06 Silverado tranny fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys , asking for opinions here. My 06 silverado has had transmission service done at 60000 & 120000 w/Dexron VI fluid, pan dropped , fluid changed etc... Has 178000 mi now and thought I'd do it myself. Bought a hand pump at AutoZone and drew out 4-5 qts of fluid (no drain plug). It's cold out and at this point I got a little lazy and just refilled with DexVI fluid the amount I pumped out and called it good! This is the practically the same procedure I do on my wife's Accord per Honda every 30000 mi. I was thinking I might just run this for an oil change interval and do it again and then every 30000 the life of the truck. OK? Waste of time ? Asking for trouble? What do y'all think ?

^ You can delete the double post since you still have the edit feature.

Pops,

How many quarts do you normally get out of the Accord using the hand pump? Seems like an easy way to do it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
^ You can delete the double post since you still have the edit feature.

Pops,

How many quarts do you normally get out of the Accord using the hand pump? Seems like an easy way to do it.

I tried. It won't let me.

The Accord has a drain plug - about 3 qts and refill w/Honda ATF DW-1. I called the dealership where we bought her car & Honda shop lead says that's all they recommend for the life of the vehicle. No flushing.

We always recommend with honda customers to do a fluid change every 30,000 on hondas to try and keep the trans's life as good as possible. If you do fluid changes and the trans die's there is nothing else you could have done. We use Chevron/ Havoline multi-vehicle ATF.

How did the fluid that was sucked out look? does yours have a cooler? Do you tow?

I can tell you what I did with my older Yukon was.....I used supertech dex vi and I did a drain and fill every other oil change. Its cheap fluid that meets the spec and is an easy job. Sold it with 100K and it shifted just as good as when I got it.

You should've gotten an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug, or perhaps from an earlier truck (I heard that some years and models do have a drain plug on their transmissions)

The fluid wasn't black/burnt looking, dark purple maybe. Has a stock cooler and only pull a utility trailer occasionally. Mostly it's a highway runner.

I recommend dropping the pan, Changing the filter, And most importantly...Clean the magnet that's in the bottom of the pan. As the magnet "hair's" over with metal, It becomes less effective at attracting metal shavings. Then the Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid will start to attract metal, If enough metal collects on the EPC solenoid, Commanded Line Pressure can be effected.

Install a second magnet right next the original one GM P/N 29535617.

Have not jumped on the Dexron VI band wagon yet, A 4L60E will be fine with Dexron IIIH.
If I had a newer 6 speed 6L80E/6L90E, Dexron VI would get the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back