05 Malibu bogging down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. My 05 Chevy Malibu is having an issue I cannot figure out. Warm or cold, when I accelerate harder than normal (typically accelerate easy) the car will rev up and then bog down like it will stall and the check engine light will turn on. Once I let my foot off the gas it will go back to normal and the check engine light shuts off so I haven't been able to run it for codes. It appears to be transmission related as the car run like a champ (minus the obvious issue.) I hope somebody can help me determine what this is!

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
It has probably stored the code, go to Autozone/Advance and see if they can find a code.

+1 yeah that ^^ How can you start without the code?

Originally Posted By: Doog
It has probably stored the code, go to Autozone/Advance and see if they can find a code.

+1 yeah that ^^ How can you start without the code?

True. I wasn't sure if autozones would have a code reader that read stored codes. I thought it was only for when the check engine light is currently only. Figured garages/dealerships had better tech for that. Will have to try AZ this weekend

Sounds like a missfire. I am not sure if AZ allows to pull stored codes. Let us know.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter.

That's what I am leaning to as well. Was hoping I was the only one who thought that haha.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if the cel light comes on it should store a code... scan it and tell us the code. how is the fuel filter?

It isnt a serviceable filter. It is built into the gas tank.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter.

+1 I agree. Catalytic converter. If it needs changed, spend the money and get the exact fit. OBD II cars can have problems if "universal" ones are installed. Plus, no welding, unbolt the old one, bolt in the new. Done.

My best guess is the car has never been tuned up... plugs/wires/fuel filter (if applicable). Start there since that is a heck of a lot cheaper than a cat.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
So what was the code?

Hamburgers and beer took up my weekend. Going to get it checked this week

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i meant how is the fuel pressure lol.. wow

Didn't mean any offense. The pressure seems pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
My best guess is the car has never been tuned up... plugs/wires/fuel filter (if applicable). Start there since that is a heck of a lot cheaper than a cat.

I gave the car a tuneup right around 100k using all AC Delco parts. I am going to check and make sure that there wasnt an issue with one of the plugs but the engine is running smooth otherwise.

The Autozone reader will read stored codes. Good luck, hope it isn't an expensive fix. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Me too! Selling the car otherwise!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
So what was the code?

Sorry for the delay but it ended up the Cat died. Unfortunately I am able to do this repair myself and had to go to the stealership.

Originally Posted By: EricF
that cat conv. died young.. 100k isn't very much life.
His sig says the car has 125,000. Tuneup was done at 100,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back