going great. 0w-30 synth. in my stationary generac at my camp as it see's -30f weather every winter and it's gotta start to keep heat on when I'm not there. It has a oil cooler and oil is in year round, summer record high for it's location is 93f so I'm not worried about summer heat.

No, too thin and likely would increase oil consumption. Unless you are using the engine in sub-freezing temps, a 10w-30 or SAE 30 conventional oil is a good choice.

Why conventional oil being recommend for hot running air cooled engines? Wouldnt synthetic be the only choice?

Because beeing monograde it lacks VI...

Less chemistry....less oil detoriation when in use...thats why sae30 is more robust....and regarded as HDEO

ahh thats cleared things up. is there such a thing as a monograde sae30 synthetic?

ahh thats cleared things up. is there such a thing as a monograde sae30 synthetic?
I'm unsure of the truth behind it but I do see VP Racing full syn "small engine oil" branded as "SAE 30/10w-30"

Thats normal thing...it just reflects that VP synthetic monograde oil is of that quality that IF tested it can qualified also as a 10w30

Even cheap dino sae30 OPE oils would be qualified as 20w30 or 25w30 IF tested! (25W is not official saeJ300 designation...but the point taken here is that you would not get a brick of grease @-5/10' C)

Back