'05 Nissan Altima 3.5, 3000 miles on Havoline 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I just recieved my first UOA today on my '05 Nissan Altima with the 3.5L VQ engine; I'm still awaiting Terry's analysis.

I really have no interest at this point in extended drain intervals (warranty, you know, and dino's cheap). I was just curious as to how my car was doing, as I've heard these engines can be hard on oil, and I wanted to see how the Havoline would hold up.

I primarily drive short trips around town - about 12 miles to work and back, with lots of stop and go driving. I do take about 1-2 trips/week that are primarily highway miles (60 miles round-trip).

I normally change oil every 3,000 - 3,500 miles. I use a Purolator PureONE filter, Havoline 5W30 (SM), and I still have in the OEM air filter. I also added 6oz of SuperTech injector cleaner at the last oil change.

Here are the stats:

MILES ON OIL - 2853
MILES ON ENGINE - 11890
*First number is current value, and the second number is the universal average*

Aluminum 6 - 3
Chromium 1 - 1
Iron 7 - 11
Copper 11 - 7
Lead 2 - 5
Tin 0 - 1
Molybdenum 407 - 73
Nickel 0 - 0
Manganese 1 - 1
Silver 0 - 0
Titanium 0 - 0
Potassium 1 - 1
Boron 27 - 74
Silicon 17 - 11
Sodium 3 - 5
Calcium 1565 - 2379
Magnesium 24 - 122
Phosphorous 635 - 728
Zinc 930 - 868
Barium 0 - 0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 °F:
Should Be 56-62, Actual = 56.4

FLASHPOINT IN °F:
Should Be > 365, Actual = 375

FUEL %:
Should Be < 1.0%, Actual = < 0.5

ANTIFREEZE %:
Should Be 0, Actual = 0

WATER %:
Should Be < 0.1%, Actual = 0

INSOLUBLES:
Should Be < 0.6%, Actual = 0.2

TBN = 2.9

To my eyes this looks OK, but I want to hear from everyone what they think. Admittedly, I'm quite the novice here.
grin.gif

Havoline 5W30 will not be the death of this engine.Havoline/Chevron oils are excellent deals!

Are you planning to go to a thicker grade when the warranty is up?

The upper-end wear is quite high, especially if you've been changing every 3-3500 miles. I suspect that your problem lies within the Supertech Injector Cleaner, which is leaving traces in your oil.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem but this additive is really affecting upper-end wear as the oil is unable to handle the chemical ingestion.

The depleted Flashpoint and TBN (also depleted by Fuel Dilution) is confirming this.

Mike

Ya go with FP 60 if you feel you need FI cleaner.After another OCI look at what others have been useing in that engine and make up your mind how often you wish to service the car.GC I think will work but that is just me I like the results.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back