0w-50 M1 :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a report of a sighting of M1 in a 0w-50 in a Checkers in or near Cottonwood, AZ. XM's site doesn't have a document on it ..and it's not at my local AA or PepBoys or WallyWorld.

These people Bulltear
are allegedly going to offer a 0w-50 and they say the source will be from Exxon-Mobil.

Any verification of this? I tried the search ..but puting 0w-50 also gets you 20w-50 ..after 2 dozen scans ..I gave up.

Mobil makes a 5w-50 in Europe for the Mercedes 650 HP V12. I havn't seen a 0w-50. Check out this LINK -M1 5w-50

[ October 17, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Super Autobacs in Stanton, CA (Orange County), about $50 for a 4-liter metal can.

Most expensive oil change? The TRD or HKS oils also in 4-liter metal cans for $80-$135 each. It would take some heavy donations to use it and do VOA/UOA on those, all print is in Japanese so noone is sure what is in it, other than it makes "super turbo fantastic power hurray!".

-JamesW
94 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3L DOHC

quote:

all print is in Japanese so noone is sure what is in it, other than it makes "super turbo fantastic power hurray!".

lol.gif

I love how the Asian language doesn't always translate over to english correctly. For instance, I'll see some Chinese Restaurants like "Happy Fish" or some platter called "Happy Brook Scallaps". Makes no friggin sense.

I want a VOA of that oil!

5w-50 is the most common grade of Mobil-1 sold here in Oz. Should in K-mart etc as well as auto shops. The other grades are a little harder to come by (I've only seen this grade of M1 in K-Mart) and are higher priced.

That's odd that in most places in the world the common weight of oil is Xw-40 or Xw-50, and in the US we tend to look at the "universal" as 10w-30. Are US manufacturers using figures like "marketing horsepower ratings" and EPA fuel mileage numbers to dictate oil weights, while non-US markets focus on drain intervals, wear and engine longevity?

Japan apparently only likes to make happy turbo nitro super funny power oils, but in thick weights :p

EDIT-- next time I'm in Orange County I will take a digital camera to Autobacs and see if they will let me photograph their entire "Specialty Lubricants" lineup...they have some crazy stuff!

-JamesW

quote:

all print is in Japanese so noone is sure what is in it, other than it makes "super turbo fantastic power hurray!".

lol.gif

I love how the Asian language doesn't always translate over to english correctly. For instance, I'll see some Chinese Restaurants like "Happy Fish" or some platter called "Happy Brook Scallaps". Makes no friggin sense.

Do you remember the slogan "Coke adds life"???

It too didn't translate well.

(allegedly)
Japanese: Coke will allow you to talk with your ancestors from beyond the grave.

They apparently got it right in the latin languages. They substituted "Coke adds the "spark" in life" in Argentina.

quote:

That's odd that in most places in the world the common weight of oil is Xw-40 or Xw-50, and in the US we tend to look at the "universal" as 10w-30. Are US manufacturers using figures like "marketing horsepower ratings" and EPA fuel mileage numbers to dictate oil weights, while non-US markets focus on drain intervals, wear and engine longevity?

One visiting German commented that our vehicles were "retarded" ..not necessarily in a "lame" way ..but in that the Euros tend to adopt the latest advancements immediately ..(or very quickly anyway) ..while we tend to take a decade to fully evolve. If pinhole lighting is the best ..the Euros have it next year ...we'll have to filter it through a few dozen commitees before seeing it in the public view.

I'd say that the rest of the world uses what works "best" ..while our markets first determine what is "best for us" in their minds (whomever "they" are).

I find it interesting that places where gasoline is priced highest use the heavy vis oils. You would think that fuel economy (via low vis) would be a big factor in oil choice where they are paying 5 USD/ gallon for gas.

Different Tax Structure!

USA:

1. Sales Tax - fixed percentage of vehicle cost

2. CAFE Fleet wide penalty on every vehicle if entire fleet fails to average a certain mileage. Applies to large manufactures only.

3. Gas Guzzler Tax for light vehicles that get very poor mileage.

4. Cheap Gas

Worldwide

1. In general you have a VAT (Value Added Tax) that is close to our sales tax.

2. Tax structure based on displacement. Taxes may be as high as 50% on 1.0 Liter and 300% on 3.0 Liter Cars in some places.

