05 Surburban 1500 - Lifter Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 05 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3L we bought with 130K miles and now has 206K miles. Since 130K I've changed the oil with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and and Mobil 1 oil filter every 5K.

We recently did an oil change with a local shop that used standard bulk 5w30 (not sure what brand), and STP oil filter, plus we added some BG MOA. Drove the burb about 500 miles then the water pump failed. Engine did get pretty hot on failure but we caught it quick and shut it down. I did not change the oil after the water pump replacement. Another 1000 miles and I've got a pretty bad lifter tick going now in #7. It ticks on cold start and sometimes pretty bad when warm but some days it doesn't tick at all. I've noticed some pressure drop according to the gauge, it typically floats around 40 psi and now I'm at 25-30. I'm not sure if that started right after the oil change or not, I just started paying more attention to everything after the lifter tick.

Any thoughts on adding some Liqui Molly Lifter additive? I'm going to try somethings before I pay for the lifters to be changed.

I'm planning on doing an oil change back to Mobil 1 High Mileage and the Mobil 1 filter to see if that changes anything. Would an oil filter change to STP be something that could attribute to this?

Before going further I might suggest having close look at the bolts on your exhaust manifold. The bolt heads are prone to breaking off. It typically occurs at the front bolt and/or the rear bolt. It results in a leakage that sounds like a lifter tick. I had it occur. Just a guess.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Before going further I might suggest having close look at the bolts on your exhaust manifold. The bolt heads are prone to breaking off. It typically occurs at the front bolt and/or the rear bolt. It results in a leakage that sounds like a lifter tick. I had it occur. Just a guess.
smile.gif

I should have mentioned that. We did check the exhaust manifold bolts because I previously had a broken exhaust manifold bolt that 3 shops tried to extract before we finally decided to go with a clamp that has been working great. No leaks there, at least not yet.

I feel your pain. I have a company van, 2006 Chevy Express 2500 with the 4.8 and most days its quiet, even with 289k. However some days i get a ticking noise somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. Oil pressure on this van has always been low since it got it 2 years ago with about 190k on it.

Originally Posted by RichardSenn
I've got an 05 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3L we bought with 130K miles and now has 206K miles.

I'm going to try somethings before I pay for the lifters to be changed.

206K on an '05? I would just let them tick. BTW I have an '05 Silverado 5.3 with 170K.

My 06 6.0 had the ticks. Was better after finding the right oil/filter combo. The engine does not like high efficiency filters like the Fram Ultra or thick oils. Better, very faint, but it was still there. Then one day I tried the latest experiment with fuel system/injector cleaners. Prior cleanings with various products including techron and redline smoothed things out, but never changed that tick. This time I tried what I use in the tractor and snowblower. 2 bottles of Gumout Multi System Tuneup in a full tank. Gone. Wow. Guess the fuel injectors make noise also. Heres a video. All you can hear now is a missing manifold bolt passenger side ugh..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvQak2nw1I

I have an ‘02 Silverado 5.3 that's been ticking since I bought it at 170k miles about 8 years ago (no clue how long it had been ticking before that). It's at 245k now and still runs fine.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
My 06 6.0 had the ticks. Was better after finding the right oil/filter combo. The engine does not like high efficiency filters like the Fram Ultra or thick oils. Better, very faint, but it was still there. Then one day I tried the latest experiment with fuel system/injector cleaners. Prior cleanings with various products including techron and redline smoothed things out, but never changed that tick. This time I tried what I use in the tractor and snowblower. 2 bottles of Gumout Multi System Tuneup in a full tank. Gone. Wow. Guess the fuel injectors make noise also. Heres a video. All you can hear now is a missing manifold bolt passenger side ugh..

Directions say that the Gumout Multi System Tuneup can be used in the crankcase also. I did not read where it states the amount to use in the oil

I wonder if the Multi System Tuneup is the Gumout's product that counters / mirrors popular Seafoam.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Directions say that the Gumout Multi System Tuneup can be used in the crankcase also. I did not read where it states the amount to use in the oil

I wonder if the Multi System Tuneup is the Gumout's product that counters / mirrors popular Seafoam.

I poured some Chemtool B12 in my 01 burban's crankcase to start cleaning out the engine before upcoming OCI

I believe it was 1 oz per qt ??? So 6 ounces should be good

Dave

Last edited:

https://gumout.com/multi-system-tune-up/
DIRECTIONS
Add to fuel: For optimal results, add entire can to the tank. Fill the tank with fuel and run to near empty before refueling. One pint treats 18-21 gallons of all types of gas or diesel fuels.
Add to oil: Add one ounce per quart of oil. Immediately start engine and run for 5-10 minutes to mix completely.
Vacuum Intake Cleaner: May be used with engine decarbonizing equipment through the vacuum system to clean intake manifold, valves and combustion chamber. Follow recommended mechanical procedures for the equipment.
Small 4-cycle engines: Add to gasoline using ¾ to 1 ounce per gallon of fuel.
Small 2-cycle engines: Add to gasoline using ¾ to 1 ounce per gallon of fuel. Add 2-cycle oil as recommended by engine manufacturer. Gumout® Multi-System Tune-Up does not replace 2-cycl

Its in the same bottle. Has a fuel stabilizer. And some amount of PEA. I was thinking maybe a Seafoam/techron hybrid when I bought it.

