0w-20 Oil for my Subarus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: icepickjazz
Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
Originally Posted By: Barley

Mazda 0w-20 GF-5 w/ Moly - $6.25/qt

At that price, it's a steal. I have yet to see that price on that oil.

Yeah, I would like to find it a that price for my Mazda CX-5

The parts guy at the dealer told me his cost is $5.25/qt. He said he keeps a couple of cases around just in case, but he doesn't ever seem to sell any. He said I could have anywhere from 1 to 3.5 cases at that price.

Is Moly more important for newer engines? Does the Mazda have the highest Moly out of all the choices I listed?

Is Moly more important for newer engines? Does the Mazda have the highest Moly out of all the choices I listed?

Good question.

A short time ago, Idemitsu told another bitoger via email that they were reducing moly in OEM oils (dealer/service fill, not factory fill) in order to meet GF5. The early SM/GF4 Subaru oil had a nice shot of moly and was highly sought after for a while. A lot of people like moly for its plating/clinging effect on engine internals. High moly oils like Red Line or Motul 300V produces much quicker starts in my experience. The Mazda oil does have the highest from your list. The Subaru SM oil may have high moly, but some of the recent uoa's/voa's have shown lower levels.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Mobil 1 afe would be the way to go.

Top notch product.
thumbsup2.gif

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

+2....I'm using M-1 0w20 year-round....with 7500 OCI's, and am very pleased with the results.

Might I suggest a Fram 'ULTRA' filter (considered by many here a a top-notch long OC filter and reasonably priced)... which has a 15k usage....which you can do two OC on each filter. That filter is easily available at WalMart ($8.97), as well as Amazon.

I really, really wish people would stop recommending oil filters that do not meet Subaru's specifications. OEM and the 57830 WIX/NAPA Gold are the only filters that have the proper bypass specification.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I really, really wish people would stop recommending oil filters that do not meet Subaru's specifications. OEM and the 57830 WIX/NAPA Gold are the only filters that have the proper bypass specification.

Ed

last i checked this only matters under very specific circumstances. i dug through that bazillion page thread on this forum and came to the conclusion that it does not matter unless you are an idiot and do not change your oil at the correct OCI. my MIL's 1999 subaru is running just fine on a [censored] napa silver after a rebuild with no issues. before that i believe it had a steady diet of fram.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Good question.

A short time ago, Idemitsu told another bitoger via email that they were reducing moly in OEM oils (dealer/service fill, not factory fill) in order to meet GF5. The early SM/GF4 Subaru oil had a nice shot of moly and was highly sought after for a while. A lot of people like moly for its plating/clinging effect on engine internals. High moly oils like Red Line or Motul 300V produces much quicker starts in my experience. The Mazda oil does have the highest from your list. The Subaru SM oil may have high moly, but some of the recent uoa's/voa's have shown lower levels.

-Dennis

The only reason they put a lot of Moly in some thin oils like the 0 or 5 /20's is to offer increased protection to the bearings when hot. It does not make much difference in cold start wear terms when Zinc helps more, but it is a good anti wear add pack content for higher oil temps, hence race oils contain a lot.
Quite a number of new G4 full synthetics don't contain Moly, so it is not essential if the base stock and other AW compounds are good enough. Normal oil has between 50 and 200 ppm, but manufacturers that are worried about 20 grades shearing towards the end of an OCI will add similar levels of cheap Moly to that found in Redline oil which is around 700ppm.
Moly shows up well in a UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 is outstanding in my Duratechs. I do 10K OCIs and use this oil year round as it is very suitable in extreme temps in the summer. We had the hottest summer on record here, with many days between 100-109 and the 0-20 performed without a hitch.

Why not put this ^^^^^ in your sig?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 is outstanding in my Duratechs. I do 10K OCIs and use this oil year round as it is very suitable in extreme temps in the summer. We had the hottest summer on record here, with many days between 100-109 and the 0-20 performed without a hitch.

Why not put this ^^^^^ in your sig?
smile.gif

New OP ask for help with his Subie calling for 0-20. This is mine. How are you helping this new member? That's what I thought.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Another vote for the Mobil AFE 0W-20, did very well in my Mazda6 3.7L nice and quiet and the engine seemed smoother when revving although the fill before that was Mobil 5000 5W-20. I'm now using QSUD 0W-20 since it's less expensive [$20.97 5qt] and easily obtained from my local walmart, very little difference noise/smoothness wise and i use the $4 saved on beer
smile.gif
or a filter. If the price on Mobil AFE 0W-20 is good a my local O'Reilly's I'll use it, however, at the regular price of the 5-quart AFE jugs at walmart, about $25, I'd rather spring the extra $2 and get PU 5W-20 for $27 for 5qt.

I'm not certain what AFE means but, in my area the least expensive 0W20 Mobil 1 place is Walmart @ $6.97 p/quart

Originally Posted By: q12
I'm not certain what AFE means but, in my area the least expensive 0W20 Mobil 1 place is Walmart @ $6.97 p/quart

AFE = Advanced Fuel Economy

I was looking on Amazon for oil and some people say that Subaru oil is Idemitsu oil.
I see couple different once.
1. Idemitsu ZEPRO Eco Medalist Advanced Moly
2. Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20 Engine Oil SN/GF-5
3. ZEPRO Eco Medalist Dexos2

They are all around %20-$21. I'm wondering which one would be better. Can I use different oil at different oil changes?

I have used mostly Liqui Moly for my B8.5 Allroad but wondering if it is an overkill for 2018 Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back