03 pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I'm looking for advise for my sisters 03 pathfinder she bought to use as a second vehicle/winter vehicle last November. Overall the vehicle is in great shape it was garage kept it's hole life and only has 86,000 miles on it. After having it a few months it started running poorly and she took it to her local garage and was told the cam sensor was gunked up with sludge. They replaced the sensor changed the oil and it ran fine for 3 more months until the same problem happened again. She was told the sensor was sludged up for the second time. I have always been aftraid of solivent flushes but apparently something needs to be done to address the sludge issue. The vehicle isn't her daily driver and she only put 5000 miles on it since November. Any suggestions?

I'm also vary iffy on flushes, if was going to try one it would probably be Amsoil engine flush since they are known to make quality products it might work.

Change the oil and filter every month for 6 months using a synthetic motor oil, and then stick with the 3k/3mo interval.

For the 6 monthly changes, use 6 different synthetic oils.

And, change the antifreeze, bleed brake fluid, change the ATF, front rear diffs, transfer case, air filter, belt, thermostat, wipers....

You mean the new one they got from an auto wrecker,
or the one they had in a drawer?

Something smells in Rotterdam.

I don't think there is an engine oil cure.

Try the dealership, they just might
have a bulletin and a service writer
that's been around a while.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
Hello I'm looking for advise for my sisters 03 pathfinder she bought to use as a second vehicle/winter vehicle last November. Overall the vehicle is in great shape it was garage kept it's hole life and only has 86,000 miles on it. After having it a few months it started running poorly and she took it to her local garage and was told the cam sensor was gunked up with sludge. They replaced the sensor changed the oil and it ran fine for 3 more months until the same problem happened again. She was told the sensor was sludged up for the second time. I have always been aftraid of solivent flushes but apparently something needs to be done to address the sludge issue. The vehicle isn't her daily driver and she only put 5000 miles on it since November. Any suggestions?

What a good brother! Instead of going the “solvent flush” route, why not try a high mileage motor oil? We recently unrolled a full synthetic high mileage motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage that would start cleaning up with sludge your sister is experiencing with the first oil change. If you go with our recco, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 would be the proper visc grade. Hope this helps! – The Pennzoil Team

This new product isn't a redundant ILSAC rated lube, is it, Gena?
wink.gif
I can't tell because no one has bothered to put up a data sheet yet at the normal location, with either the U.S. or Canada selected as the country.

Dont believe in engine oil flush, now a aday even a reputation company sell out for the $$$,

just drive the car really long 30-40, drive to let the engine getting really hot, then drain and oil, let it drain over night if possible, refill with new oil and change it regularly . 3k-4k or 3-4 month should do it. just use regular dino oil, penzoils, mobil super 5000.

Head over to the Nissan Pathfinder forums. Nicoclub has some good info on R50 pathfinders. If anything you might learn that its easy to change this sensor yourself and save a lot. Did the car throw any codes? You can have this checked for free at any auto parts store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back