02 WS6 Trans Am. Which oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has approx 55k miles. It's a weekend toy and is mostly stock except for a moderately big camshaft.
My local Wal-Mart Stocks Pennzoil Ultra in 5 qt jugs for 27.00 and M1 for 25ish every day of the week. They also stock Fram ultra filters. My local Advance Auto is always running a great deal on oils but varies month to month.

I used to use GC back in the day...but only some AutoZone's here had it on occasion and it rarely went on sale so I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and then Ultra. The last time I changed the oil (probably 2 years ago) I used 6 qt. of Ultra 5w30 and a WIX 51522. Although I'm sure it's still a great oil, it's my understanding Pennzoil Ultra SN isn't as good as the SM was. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I went by Advance Auto to see if they were running an oil/filter deal and get a jug of Mobil 1 0w40 and a Fram Ultra filter as recommended to me by a member on here and LS1tech.com. Right now they're having a deal on Castrol Edge Syntec which includes the 0w30 Euro Formula. 5 quarts for 32.99 plus a free Pure One filter or pay 2.00 more and get a K&N or Fram Ultra filter. Plus they give you 10.00 back in a rebate card. Most of the qts are made in Belgium, but they have several that is made in Germany.

Is the 0w30 still as good as it used to be and does it matter whether it's from Germany or Belgium anymore?

If so, should I stock up on this while there's a deal or would it be worth it to switch to M1 0w40?

Also, of the 3 filters, which is the best?

If the Castrol is still good stuff I'll switch back to it...especially at this price. If the M1 is better I'll switch to it and stock up when there's a sale on it in a month or two.

FWIW Pennzoil still has a $10 / 5 qt. jug rebate (MIR) for the PPw/PPT and PUPw/PPT (limit 2 jugs), plus $0.50 / gal Shell gasoline discount via FRN per 5 qt. jug purchased.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

On the filters the Fram Ultra has very well designed internals IMO, but I haven't used one yet. I have a number of Mobil 1 and Purolator Synthetic filters I picked up on sale.

That LS1 will run forever and strong on any 5w30 oil. I used to use QSUD 5w30 in my C5 corvette because i bought a ton of it on clearance.

Buying regular price oil id go with Valvoline synpower or Mobil 1. Both in 5w30.

LS1s love Mobil 1. Go Mobil 1 5W30 with a Fram Ultra filter. A great combo for that engine! Trust me!

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
LS1s love Mobil 1. Go Mobil 1 5W30 with a Fram Ultra filter. A great combo for that engine! Trust me!

+1 I couldn't have said it any better.

If you push the car really hard, a higher running viscosity may be beneficial to you. In that case go for Mobil 1 0w40.

Castrol is still good stuff. Buy what is on sale. Don't be label loyal SuperTech syn today will outperform 2002 synthetics today.

Oil filter
ACDelco UPF44
(discontinued) I have a stash of these
Oil
GC
, I have a stash of this too
muf%2B018.jpg

And my toy ride is this, 99 w/69k miles
IMAGE_526.jpeg

My cam card says to use a high zinc oil. Which makes sense with higher lift cams to help guard against wear on the rocker and valve stem tips and and the valve guides. I know proper valve train geometry is the best fighter against those...but some high zinc would help. Which of these oils would best help with that. I don't have CATs on my exhaust either...so zinc won't hurt me.

Last edited:
Did Mobil change M1 5w30??? It used to be thinner than what LS1's liked and amplified the sound of the valve train and piston slap. It's my understanding that's why a lot of owners went to M1 0w40. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Todd...I wish I could still use those filters! What would you use on them if you didn't have them?

Last edited:
M1 5w30 is indeed a little bit thicker than it used to be. A few years back it was at the bottom end of the 30 weight range, but it's now more in the middle. I wouldn't bother running 0w40 in an LS1 unless you're seeing consistently high oil temps, such as with road racing. Otherwise you should have no problem getting a long engine life out of 5w30.

I ran M1 5w30 for the last couple of years that I had my 98 Corvette and as soon as I got my 2005 Corvette I immediately put in M1 5w30 as well. I like Mobil 1, it's easy to find and often on sale. I didn't like the games that Pennzoil Canada was playing with us, introducing Ultra and then pulling it off the shelves, and that's what caused me to switch from Ultra to M1 in my C5. I see Mobil 1 as a faithful old friend. I know there might be marginally better oils out there, but in all honesty it's not as if you're going to get 25% longer engine life from those oils. 99.999% of M1 users will never see their engines wear out due to anything lubrication related. It's a top quality oil.

