'07 Tundra, no known trans fluid changes at 144k

Son just bought a very nice '07 Tundra 4.7 2wd that spent its life in Florida. Looks like the previous owner took very good care of it, as it came with a folder full of maintenance receipts. However, I don't see any evidence that the auto trans fluid has ever been changed.

I'm tempted to do a drain and fill to freshen the fluid up. (With Toyota fluid.)

However, AMD (The Car Care Nut on YouTube) says that at this point, I'd be better off leaving it be. Normally, he advocates drain and fills to freshen the fluid at 60k intervals, but feels that you might do more harm than good at this mileage with no previous changes.

It shifts beautifully now, and I'm afraid of ruining that in the name of maintenance.

What would you do if it was your truck?

I can't tell you how many times I did drain and fills at Lexus on vehicles over 100k per customer request just to test drive it and feel torque convertor shutter afterwards that wasn't there before. I would leave it alone.

I guarantee that torque converter shudder was there before hand and the customer was hoping a fluid change would fix it.

I guarantee that torque converter shudder was there before hand and the customer was hoping a fluid change would fix it.
Nope. Test drove multiple examples before and after. I never do a transmission service without test driving in case the customer is hoping fluid will fix an issue they aren't telling me about.

Nope. Test drove multiple examples before and after. I never do a transmission service without test driving in case the customer is hoping fluid will fix an issue they aren't telling me about.
On a side note, if the customer just asks for a fluid change, why are you taking the car for a test drive? I mean, what if you get in an accident? Does your insurance cover the damage?

On a side note, if the customer just asks for a fluid change, why are you taking the car for a test drive? I mean, what if you get in an accident? Does your insurance cover the damage?
He explained specifically why he tests drives them in the post you quoted

I can't tell you how many times I did drain and fills at Lexus on vehicles over 100k per customer request just to test drive it and feel torque convertor shudder afterwards that wasn't there before. I would leave it alone.
Do another drain and fill. I know with some car models (not specifically Toyota), first maintenance to do for shudder add fresh fluid.

What would you do if it was your truck?
Single drain and fill, repeat every oil change until you get ~3 done, then do a single drain and fill every 30-50k miles (more frequently if he tows).

Shop insurance covers all technicians during test drives. Let's say a customer asks me to replace a ball joint, wheel bearing, etc. , you better believe I'm driving that car to verify it's the part they are requesting that's causing their issue before I go replacing parts. I'm a technician, not a parts replacer.

before I go replacing parts. I'm a technician, not a parts replacer.
A mechanic/technician told me many, many years ago to only describe what's wrong and let you guys diagnose it so 9/10 times I do just that. Now, one time I had a (hard) brake rupture and I could see the rust rot and fluid so I had my car towed to my favorite shop (after hours). I filled out their little form and said "brake line appears to have ruptured, please confirm...".

Now, back to your comment, I'm sure some customers come in and say "replace X" and is firm about it. The service advisor will write the work order up with something like "Customer waived shop diagnosis and inspection, advised to replace X", right ?

A mechanic/technician told me many, many years ago to only describe what's wrong and let you guys diagnose it so 9/10 times I do just that. Now, one time I had a (hard) brake rupture and I could see the rust rot and fluid so I had my car towed to my favorite shop (after hours). I filled out their little form and said "brake line appears to have ruptured, please confirm...".

Now, back to your comment, I'm sure some customers come in and say "replace X" and is firm about it. The service advisor will write the work order up with something like "Customer waived shop diagnosis and inspection, advised to replace X", right ?
Some customers are pretty firm about what they want, which is fine. We have them sign waivers if they don't want diagnostics done, but I never skip inspection regardless of what the customer or advisor says. I will always at least do a safety inspection of tires, brakes, and suspension on every vehicle.

Back