07 Chevy 3500, 8.1L 129K, 6K Amsoil ATM 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: fpracha
+1 an excellent point so far as 'blocking the dirt via air filter is concerned'.
However, it can interfere with the optimized air supply as per manufacturer design, which may hurt fuel economy/efficiency!

So would a clogged filter. A prefilter requires frequent perhaps daily cleaning. There are always trade-offs in sub-optimal conditions.

Hence it is not a practical solution. The primary filter is OEM setup designed to collect dirt while maintaining optimum air flow where critical - to mix with the precise fuel ratio.

I recommend that you take your questions to Terry Dyson. He is a professional tribologist and will explain these things to you as he interprets your UOA.

It is very important for you to have a VOA for reference if you want to establish condemnation levels that you are satisfied with for any parameter. High oxidation levels leading to thickening, sludge or gelation are unimportant to me because I don't extend OCI's out to oil depletion. I'm conservative enough to know if I see high oxidation, I probably need to change my PCV valve or change to a different oil for my application.

Since you appear to be interested in oil analysis, a laboratory course might be of benefit. Or find a local STLE meeting to attend. There will be lots of experts there you can ask.

In the meantime, try to focus on the big picture instead of just one parameter. Other areas might help you find your answers.

Originally Posted By: fpracha

Hence it is not a practical solution. The primary filter is OEM setup designed to collect dirt while maintaining optimum air flow where critical - to mix with the precise fuel ratio.

Hmm...seems a tad better than swapping in and out paper filters and blowing used paper filters out and reinstalling them. Not at all sure what your second sentence is implying. I surely hope a 2007 vehicle can adjust the air/fuel mix within a fairly wide range of AF restriction.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The oxidation went way up; bizzare.

I appreciate the chemistry lesson. But I'm just about convinced that oxidation is (nearly) a moot point. Only if it were SERIOUSLY shifted in an VERY EXAGGERATED manner, would it mean anything at all. Regardless of base stock.

As I clearly stated watch for the trend.

I appreciate the chemistry lesson. But I'm just about convinced that oxidation is (nearly) a moot point. Only if it were SERIOUSLY shifted in an VERY EXAGGERATED manner, would it mean anything at all. Regardless of base stock.

Ok - I get that. But it's useless info unless one could establish that a condemnation limit were definable. A "trend" is only an acknowledgement of a shift in direction. It does not speak to where a limit would be at. And it seems that limits would be perhaps unique to each lube utilized; as noted by several of you, one would need a VOA for contrast. And even then, it does not tell you how high the tolerace would be for delta ox or delta vis.

I would disagree, Pablo, that a "trend" is the indication of anything more than anecdotal evidence in this topic. You state to "watch for the trend". To what end??? That's not helpful. Let me play out an analogy ...
I tell my teenage son to go down to the market on Green street and get a newspaper. I tell him to NOT enter the "XXX" video store at the end of Green street. I watch him walk down Main street, and then turn onto Green street. A "trend" has occured; he shifted direction. Further, he walks down Green street, and then walks into the Subway sandwich shop and gets a Coke, then walks out and into the hardware store to look at tools, and finally goes into the market to get the paper. His "trend" continued down the street with each stop, but none were at the condematnion point (the XXX-video at the end of the street). TRENDS are worth noting, but unless you set a condemnation limit, they are meaningless, are they not? They can point to a potential issue, but they are not the sole reason to stop some action. They may never reach condemnation. They may reverse themselves with outside influence. They may stagnate. Trends indicate direction; condemantion points indicate location/postion. Trends indicate observation is warranted; condenmation limits indicate action is required. Two differnt concepts.

I am certainly a proponent that one of two things would indicate an OCI is warranted:
1) multiple criteria are tracked, and reasonable condemnation limits are in place, and more than one characteristic crosses over by small or moderate margin
2) multiple criteria are tracked, and reasonable condematnion limits are in place, and one characteristic goes grossly over a limit

I would NOT OCI simply because my TBN got below 2.0, when the wear rates were good, the insolubles were low, the contamination (fuel, dirt, coolant) were low or non-existent, etc. Just because TBN may cross an artibrary threshold, does not warrant an OCI. Another excellent example would be the famous Dmax Cu exposure issue. I have never said that the presence of Cu in extreme magnitudes automatically warrants an OCI; I have only said that the presence of Cu in such high concentrations can mask other potential issues, and that one must decide to put up with the high Cu for a few OCIs (running "blind" to other events), or choose to do several OCI flushes to rid the system of the excess Cu.

If I had a great UOA report, but the coolant or Si were stupid high, and could be confirmed (coolant loss in tank or discovered leak in air-intake tract), then I'd OCI as a matter of getting the junk out, fix the issue, and then start over with a fresh OCI/UOA. Regardless of how good other UOA criteria were, the really high concentration of contamination would warrant an OCI IMO in cases like this.