Originally Posted By: drain89
I wish I could still use those filters! What would you use on them if you didn't have them?

I used to use the UPFs when they were readily available, but now run the Fram Ultra, or Amsoil EaO, either of which I would consider 'top shelf' for our LSx powerplants.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Castrol is still good stuff. Buy what is on sale. Don't be label loyal SuperTech syn today will outperform 2002 synthetics today.

Exactly. The OP referenced price and synthetic. With that, Walmart has EDGE 5w30 and 0w40 for $21.66.

Originally Posted By: drain89
My car has approx 55k miles. It's a weekend toy and is mostly stock except for a moderately big camshaft.
My local Wal-Mart Stocks Pennzoil Ultra in 5 qt jugs for 27.00 and M1 for 25ish every day of the week. They also stock Fram ultra filters. My local Advance Auto is always running a great deal on oils but varies month to month.

I used to use GC back in the day...but only some AutoZone's here had it on occasion and it rarely went on sale so I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and then Ultra. The last time I changed the oil (probably 2 years ago) I used 6 qt. of Ultra 5w30 and a WIX 51522. Although I'm sure it's still a great oil, it's my understanding Pennzoil Ultra SN isn't as good as the SM was. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I went by Advance Auto to see if they were running an oil/filter deal and get a jug of Mobil 1 0w40 and a Fram Ultra filter as recommended to me by a member on here and LS1tech.com. Right now they're having a deal on Castrol Edge Syntec which includes the 0w30 Euro Formula. 5 quarts for 32.99 plus a free Pure One filter or pay 2.00 more and get a K&N or Fram Ultra filter. Plus they give you 10.00 back in a rebate card. Most of the qts are made in Belgium, but they have several that is made in Germany.

Is the 0w30 still as good as it used to be and does it matter whether it's from Germany or Belgium anymore?

If so, should I stock up on this while there's a deal or would it be worth it to switch to M1 0w40?

Also, of the 3 filters, which is the best?

If the Castrol is still good stuff I'll switch back to it...especially at this price. If the M1 is better I'll switch to it and stock up when there's a sale on it in a month or two.

Stick with the Pennzoil Ultra oil and Fram Ultra filter from Walmart. I prefer SN Ultra to SM Ultra because it had the GTL base stock. But if you see Pure Plus Ultra Platinum, get it in the 10w30 flavor. The 5w30 has higher volatility than the older SN PU.

I just finished an oil change interval with my Camaro on GC 0w30, and noticed the piston slap was louder than with M1 or PU. If all you're doing with your car is street driving and occasionally going through the gears, stay with 30-weight.

Last edited:
Almost always ran M1 5W30 and a Wix filter in my 02 LS1. H/C car and always ran hard. Never any oil consumption. You can't beat the cheap 5 gal jugs at WM. The engine will last longer than you will keep it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I just finished an oil change interval with my Camaro on GC 0w30, and noticed the piston slap was louder than with M1 or PU.

^^^So much for the speculative theories that a higher HTHSV and high PAO base stock content quell piston slap noises.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I just finished an oil change interval with my Camaro on GC 0w30, and noticed the piston slap was louder than with M1 or PU.

^^^So much for the speculative theories that a higher HTHSV and high PAO base stock content quell piston slap noises.
21.gif

I got a good A vs. B comparison when I put in the 50/50 blend of PU 5w30 and PUE 5w40. Piston slap with the engine warm was less with the Pennzoil cocktail.

Roller cam card stated high zinc oil??
Even though zinc is overrated, here are some with more zinc than the average 5w30SN/GF5
Mobil1 0w40
Castrol 0w30 or 0w40
Mobil1 HighMileage 5w30 or 10w30

Look at Redline, Amsoil, RoyalPurple for some well additized non API oils.

A little off the wall here but I have had RMS leaks with these motors as well as a friend with a 99 Trans Am that also has done a few RMS as well. I would try a MaxLife 5w30 HM and just a n ACdelco filter.

I have a stock 1999 T/A, summer driver. I started out with Mobil-1, then went to Pennzoil Platinum and the engine got quieter then I went to QSUD and the engine got even quieter. 5w-30 in all oil grades. I run Wix 51522, Purolator 25288 or Baldwin B1432 oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back