08 CR-V and PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and just completed my second oil change by following Honda's maintenance minder. The maintenance minder system is giving me oil change intervals of around 9,800 miles. Will Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 hold up to these longer intervals or should I look into Mobil 1 EP??

I really don't mind spending a little extra for M1, but if PP will do just as good a job for less $$$$, then I'm all for it!

BTW this is my first post and I would like to say there is a lot of interesting info in here!

Honda oil monitor system is calibrated for dino, if you like extra engine protection then PP 5W20 or Valvoline Synpower 5W20 will more than capable. If you like extra margin above PP or Synpower then M1 EP 5W20 is the one.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I have a 2008 Honda CR-V and just completed my second oil change by following Honda's maintenance minder. The maintenance minder system is giving me oil change intervals of around 9,800 miles. Will Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 hold up to these longer intervals or should I look into Mobil 1 EP??

I really don't mind spending a little extra for M1, but if PP will do just as good a job for less $$$$, then I'm all for it!

BTW this is my first post and I would like to say there is a lot of interesting info in here!

Welcome from another CR-V owner. That engine will run on grape nuts and milk. Pennzoil Platinum will be just fine with the maintenance minder. As was said previously, it was designed for dino, so you will be fine with synth.

With intervals that high it looks like you do alot of freeway drving. Very easy on engine oil...PP or any other synthetic will fit just fine. After warrenty is up do a uoa to see how those intervals are holding up.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

With intervals that high it looks like you do alot of freeway drving. Very easy on engine oil...PP or any other synthetic will fit just fine. After warrenty is up do a uoa to see how those intervals are holding up.

That's just the thing....my wife drives the vehicle to and from work, which is approximately 8-10 miles one way. There are only 2-3 miles each way that I would consider "freeway" driving. The rest would not be considered stop and go but definately highway.

I was always a 3,000 mile oil change guy and I guess I'm having a hard time trusting the longer oil change intervals.

Trust your maintenance minder, they're accurate. Your oil will not be "used up" if you follow the MM and use a good synthetic oil including PP.

Check the oil analysis section of this forum.

Trust the MM with any quality oil. I cheat a bit change at 7500, (that's 20~30% left), but there's no reed for an extended use oil even at 9800.

The MM is calibrated for what Honda uses as oil, which is similar to Mobil 5000. You're already exceeding what's required with PP.

+1 for taking a look at the UOA section of this website. Search for Honda and half of them are the 2.4 I4.

Last edited:

9800! wow I'm impressed. My Toyota Rav4 light comes on religiously at 5K

My Honda got 5500 @ 15%... not sure what 0% would have been but I doubt 9800. Your numbers are impressive. At that long of an interval I personally would choose a synthetic.

PP should definitely go the distance and give you better margin over conventional oil. I think the Maintenance Minder is adequate but definitely not calibrated for absolute minimal engine wear. While you're searching UOA's you'll find a few examples of folks that have used their MM and Honda bulk oil and they seem to be showing a little higher wear/mile compared to Blackstones universal averages and even the hard core short-trip stop-and-go coupled with occasional moderate off-roading regiment that my CR-V sees.

With the "normal" price of PP being $4/qt at Wal-Mart (got a bunch there last night for $2.40/qt) it's maybe going to cost you $5-10 over the least expensive options. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time the $50-100 extra per 100k miles is probably worth it and in your case you'd be going with an oil that I think is every bit as good as M1 EP for less money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mozart

9800! wow I'm impressed. My Toyota Rav4 light comes on religiously at 5K

My Honda got 5500 @ 15%... not sure what 0% would have been but I doubt 9800. Your numbers are impressive. At that long of an interval I personally would choose a synthetic.

The 9800 miles on mine was at 15% as well....I did not want to push it either. The first OCI was about 150 miles sooner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back