3. Heavily taxed fuel. Makes fuel expensive.

The end result of this is Americans tend to buy bigger vehicles with the bigger engines offered. The rest of the world tends to buy the smaller vehicles with the smaller engines offered. This tends to minimize the difference in actual fuel costs. The low-rolling resistance tires and low viscosity fluids are a result of trying to avoid CAFE penalties and Gas Guzzler Tax. Otherwise they have to downsize vehicles and engines in the US. This has proven to be suicide in the US Market!

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Solo2driver:
Super Autobacs in Stanton, CA (Orange County), about $50 for a 4-liter metal can.

Most expensive oil change? The TRD or HKS oils also in 4-liter metal cans for $80-$135 each. It would take some heavy donations to use it and do VOA/UOA on those, all print is in Japanese so noone is sure what is in it, other than it makes "super turbo fantastic power hurray!".

-JamesW
94 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3L DOHC

Does anyone knows who makes the oil for HKS? I can't find the specs anywhere
mad.gif

Here's what my in-house Japanese native gets from the HKS site:

Premium Pro 0W-20/20W-60

hyper ester base oil
amazingly low friction
non-polymer --> doesn't shear
focused on "super pressure system/characteristic"
You can mix 0W-20 and 20W-60 to get the grade you want (see chart)

Super Premium Racing 15W-60, 10W-50, 5W-40, 0W-30

hyper ester base oil
amazingly low friction
resists heat and oxidation
cleans and resists moisture
non-polymer

Super Turbo Racing 15W-50

non-polymer for high heat turbo application
100% synthetic
SL/CF
At high boost it mainatains the oil film in the turbo and in the engine

Super Turbo Racing Special 5W-50

For lightly-tuned turbo engines.
long-lasting lubrication, cleans
Works espcially well in smaller displacement engines
100% synthetic
SL/CF

Super NA Racing 5W-40

For "severe" normally aspirated engines/non-to fully tuned engines
low-friction oil
high RPM and heat protetction
contains organic moly
100% synthetic
SL/CF

Super RE Racing 10W-40

for rotary engine that requires clean burning oil/ low ash
high RPM and heat resistent
enables high compression
100% synthetic
non-polymer
SL

Super Multi Racing Special 10W-40

wide visosity range for application in many engines
resistant to heat
prevents sludge
for turbo and NA engines
semi-synthetic
SL/CF

Super SS 10W-30

oil for low mileage, low emissions engines.
mineral oil
SL/CF

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Here's what my in-house Japanese native gets from the HKS site:

All hail Mr and Mrs Moribundman!
worshippy.gif

Now, without actual specs, I wonder if these oils are worthed using
grin.gif

Using babelfish, this is what I get :

"
You adopt the new development based oil "hyper ester" which is not to other companies, actualizing wonderful frictional decrease characteristic thermal stability oxidation stability. In addition the hydrolysis stability where the alkyl naphthalene of new combination is high and the alkaline survivability hot stability pure characteristic water resistance where サリチレート is superior were guaranteed. Because of this, improvement of further durability and decrease of friction loss were made possible in comparison with the former HKS oil series.

- There is no viscosity change with shearing, by the fact that it makes all グレードノンポリマータイプ, in under whatever working condition it maintains viscosity and the oil film which always are stabilized.

- Because the wide grade is set, the tuning user of course from the general car in the import user corresponds to all needs to reaching.
* Hyper ester: It is the based oil which HKS developed anew as an ester for the automobile. Although on the basis of the plant characteristic ester which has very high lubricating efficiency, to build up tough molecular bond, being ローフリクション, it guarantees the tough oil film.

* Alkyl naphthalene: It is the tough ester additive which was combined anew in super premium racing, is superior in hot oxidation stability. It is superior in hydrolysis stability thermal stability oxidation stability.

* サリチレート: With alkyl naphthalene it is the frictional decrease medicine which is superior in the hot stability which is combined anew. Frictional decrease characteristic other things, high ability is guaranteed in the alkaline survivability hot stability pure characteristic water resistance.

Furthermore, it became possible to create the oil of the viscosity which is agreeable to the intended purpose of the user by the fact that it blends. The mixed viscosity chart the viscosity which you like by the fact that mixed ratio is changed into reference can be set.
From now on, into the times when empty oil "is chosen" oil "is set"..."

Wow...so little info for a US$130 oil
rolleyes.gif

I was reading an article on the Ford GT. On the oil cap it has the same "Ford Oil Symbol" and "Use Motorcraft 5w-50"

Cool huh.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back