08 Pilot, cleaned throttle body, now P0108

Status
Not open for further replies.
went to clean the throttle body today on a new to me 08 Honda Pilot 166,000 miles, SE, AWD. After I cleaned it and the air box, I went ahead and took a look at one of the transmission solenoids as I'd read on here the little metal screens get clogged and need to be cleaned. I'm halfway there disassembly wise so I went ahead. I found a little build up but not bad for 167,000 miles. I put it all back together and went to take it for a test drive and I was sick to my stomach. The trans was shifting hard and shuttering between what I think is 2-3 and 3-4th gear. I had a CEL pop on immediately after starting the vehicle before even leaving. It has the yellow triangle and engine emblem illuminated as well as the "VTM-4 VSA". A code scan showed P0108. So I double checked and found I had left the MAP sensor cable disconnected. That connection fixed the shudder and cleared the dash lights except the engine icon. I then used MAF sensor cleaner to clean the MAP sensor.

Well, the vehicle runs fine now, except the engine CEL is still illuminated and it seems my code reader will not clear the code. I don't know if the vehicle is preventing the code from being cleared or just what. It doesn't even go off for a second when I attempt to clear it.

So, Same code, car runs fine, CEL still on. I'm unsure of what to do next. Can I use a multi meter to test the MAP sensor?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Try leaving the battery disconnected overnight. May or may not clear the CEL, but it's free so it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the reply. I do like free! Lol.

I can easily do that.

Is there a way to test my MAP sensor ?

Last edited:
Try pulling the battery for an hour or so. Then reconnect - start the engine and do the idle and crank pattern relearn:

Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
Test-drive the vehicle on a level road: Decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 2,500 rpm down to 1,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
Repeat step 2 several times.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 30 seconds .

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies folks. I was able to clear the code. Now we shall see if it comes back.

Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion
Thanks for the quick replies folks. I was able to clear the code. Now we shall see if it comes back.

How did you clear the code?

I read online that if you cycle the key three times quickly it'll clear it. Now, I thought that worked but it was also the third time I had turned it in after two test drives so the vehicle may have sensed the issue was gone and cleared it. I don't know how that all works but it's cleared for now and the vehicle appears to be running well. I'll report back if the CEL returns. Thank you.

I think it's called a "drive cycle" that the computer (ecu) will finally clear a check engine light (CEL). I think Honda's are 2-3 drive cycles to clear a CEL. Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back