PHOSPHORUS----630
ZINC----------764
BARIUM----------0
TBN: 4.1
SUS Vis: 62.4
Flashpoint: 375*F
Fuel: Antifreeze/Water: 0
Insolubles: 0.3

This was not driven all highway. Most of the miles were in town stop and go. Fram X2 filter.
3 quarts mobil 1 5-30 and 1 quart mobil 1 15-50. Oil was in car 2 months 14 days. Oil was changed completely.
Here is my first analysis on this car.

[ April 23, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: kwikrnu ]

That's amazingly low wear. I don't believe it....must be lab error!
spaz.gif

EDIT: Somebody pulled a joke on me. When I clicked on this post, all I saw was "1"....that's it. Now I can see the entire report. Whatda!!
confused.gif

Anyway....awesome report.....I wouldn't change anything!

[ April 23, 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

If you decide to go any longer at least change the oil filter and top off with fresh oil! THis is the same precuder Amsoil recomends with their oil.

The 1.8 engine in the Corolla is a gem. I don't know why it has not been hailed as a break though in engineering. In tests I've seen the Corolla out accelerates just about anything in its class and also blows them away in fuel efficency. Only the Civic comes close and it is blown away in performance. How do they do it!! Low friction must be one of the secrets.

quote:

Originally posted by mnztr:
The 1.8 engine in the Corolla is a gem. I don't know why it has not been hailed as a break though in engineering. In tests I've seen the Corolla out accelerates just about anything in its class and also blows them away in fuel efficency. Only the Civic comes close and it is blown away in performance. How do they do it!! Low friction must be one of the secrets.

Here is the secret:
http://www.spyderchat.com/1zzfe.pdf
Lots of work was put in optimizing the engine.
Note that the first production (circa 1998) was not free of problems, mainly oil consumption.
In 2000, the engine was improved by variable valve intake timing and then got new intake in 2003.
The last tweak produced several more HP but made it noisier though.

My numbers with 5000 miles dino oil (kendall 10w30) were even better: 4ppm Fe, mixed driving with mostly city.

Man, I don't pretend to understand it all, but they REALLY did their homework. It's attention to detail like this that makes one understand why Toyota makes such great cars. I wonder why they stuck with cast iron liners instead of nikasil plated bores that seem to be the latest and greatest??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back