So all that in mind, we have a couple of UOAs here in this thread with different Ox numbers because of different base stock configurations. OK - fine. But how much shift in Ox or vis would indicate some threshold worthy of considering action? 75% of the base number? 75% of a shift towards an artibrary target?

Like I said, the more I look at it, it's moot. We are missing two very important pieces of the puzzle to make a clear decision:
1) we don't know starting OX values from these loads
2) we don't have the ability to clearly define where condemnation is, even after we recognize a trend

What I care about is wear. If the Ox were 10 or 100, would be of no consequnce if the wear rates stayed (nearly) flat. Only if I saw significant escalation in wear rates would I become concerned, and look for the root cause indicators in other parts of the UOA. This is not without merit; the SAE study acknowledges this, and my large database also has statistical evidence to confirm it's a sound premise.

Again - thanks all for the chemistry lesson.

Last edited:
What I care about is wear. If the Ox were 10 or 100, would be of no consequnce if the wear rates stayed (nearly) flat. Only if I saw significant escalation in wear rates would I become concerned, and look for the root cause indicators in other parts of the UOA. This is not without merit; the SAE study acknowledges this, and my large database also has statistical evidence to confirm it's a sound premise.

No discounting the wear aspect, but (and help further educate a novice here), a high oxidation rate (especially in a conventional oil) is a precursor to sludge build-up is it not? If at 6K+ on one of my OCs I started seeing high oxidation, even if the wear metals read at or near the levels they always had, I would become concerned. Can you elaborate?

Yeah, my concern with a large increase in oxidation is that it creates deposit precursors. Unfortunately, whether deposits signficantly occur depends also on the base oils, dispersants, detergents, and even the engine and usage profile of the engine. No way can a single increase in oxidation be used as a condemnation for all oils and engines. The best thing to do to make sure deposits are not occurring is to look in the engine.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Yeah, my concern with a large increase in oxidation is that it creates deposit precursors. Unfortunately, whether deposits signficantly occur depends also on the base oils, dispersants, detergents, and even the engine and usage profile of the engine. No way can a single increase in oxidation be used as a condemnation for all oils and engines. The best thing to do to make sure deposits are not occurring is to look in the engine.

+1 Well said JAG.

I think the #1 thing to look for is the oil thickening out of grade. If you see that, drain it.

Tell the owner to stop blowing out the filters. The filters are damaged that way. Don't believe me, check out Widman's site about that practice down in Bolivia, he's seen engines that wear out in 50 or 60 thousand miles because of extra dirt ingestion from filters having been blown out.

Originally Posted By: dhellman12
I'm not sure the frequency, but I believe he carries 3 wix paper air filters so he can blow them out and rotate until its time to replace.

I'm wondering if this is a great practice or not. Blowing out a paper filter is not generally recommended. Then rotating in a used filter. How are the used ones stored - or am I not reading this correctly.
I think a prefilter would be good here. Just take the prefilter off, knock it out and put it back on without touching the main filter.

A pre filter installation can be a good idea if you operate in a dusty environment, but blowing out engine air filters is not a good idea. I would definitly use an OEM filter and then not change it until it is real dirty. Dirty filters are far more efficient than clean ones, but folks that off road often keep their air filters too clean, which is not good news.

If you operate in a dusty environment, extended OCI's may not be a good idea, as no air filtration system is perfect and Silicon contamination is real bad news in engine wear terms.
I tend to look at Blackstones average figures for an engine type and would not be inclined to extend an OCI too much if I was past the average Silicon figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Since you appear to be interested in oil analysis, a laboratory course might be of benefit. Or find a local STLE meeting to attend. There will be lots of experts there you can ask.

In the meantime, try to focus on the big picture instead of just one parameter. Other areas might help you find your answers.
+1.

A "trend" is only an acknowledgement of a shift in direction. It does not speak to where a limit would be at. And it seems that limits would be perhaps unique to each lube utilized; as noted by several of you, one would need a VOA for contrast. And even then, it does not tell you how high the tolerace would be for delta ox or delta vis.
I am certainly a proponent that one of two things would indicate an OCI is warranted:
1) multiple criteria are tracked, and reasonable condemnation limits are in place, and more than one characteristic crosses over by small or moderate margin
2) multiple criteria are tracked, and reasonable condematnion limits are in place, and one characteristic goes grossly over a limit

Yes indeed this is all true.
Typically for engine lubes multiple criteria need to be tracked, not just Ox, but this you already know... however, Ox is also important by itself, specially when extending to really test the drain interval.

With high Ox approaching the limit for a given lube, the engine efficiency will already be affected (more fuel burned, less power and so on..). But we do not want to reach this point and still have the lube running in the engine!

Don't understand where the Sodium came from, as there are no other signs of coolant contamination, so it might be from salt on the roads passing the air filter, but that is a wild guess.
Anyone have a better idea?

Valvoline uses Sodium in their add pack. It will continue to come down as the old oil gets drained out.

If he is in such dusty environment, wants extended oci's and yet wants to maintain the stock air filter set up, maybe he should consider an oil bypass filtration setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back