06 Tundra, inline atf filter, oem cooler plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

So I finally committed to the project after realizing my goals will include keeping truck another 9 years, and it was well over 100k on it already. the transmission only has an internal screen.

Picked up this filter mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XOQ0GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , then a few hose barbs, 3/8" hose, and a spin-on filter. The adapter allows plumbing to source from either side, and whatever ports you don't use can be used for a temp sender, which I did.

Engine-bay side of the left-hand wheel well beneath the battery had a near-perfect spot, so down it went, three holes through and it was in. The slowest part was tracing hoses and making sure I knew the flow direction. It was NOT what we always discuss here on bitog. How toyota did it oem with the oem tow package:

1. fluid leaves trans and flows to driver side radiator port for ATF.
2. fluid exits radiator on passenger side and enters bottom of aux cooler in front of rad.
3. fluid leaves top of aux cooler and returns to trans

In other words, radiator first, aux cooler second. I plumbed the spin-on immediately from the trans fluid exit.

The fluid that spilled out of the hoses is about 25,000 old, and I noted that it had a number of the faintest tiny sparkles in the sunlight, like we often see in used lawnmower oil. Assuming that really is metal and not some illusion from air bubbles, a real filter should be a good thing.

There were no hard guidelines for what filter to mate with it, so I went with a medium-to-larger-cased M1 synthetic media filter that fit. The 'net has many examples of folks running oil filters in these without drama, and a few stories where filter manufacturers have recommended a transmission or hydraulic filter instead, but without any reason mentioned (wasn't tested for it, etc.). I did feel that a higher quality filter (mobil 1 and K&N appear to be identical inside) would be best due to the 30k interval.

This truck is spec'ed for the lower viscosity WS fluid-- it gets amsoil low viscosity ATF. If it's above 60F the trans sees 130F daily, 160 towing with 220 peaks on mountain grades.

Install was within an hour and a half.

-Mike!

Last edited:
pics? Does the filter have a bypass? I use a magnegine personally because of the low bypass psi(2-4 psi iirc)if the filter media gets to plugged up.

Last edited:
sorry-- no pics.

the filter does have a bypass but I suspect it to be higher than 4psi. If it ever did need a bypass there would be far greater problems.

The other 2 cars in my sig have magnefines, and they have worked nicely, and I suspect saved the van's trans after some dirt got in the solenoid body. I wanted a spin-on to gain as much capacity and media surface area as possible.

I had a similar setup on my 01 Tundra before:

Photo0185.jpg

Filter base takes a 3/4-16" thread filter so I used a M1 filter and a Filtermag. I removed the setup several years back and just used a Magnefine after the cooler line.

The recommendation came to use a hydraulic filter, because a hydraulic filter is going to filter much deeper than an engine oil filter. Your transmission cooler line presents nowhere near the pressure or capacity of an engine oil pump, so there is no need to have a filter as "loose" as an engine oil filter. Take advantage of the better filtration a hydraulic filter will give you.

What oil filter PN did you pick?

I never used a hydraulic filter. Stick with quality and easily available motor oil filters. You have plenty of choices in the 3/4-16 thread.... as it was used by Ford/Toyota/Mopar... for years.

The oil filter has a bypass as insurance, whether its needed or not.

And, you can use even a Trasko or Stilko, or chromed Harley filter.

Pick a good synthetic or blend media...TG8a, XG8a, FL1a, and forget about it. Change it whenever you want, every 30k, but it'll probably never require changing.

I do like the added filter magnets to take the load off the AT pan magnets, which are useless when covered in iron and weakened with heat cycles.

Trans---radiator---auxiliary---back to trans is a normal ATF flow loop...not sure what was mentioned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back