Gumout product video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuF_4NtGM_c

As for that missing exhaust manifold bolt, try run a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper around the manifold where it seals on the block. Worked for me.

A1D9E808-A4D0-431D-BAEB-812BE9A94FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
I switched to Formula Shell (10w30) in my 2000 Silverado. Within a day, the lifter tick was pretty much gone. YMMV

So the engine hot hot and you still have the same oil in there ...

First thing I'd do is dump about 6 oz of Seafoam into the crankcase and drive it around the block, or a few miles. Then change the oil and the filter. Back to M1 High Mileage and a Napa Gold filter - but that's just me ...

It's got 200,000 miles on it. Oil curing the problem is pretty small. Exhaust manifold, lifters going bad, etc......

I take care of an 05 suburban with 220k miles. Always had quicklube oil changes until it came to us almost 3 years ago. This 5.3 ticks with with certain oil. The faint tick went away with Pennzoil 5w30 and a FRAM OCOD. It also uses a quart of oil between 3-5K miles on a 5K interval. The first 3k mi it doesn't burn a drop. I don't know which is worse, 3k oci or adding a quart of make up oil to get to 5K?

The engine was not happy on M1 with mobil 1 filter this was the noisiest combo and here I was thinking I was doing the engine a favor.

I don't have a scientific solution just passing on that our 5.3 is very much quieter on certain oil/filter combos even with high milage.

If it were mine I would hit walmart and get the cheapest 5w30 conventional (Havoline 6 qt BOX? convienent at least) and a Fram orange can or ST filter and see if anything changes. If not you are out less than $20 and have fresh oil in there.

A bad lifter and a "GM lifter tick" sound very different from each other but if it comes and goes I think you just have a case of GM lifter tick and I think you can improve it. If you have a mechanic worth a [censored] near you see if they will listen to it and see what he thinks.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
I take care of an 05 suburban with 220k miles. Always had quicklube oil changes until it came to us almost 3 years ago. This 5.3 ticks with with certain oil. The faint tick went away with Pennzoil 5w30 and a FRAM OCOD. It also uses a quart of oil between 3-5K miles on a 5K interval. The first 3k mi it doesn't burn a drop. I don't know which is worse, 3k oci or adding a quart of make up oil to get to 5K?

The engine was not happy on M1 with mobil 1 filter this was the noisiest combo and here I was thinking I was doing the engine a favor.

I don't have a scientific solution just passing on that our 5.3 is very much quieter on certain oil/filter combos even with high milage.

If it were mine I would hit walmart and get the cheapest 5w30 conventional (Havoline 6 qt BOX? convienent at least) and a Fram orange can or ST filter and see if anything changes. If not you are out less than $20 and have fresh oil in there.

A bad lifter and a "GM lifter tick" sound very different from each other but if it comes and goes I think you just have a case of GM lifter tick and I think you can improve it. If you have a mechanic worth a [censored] near you see if they will listen to it and see what he thinks.

Same issues with my 6.0. I changed only one variable which was the oil filter. I went from a high-efficiency Ultra to a lower efficiency TG. Keeping the same motor oil which was M1 5w30. Ticking disappeared. So in my unscientific opinion it's the oil pump that appears to be "weak" and struggles to push oil through high-efficiency filters at startup.

Also related to your oil consumption you need to find out which valve cover with integrated PCV valve you have. It's known to cause excess oil consumption and the fix is to replace with an upgraded cover with a larger bezel hole for the PCV valve. I don't have the TSB in front of me right now. But I attached a link to the cover from Amazon so you could read the reviews. Although a lot of the problems have been experienced in the Years with AFM it can still be a problem in the 05 - 06 years and even earlier depending on which valve cover you have. It's worth an investigation because it's a relatively easy fix Genuine GM 12570427 Valve Rocker Arm Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F66SLG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eGKmCbYDHJQTY

I just looked at my mother-in-laws Escalade with the 6.0l that I thought had either a lifter tick or exhaust leak. It made the sound when it was cold and lessened as it warmed up. I crawled under it yesterday to see if I could pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I found the plastic shield by the starter was missing the lower bolt and was rubbing on the flexplate. Just something easy to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back