0W-8 is here: JASO GLV-1

It also only had 50 hp
We’re also 30 yrs ahead of times... modernization and technology we should be seeing those numbers easily especially in hybrids. What will they do when they have a constant viscosity of “0”?
The white coats will no longer be needed.

We’re also 30 yrs ahead of times... modernization and technology we should be seeing those numbers easily especially in hybrids. What will they do when they have a constant viscosity of “0”?
The white coats will no longer be needed.
Today's problem is we want power with economy. Imagine if all the cars where detuned as they where then for fuel milage.

It seems with more metal to metal contacts the piston rings would drag dramatically more, and worsen economy. But as we see 0w 8 improves economy. Interesting.
People are reporting 60 mpg easily in a Prius, and it is a much bigger car with much more added equipment than a Metro.

Three cylinder 1.0 liter engine basically powering a sub-2000 pound death trap! Not sure they were ever rated 50 MPG highway, but they could get close-but don't get in a wreck with anything bigger!
That’s the problem too many big vehicles on the roadways. Just like well I don’t have actual numbers but I’d say 90% of people don’t need their oversized vehicles. I hear guys telling their woman you’re not putting that in the bed of my truck. Please topic and discussion closed on my end.

That’s the problem too many big vehicles on the roadways. Just like well I don’t have actual numbers but I’d say 90% of people don’t need their oversized vehicles. I hear guys telling their woman you’re not putting that in the bed of my truck. Please topic and discussion closed on my end.
I think it's great that you know what everyone else "needs".

Guess you’re part of the bragger crowd
IDK what the "bragger crowd" is. Is that the crowd that buys what they want because they're the ones paying for it? The crowd I belong to is the one that owns and uses a truck for whatever I want. Whether it's hauling construction material, groceries or commuting to work.

I think it's great that you know what everyone else "needs".
Easy there. It's an issue of needs vs wants, This alleged "need" which is used to justify the purchase and that "need" almost never arises. IMO this is what OildudeNY was getting at. I have a co-worker who's the definition of the Cadillac Country with his uber expensive pickup yet the only thing he has ever put the bed was a Big Green Egg and he hated driving the thing downtown. He doesn't need the pickup but wants his family and old friends to know he hasn't gone full "city slicker". Needs vs wants.

Last edited:
Mileage in engines has hardly improved since the 3.8 GM engine in 1986 using fuel injection . To me the guys designing engines have done little since then as far as improving much . Piss thin oil ?....yeah that will fix it.

I think 0W8 is being developed by a company or employees who are trying to justify their existence.
I agree...mostly.

With many countries banning the sale of new ICE and EVs becoming more commonplace, do we really need to spend money and resources developing ever thinner oils chasing a vanishingly small improvemtn in CAFE?

Imagine if a Metro was retrofitted with a new 1 liter 3 cylinder and CVT. Efficiency would be crazy good.
All the new safety advancements and requirements add a bunch of weight that lower mileage quite a bit.

I'm going to wait for 0W-4. It's no doubt just around the corner. And I'm sure I'll get at least another .000004 MPG. Now, if I could only come up with a vacuum crankcase, so all of those air molecules wouldn't be banging into the connecting rods and crank, causing so much rotational resistance.

Now, if I could only come up with a vacuum crankcase, so all of those air molecules wouldn't be banging into the connecting rods and crank, causing so much rotational resistance.
Racers evacuate the crankcase all the time for more HP (less friction and pumping loss).

Back