'09 Honda Pilot- change FF at 1k or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAK

Hi all,

I am the lucky owner of an '09 Pilot that has about 500 miles on it right now. I am a believer in changing the factory fill at 1k miles (I would be replacing the factory fill with GTX 5/20 or Havoline). There seems to be some info out there related to a "special" Honda factory fill oil.

Will I be hurting the engine if I change the oil at 1k?

Thanks,

Carl

You won't hurt anything by doing that, but I'd leave the FF in closer to 3k miles. Honda FF DOES have a LOT of Moly and Boron in it, which would seem to be good to the engine.

But, do whatever helps you sleep at night....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You won't hurt anything by doing that, but I'd leave the FF in closer to 3k miles. Honda FF DOES have a LOT of Moly and Boron in it, which would seem to be good to the engine.

But, do whatever helps you sleep at night....

+1
I'd leave it in for 3000 miles.

I would, one oil change at 1000 miles and another oil change at 3000 miles. That's what I did on a different vehicle.

I would follow the owner's manual and change the FF when the OLM goes down to 15%. I would than use GTX/Havoline for a few, short OCI's (2.5k miles), followed by oil of your choice at reasonable intervals. We have a '06 Pilot EX 4WD in the family.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I would follow the owner's manual and change the FF when the OLM goes down to 15%. I would than use GTX/Havoline for a few, short OCI's (2.5k miles), followed by oil of your choice at reasonable intervals. We have a '06 Pilot EX 4WD in the family.

+1, under the break-in section of the manual it specifically states not to change the oil until the scheduled/OLM requested maintenance.

I'm old school, and even I would leave the Honda fluid in for the duration. They take pride in what they put in there, unlike some unnamed others, and then stick with what they recommend for their scheduled intervals.
Hard to argue with the UOA forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back