0W-20 for Texas winters/summers good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

Castrol 0/40. More like a 5/35 weight.

No, more like a 0w-40, because it's a 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: nap
Let’s hear it from wemay, an opinion on 0W in Florida may be interesting.

It actually doesn't get all that hot in Florida. Humid, yes.

Thin is in.

The difference between 0w-20 and 5w-20 is negligible overall in a climate that rarely even sees below freezing temps.

I use whichever is cheaper, and with all the clearance oils I have, I have a stash of both 0w-20 and 5w-20.
I plan on using the 0w-20 in the Scion and the 5w-20 in the truck. Why, no reason in particular, just decided to do it that way.

I was a skeptic of xw-20 till I did a few UOA in my '05 Grand Caravan with the 3.8.
I had a trip to Oklahoma one summer with the temps in the 105-108° range and pulling a little pop-up camper. About 1000 miles at highway speeds (which means 75+ MPH).
The UOA for that (~5000 miles and I believe Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20) came back just fine, and could have stayed in use another 2500 miles easily.

Now with a turbo engine, I may have a hard time making myself do a longer OCI with xw-20.

That explains why on some days it feels like your walking around with warm damp blanket.

Shannow,
Wow, double whammy for you guys. My sister lives near Phoenix and they get something similar but only extreme on the hot side. We get actual heat readouts plus what the Meteorologists call heat index, or "feels like" temps do the humidity. It could be 86f but feel like 96f. Some folks can't bear it, understandably. PimTac's post exactly.

I should google what effects humidity has on oil out of curiosity.

In Canada many reporting stations pretty much report the temps with the wind chill effect factored.
No idea why, but many people take that as the actual temperature.

Southern Ontario doesn't get all that cold during winter, but many car enthusiasts are always worried about cold starts because they always hear that it's -20c (-4f) or -30c (-22f) on the radio. In reality it's more like -10c (10f) average.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
In Canada many reporting stations pretty much report the temps with the wind chill effect factored.
No idea why, but many people take that as the actual temperature.

Southern Ontario doesn't get all that cold during winter, but many car enthusiasts are always worried about cold starts because they always hear that it's -20c (-4f) or -30c (-22f) on the radio. In reality it's more like -10c (10f) average.

It seems to be the norm now. A lot of people take the “feels like” number and use that as the actual temperature. Smartphone apps tell it as well.

Some interesting stuff about humid air. One would expect that humidity improves air's cooling capabilities as now it contains water which has a higher thermal capacity. Well, not really:

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2003/11/the-thermal-conductivity-of-moist-air/

The guy who wrote this article doesn't understand heat at all. There are three methods of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation.

Air is practically a thermal insulator or notoriously bad thermal conductor. Having a double wall with an air gap practically provides full insulation because air practically does not conduct heat. Double wall prevents convection and air virtually doesn't conduct heat and you have nearly full insulation as a result. So, it's a moot issue what the humidity contributes to air's negligible heat conductivity.

Electronics cooling is achieved by radiation (just the heat sink) or convection (forced air with a fan) but not with heat conduction through air. With convection, heat capacity, not conductivity, plays a role. With radiation, it's just a Blackbody and neither play a role.

Yeah right, have you even bothered to google for the author’s credentials? He retired as Principal Scientist at Philips after a career focused on thermal management of electronic systems.

Yeah right, have you even bothered to google for the author’s credentials? He retired as Principal Scientist at Philips after a career focused on thermal management of electronic systems.

It's good for him. In that case we are talking about your lack of understanding. The fact remains that the effects of air's heat conductivity are insignificant, as the air convection and heat radiation are the primary mechanisms in electronic cooling and air conduction hardly plays a role. You need to understand that part first before you imagine the insignificant effects as being significant.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

It's good for him. In that case we are talking about your lack of understanding. The fact remains that the effects of air's heat conductivity are insignificant, as the air convection and heat radiation are the primary mechanisms in electronic cooling and air conduction hardly plays a role. You need to understand that part first before you imagine the insignificant effects as being significant.

With the risk of being called out again on "replying to" myself, as opposed to quoting myself, here is the bottom line on this:

As I said the air is practically an insulator and the air slab between the electronics component and ambient doesn't really conduct heat. However, the question still remains to what happens to the thermal resistance at the junction of the air and heat sink. Does the thermal resistance at the junction, which is the most critical factor for electronics cooling, decrease with the humidity?

It turns out that the answer is yes, and it does decrease substantially with the humidity. The reason is what I already explained to you -- this thermal resistance is dictated by the air convection, not air conduction, and air convection is improved with higher heat capacity of the humid air. Therefore, humid air substantially cools better as most would know from common sense -- stand with your face against a cold dry wind versus a cold humid wind.

The influence of air humidity on effectiveness of heat-sink work

Be careful to not dislodge a clot or something. Have you taken your blood pressure recently?

Proven wrong as usual. Refuse to understand and educate yourself. Then the nasty vitriolic trolling begins.

Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back