06 Nissan Titan V8 Mobil1 TSUV 5w-30 2569 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA post so please comment on this!! I used a very short OCI b/c it is my first UOA report and was just curious to see how the truck is wearing.

Engine Make/Model: 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.6L
Oil interval: 2569 miles
Engine mileage: 11634 miles on odometer
Oil/oil filter used: 6.5 qts Mobil1 TSUV 5w-30 SM & PureOne
Makeup oil: none
Oil lab: Blackstone
Oil samples was taken on 5-24-06

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 1
Iron: 6
Copper: 2
Lead: 2
Tin: 0
Moly: 75
Nickel: 0
Manganese:0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium:0
Boron: 38
Silicon: 12
Sodium: 8
Calcium: 2173
Magnesium:11
Phosphorus:571
Zinc: 672
Barium: 0

TBN: 4.8
SUS viscosity@ 210F: 59.1
Flashpoint: 390F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insolubles: TR

Blackstone's comments: You have successfully past wear-in at 11634 engine miles and your engine is doing delightfully well using this type oil with the conservative oil run. The TBN was 4.8 so feel free to add miles to the oil use next sample. Try a 4500 mile oil use run. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type engine after about 4790 miles run on the oil. Air and oil filtration appear normal. This was 5w/30 engine oil with no gas, moisture or anti-freeze in it. We doubt wear in the next sample will show much changed. This is a very nice wearing Nissan!

My comments: Although i think this is a good report, i think i can do better by switching to GC which i'm currently on and will do another UOA of. My silicon and sodium appears to be a little high? I've used PureOnes and Havoline for the first initial 5000 miles and switched to Mobil1 TSUV 5w-30 after that. I also switched out my OEM air filter at 6000 miles with a Wix air filter.

Sodium is not a problem. Silicon is likely from the sealant/gasket at these low initial miles. Good report. Looks like the engine doesn't have any "issues".

Thanks for the input Al. Well from the look of this oil, simply not worth the money... A dino oil like Havoline is much much better than this oil. No more Mobil1 for me. I guess it's on to GC now and whatever oil in the future.

HR:

Are you using the Nissan OEM air filter? Blake pointed out that he's had air filtration issues in his QX. My Si and So are ever so slightly higer than I'd like, and I've been using the OEM on my G35. Your numbers are hardly "bad" in any sense; this is more of an academic/curiosity question.
cheers.gif

I think this looks very good myself there is no wear that will ever make a difference it will live forever man.

Ekpolk, i noticed that my OEM air filter was somewhat pitch dark on half of the side and decided to switch it out with a Wix air filter at 6000 miles. I suggest using a Wix air filter rather then the OEM. One thing i did notice is that the OEM air filter has alot "ALOT" of oil on it. Although i get free OEM air filters from Nissan every maintenance schedule, i will collect them but will not use them... instead ill prlly sell them and stick to my Wix/Napa Gold or if they ever have one, Pureone air filters. So to answer, no, im no longer using the OEM air filters.

Im actually quite surprised on how well the Sodium levels are, because here in TX, i frequently drive through alot of dirt covered areas. I believe my Pureone oil filter and the Wix air filter helped tremendously.

the factory filter is dark like that in one area because of the intake scoop directing incoming air to that part of the filter area....

It should be. I believe this truck "loves" to beat the heck out of oils. I dont know if this contributes to the low TBN, but every weekend, i do take my truck out on the freeway for about an hour over a course of 60 miles to "workout", driving mostly 70-80 mph to burn off any fuel/water that might be in the oil. I stopped doing WOTs since i reached 8000 miles on the engine. Just some FYI.

The 5w-30, T & SUV looks like the garden variety Mobil 1 to me in terms of additive levels.

Analysis results look fine...I'd test the next time after 6k-7k miles.

TS

I think the only difference between the SM 5w-30 and this 5w-30 TSUV is the "label" on the bottle. I dont see any difference between the two 5w-30's??

I don't see why Havoline would work better than this oil, other than maybe value. The only contaminant in double digits is Si, which shouldn't be at all related to the oil. The TBN seems a little small compared to the total mileage, but would probably hold up well for a few thousand miles more. Just out of curiosity, why do you think Havoline would do better? At these levels, it seems as though the inherent errors of the UOA would be higher than any differences in the oil's performance.

multiple uoa's that look as good or better using havoline and chevron supreme...i have a uoa that looks as good if not better using cevron 10-30 at $1.50 PER QUART. so thats probably why he is saying that??

I understand that the price point is much better, and that many UOAs are as good or better with conventional oils. My basic point is that the differences on a UOA would probably be no greater than the error in the sample, so why would Havoline be 'much, much better', other than the obvious price difference? I believe the Havoline would protect as well or better, but for fewer miles. BTW, I do like Havoline, it's what I'm running now, because I believe it's best for my purposes. Saying that, the UOA looks great to me.
smile.gif

Im stating that Havoline/Chevron would protect as well as this oil due to the low OCI's i will probably be doing with this vehicle. But of course, i do want some of that PAO/Ester components if at all possible in my oils also.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The 5w-30, T & SUV looks like the garden variety Mobil 1 to me in terms of additive levels.

Properties too

Mobil 1 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 64.8
cSt @ 100º C 11.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.09
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.80

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 64.8
cSt @ 100º C 11.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.09
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.86

Looks like the density @ 15C is the point of distinction here
confused.gif

Can someone verify my question since i can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.... What does "TR" stand for? I guess it stands for trace amounts? And, it is my understanding that you CAN NOT get 0.0% insolubles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back