09 Polaris engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 09 Polaris ranger. I'm planning to use Mobil 1 15W50 engine oil. Is this an acceptable option? Anyone had experience with this weight in late model Polaris engines? If so, results?

Polaris specs. PS4 Plus, 2w50. I do not find any other oil with that spec. so I will use the Polaris oil. 15 weight oil is too thick. Only holds 2 qts of oil so you won't save much over using the genuine Polaris oil.

I think you would be fine. I always use another oil in my machines,ATVs,motorbike, & snowmobile. They give you such an oddball spec with that 2w-50, just to throw you off I think.

Since you are in AL, your using it on the warm side I would think.
I also have another technique that may not be approved at BITO-guy headquarters. That would be blended oil of the same type. In your instance you could put in a quart of 15w-50 & another of 10w-40,or even 5w-30. They would both be the same oil, Mobile One or whatever with the mix depending on your quantity. You would want to factor in how you drive & expected temps.

They call for the wide viscosity range because atv's can be used anywhere from cold arctic climates to hot desert heat. If your not at one extreme or the other you'd be fine choosing a more specific oil for your temps. 15w50 would be fine in a moderate climate.

Polaris oil 0W-50. Not sure what the 2W-50 was about, they changed it now.

Any way this oil is terrible.

I have a polaris FST snowmobile and this oil picks up too much fuel and stinks like gas.

On the FST there is a cyclone separator and the 0W-50 oil is too heavy for it to work effectively.

I switched to Mobil Delvac 1 0W-40 it seems good so far.

Last edited:
I don't think the Polaris oil has anything to do with smelling like gas. You have a problem if fuel is getting into your oil. This will be a problem with any oil. You should find the problem and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back