'07 Tahoe - 25k maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be taking my brother's truck in for its 40,000 km (25,000 mile) service next week. He isn't exactly a car person, so I'm taking care of his vehicle basically. Warranty laws are a bit different here, and in order to keep your warranty, you are required to have the dealer perform all and any maintenance. Otherwise, I would do it myself. As it's a small country, there's only one dealer, and it's a rip off. It cost us it cost us $89 for an oil change and a new air filter last time...and that's using mineral 20W-50 (BP Visco 3000) when the vehicle specifically requires 5W-30.
33.gif

Anyhow, I'm not following the dealership's service schedule...I'm rather hard headed about following GM's. I cannot find anything in the owner's manual, so if anybody here works for a Chevy/GMC service department or owns one of these trucks, I would very much appreciate your input. Currently, my schedule consists of the following:

• Mobil 1 5W-30
  • ACDelco air filter
  • ACDelco Dexron VI ATF
  • GM Vehicle Care transfer case fluid
  • GM Vehicle Care 80W-90 axle lubricant
  • ACDelco DOT 3 brake fluid
  • Power steering fluid (OEM recommedations?)
  • Coolant (recommendations?)

The dealer doesn't mind me supplying my own oil...but they do mind if I bring all the fluids in. So I'm going to have to stick with their own supplies for everything else. Would have very much preferred PP 5W-30, but it's only available at Ace Hardware here and they're out of stock for the next 3 weeks.

Also Is this vehicle equipped with a cabin air filter? When should the fuel filter be replaced? Anything else that would require attention? Brakes, etc. are in decent condition. Thank you.

Here in the US, almost all of the 2005 and newer GM vehicles follow the simplified maintenance schedule that consists of the Maintenance I and Maintenance II services.

Is this Tahoe equipped with the GM Oil Life Monitor?

I would change the oil, rotate the tires and replace the engine air filter.

The other stuff that you listed isn't needed at this mileage. The ATF and driveline fluids are good for at least 50k, as is the coolant. I would replace the brake fluid after three years.

Thanks for the response! The vehicle is equipped with an OLM, which I'm told is at 35%. Glad it isn't until the 80,000 km/50,000 mile mark that any of the above need attention...it gets quite costly!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks for the response! The vehicle is equipped with an OLM, which I'm told is at 35%. Glad it isn't until the 80,000 km/50,000 mile mark that any of the above need attention...it gets quite costly!

Then wait until 10% oil life remaining before performing a service (unless it has been more than a year since the last service).

I like it! I like that youre doing diff and transfer case. Don't forget the front diff.

THeyll think you anal, but I think that doing coolant early is a smart thing...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Then wait until 10% oil life remaining before performing a service (unless it has been more than a year since the last service).

If the oil was the correct grade, I wouldn't mind waiting...but as soon as I found out it's got 20W-50 in there - I really want it out ASAP.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like it! I like that youre doing diff and transfer case. Don't forget the front diff.

THeyll think you anal, but I think that doing coolant early is a smart thing...

Since we get a lot of dusty weather, I think it's cheap insurance to flush out the old coolant a bit early. I have a habit of doing all this on my own truck every 25k, including the front diff.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Anyone that put 20W50 in my late model GM would drain it before I left.

They're still of the mind frame that thick oil is best because of the heat. Wonder what GM would have to say about this.

OTOH, does anybody know if this vehicle's equipped with a cabin filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back