09 toyota matrix questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys my local honda dealer has a used 09 Toyota matrix manual transmission that I'm interested in. After doing some research it seems that the matrix is plauged with manual transmission problems. Does anyone know if the bearing issue was limited to the 1.8 matrix or did both engines have the same transmission? Thanks.

I don't have any information on the tranny issue(s) you speak of, Sorry! But, certainly a nice combo of engine & tranny and I can understand your interest. Typically, the Matrix has been a good reliable vehicle for Toyota and a quite usable vehicle. I am sure that the engine/tranny combo is similar to the Corolla S & Scion tC and I have heard of any issues.

Hope others chime in with good news instead of bad as this vehicle, engine/tranny combo sounds like quite a treat!
smile.gif

If it's a nice vehicle, I mean hey, anything can be fixed, RIGHT?

How many miles on the Matrix?
FWD or AWD?
205-55-16 or 215-45-17?

Last edited:
I think there is one guy who had a transmission failure at 98,000 miles who has absolutely flooded the internet with his sob story making it appear like a common problem. I don't really care to learn more about it, I'm not even sure what bearing it was (throwout bearing, pilot bearing) or if it was the 1.8 or 2.4.

Anyway my father has one, I believe it had the ECU replaced by the dealer but is otherwise been a good car at about 12 years and 150,000 miles. Not at all fun to drive but the manual and 2.4 would certainly help in that regard.

I'd be more worried about the condition of the car and pre existing problems than worried about a guy and his bearing. Original glass? Clean underneath? Body Repairs? Even tire wear? These are the questions I would have.

It's fwd with 120,000. It's priced right for the mileage though. If I do get it, it will be to travel in for work. The hatch will allow me to take my rigid mini gangbox. I figured the 2.4 reliability mixed with manual Trans reliability will give me trouble free transportation well past 200k.

I know at least 3 people that had the issue, My brother, a coworker and another friend. All had the 1.8L. I frequent Toyota Nation, the issue still exists even to 2013 models, as there are more reports on that forum, but since I don't know them personally I can't vouch, but they all have the 1.8L as well.

Hope this helps.

Oops, the older XRS models with the VVT 1.8L had the 6 spd and I assumed they kept the 6 spd when they went with the 2.4L XRS, but I guess not.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Do you think the 1.8 and 2.4 had the same 5 speed? If so I'm probably gonna stay away from this car.

I don't know, the 2.4L was the Camry motor based on different engine than the 1.8L, so it might be a Camry trans too. Probably a Matrix forum would have that level of detail, wikipedia doesn't atleast.

I don't know about the transmission, but the 09 Matrix is also one of the years the 2.4l 2az-fe had consumption issues. My understanding, combination of short trips and infrequent oil changes = coked rings, same issue as Scions and Troopers in the past. The oil issue has been discussed and reported widely here, toyotanation, elsewhere.

So verifying oc history and usage history is critical, and worth avoiding if you are going to do lots of short trips in humid weather (aka, "Florida").

There is a class-action law suit about it now:

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settl...umption-defect/

There are generally more transmission problems with the Honda automatics than the Toyota's (generally speaking), fyi.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
There are generally more transmission problems with the Honda automatics than the Toyota's (generally speaking), fyi.

Correct, but the discussion here is on MT.

First time I've heard of any issues with Toyota manuals.

My family has a 1.8L Corolla with a manual, it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but I am not worried about it. There is a lot of these cars on the road. If it was a common failure I would think we would hear about it more often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back