'08 Ford V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a m/h on a F53 chassis(24k GVRW) and the oil filter is just to small for (me). I know it works but I like big oil filters like what was on my KW. I can't find a larger one that will fit the threads on the Ford so I will have to get an adapter. I have used ones like this on my bikes to run larger filters
http://balestech.com/filter.htm

and on my GM truck I used a thread adapter that took the stock M22 X 1.5 and it changed it to 3/4" thread. It just went over the stock nipple to change the thread.

Has anyone done this to there Ford V10?

I have more than enough room for a 2 QT oil filter and the extra 1 1/2 Qt's of oil would run cooler and should last longer.

ROD

The FL-820S and equivalents are more than adequate for the V-10. I might be inclined to throw on a larger filter if there was one readily available that was a direct replacement, but I certainly wouldn't go out and buy an adapter for it.

I use the Motorcraft FL-820S on a 2003 F53 with the V-10 (and I pull a Town and Country with it as well), and don't lose a bit of sleep over any of it.

I have a cousin who is dumping thousands of dollars into his chassis, trying to improve everything with his, and I doubt it has made much difference at all.

Put an AMSOIL bypass filter on it and use their EAO26 (15 micron) for the full flow and you have a choice of an EABP90, EABP100, EABP110, or EABP120 (2 micron). Depending on the filter housing location will determine the size of the EABP filter.
Just for reference the EAO26 and the EABP90 each hold an extra quart of oil. The EABP100 - EABP120 will hold a lot more oil.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The FL-820S and equivalents are more than adequate for the V-10. I might be inclined to throw on a larger filter if there was one readily available that was a direct replacement, but I certainly wouldn't go out and buy an adapter for it.

+100000

It is not uncommon for this engine to be in service for more than 200,000 miles and 10 years of service with the 820S spin on filter.

I would not be concerned about the size of the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I have a m/h on a F53 chassis(24k GVRW) and the oil filter is just to small for (me). I know it works but I like big oil filters ...

Here is a correct statement; he's well aware that there's nothing wrong with the filter, but he wants a different one. (Note that wants do not equal needs ...)

That being realized, use whatever you want, however you want. Since there's no rational reason to do so, there is no "wrong" answer to the question. As long as you're OK with wasting money, perhaps a lot of money, then go for it!

The multiple recommendations for bypass filtration may or may not have any sensible payback, depending upon your OCI plan. They will NOT extend the lifecycle of the engine; that is a fallacy based upon mythology and total misunderstanding of a very old filter study. They will extend the lifecycle of the OCI, but only if you allow it to happen. Hence, these are a fiscal tool and not an engine tool.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
They will NOT extend the lifecycle of the engine; that is a fallacy based upon mythology and total misunderstanding of a very old filter study. They will extend the lifecycle of the OCI, but only if you allow it to happen. Hence, these are a fiscal tool and not an engine tool.

Bypass filtration systems keep the oil cleaner - less dirt, soot, and wear metals from circulating through the engine... How does this not extend the life of an engine?

I don't use one myself, but it would seem logical that if a bypass filtration system does indeed keep more contaminants from circulating through the engine, that it would thus help to cause less wear from even occurring.

Now, I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just saying I don't understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate on this?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
They will NOT extend the lifecycle of the engine; that is a fallacy based upon mythology and total misunderstanding of a very old filter study. They will extend the lifecycle of the OCI, but only if you allow it to happen. Hence, these are a fiscal tool and not an engine tool.

Bypass filtration systems keep the oil cleaner - less dirt, soot, and wear metals from circulating through the engine... How does this not extend the life of an engine?

If you search the internet you can find many study reports and lubrication experts that all say the cleaner the oil is the less wear there will be to the engine or machinery. How can everyone be wrong?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

If you search the internet you can find many study reports and lubrication experts that all say the cleaner the oil is the less wear there will be to the engine or machinery. How can everyone be wrong?

Exactly. Thanks ZeeOSix, I was hoping my common sense wasn't broken
wink.gif

What Dave is saying, if I may, is that wear is more inconsequential than many of us like to think. Sure, perfect filtration can reduce wear. Considering that engine wear isn't what usually ends a vehicle's life cycle, we don't need to obsess over the most efficient filtration.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What Dave is saying, if I may, is that wear is more inconsequential than many of us like to think. Sure, perfect filtration can reduce wear. Considering that engine wear isn't what usually ends a vehicle's life cycle, we don't need to obsess over the most efficient filtration.

+1, Rust is killing my truck much faster than any reasonably filtered oil will.

Whimsey

Last edited:

If that's the case, then he's in the wrong forum
wink.gif

Gotta remember you're talking to enthusiasts here (bordering on the edge of fanatics)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

wink.gif

Gotta remember you're talking to enthusiasts here (bordering on the edge of fanatics)

I thought it was fanatics bordering on crazy?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

wink.gif

I thought it was fanatics bordering on crazy?

Lol, this site is getting there. Slowly but surely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back